PEAX Equipment

Camp Question

ryansullivan

I'm sure it's been covered before, but what kind of set up do you use for camp out on the plains of Wyoming, Colorado, etc? My buddy and I are a couple college guys looking to keep our trip as cheap as we can this year, assuming we draw tags. We'd prefer to stay out of motels and sleep under the stars instead. Also, is there anything you've found that is must to throw in for camp? Thanks for any advice you guys might have!

Cot, bag, and Orion cooler. Mtmiller has a thread where he describes this exact thing and has pics of his setup for sleeping under the stars. Hope that it won't rain or snow as well.

I usually backpack hunt, but throw in a larger tent, cot or air mattress, pillow, and a spare sleeping bag. You never know if things change where you can hunt close to your vehicle or if you tag out early then you have a comfortable place to sleep.

If driving, figure out how much room you will need to haul game/trophies home. It is probably not too much room. You should have at least half a pickup bed. My toolbox and gas grill take up half of my box (I take the grill when I take my wife). The rest of the box has a second spare tire, 14 x 12 wall tent with posts, several tarps, sleeping bags and pads. Also all of our food and water, inflatable bed, camp chairs, bow or rifle, clothes, 5 gallon toilet, shovel and grate for the fire pit. Pillows in the cab with blankets.
We are very comfortable. I usually omit a bunch of that when I’m alone but if you have the room, take it.
Good luck. If you do not have a bunch of weather to deal with it can be simple and fun. Weather can force you into the truck.

I have done it all; truck, various tents but best is cargo trailer. Park it into prodominate winds and make camp more enjoyable if winds pick up. If you have to use large tent look for a wind break to make camp, if in the open camp can blow away... the bonus of a cargo trailer is all the room

Chris

I'll just put this out there for a fun remembering experience. fiberglass tent poles do not withstand the Wyoming wind too well

Wall tent for sure with all of the fixings! Plus, if you set it up right, it can provide shade during mid-day.

If you're out on the plains, I assume you're hunting antelope or mule deer and its somewhat early season? If so, sleep in the bed of your truck if you have a truck. If not, grab a tarp and string it up so that you can sleep under it. You really don't need much to be relatively comfortable as long as its not super cold out. We usually setup a kitchen with a table and stove and some cheap camp chairs if we're going to be out for more than a weekend. Be sure to bring some good whiskey!

Back of the truck. Coleman two burner stove. Some coolers - one with ice, the others act as cargo boxes for gear until you need to fill them with meat.. What more do you need? This photo is from a recent elk hunt. With two, I put in a full size futon. We camp/hunt this way many times a year.

uc

Back of the truck. Coleman two burner stove. Some coolers - one with ice, the others act as cargo boxes for gear until you need to fill them with meat.. What more do you need? This photo is from a recent elk hunt. With two, I put in a full size futon. We camp/hunt this way many times a year.

uc

I've done many hunts with a similar configuration. The one thing I would suggest is a reinforced piece of plywood running thwart ships on the bed rails at the front of the P/U bed. I think mine is about 2'6" wide or so That way when it's time to sleep the clutter on the floor can be moved up there and afford a more comfortable sleeping space. I'm short so there are times I have slept on it if I was carrying more equipment.

I have also sometimes pitched a two man tent alongside my rig to store stuff and as a changing area.

Son sleeps in the back of his 4runner.

This past fall, we were in my truck. We set up a tent with cots. Not much to it, really. If you don't have camping equipment, your college probably rents it for a good price.

You and your buddy set up different camps in your back yard and see what works best. Then you will be ready when the bell rings.

You and your buddy set up different camps in your back yard and see what works best. Then you will be ready when the bell rings.

very good advice. This alone will turn 2 hour setup into a 1/2 hour setup. Don't overthink it also. This past Nov with 3 of us 95% of our meals were made with a jetboil instead of firing up the grill when we made it back to camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back