Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WY Moose units with 14pts

Lobster.mike

I've got 14 Moose points in WY and am not looking forward to paying the new fee on additional points. Are there any decent units I could draw and have a reasonable chance at a respectable bull? I'm 52 and in decent shape. I appreciate any help. Thanks

I think that boat sailed last application season as "point savers" are jumping in to actually apply in 2018 so do not have another 20 years on the sidelines at what is now $150 a year. You still have a shot at the random side if pick wisely. Look for some nasty point creep in the mid and lower reputation moose and sheep units. As a wise man said, "Points are a racket." Yes, yes they are. You have been racked. Sorry about that. When WY cuts the moose and sheep allocation for NR in half will be another racking moment. Probably by 2020, if my vision is, well, 2020.

You're probably right on all accounts. By the time I add up the fees I've paid for points and then a license I could've swung a guided hunt. But then again I do enjoy prospecting! I've been lucky enough or patient enough to draw some really great tags. I'll just stay on the course and research some units where I'd have a chance of drawing. There's always next year

IF...and that's a big IF, people start to drop out like they say they are...I would make damn sure to apply in a unit with a random tag available...those odds are probably going to be better.

I've been in the Snowy range a viewed some very nice bulls while deer hunting. I'd reaseach a few units, pick one and try to draw it! Caution though moose hunting is addicting.

I have a cabin in the snowy range and see quite a few moose. Actually more moose than deer or elk where I am at. You have a very slim chance for a bull tag. If you decide to go antlerless, pm me, would be glad to share info with you. Richard Bell

I appreciate all of the replies. My wife and have done three self guided Moose hunt out east but the population here has absolutely crashed. We still put in and have enough experience to be successful but just aren't seeing the animals like we used to.

IF...and that's a big IF, people start to drop out like they say they are...I would make damn sure to apply in a unit with a random tag available...those odds are probably going to be better.

Want to make a wager that the applicant numbers drop at least 20%?

I appreciate all of the replies. My wife and have done three self guided Moose hunt out east but the population here has absolutely crashed. We still put in and have enough experience to be successful but just aren't seeing the animals like we used to.

Would more logging help the moose out?

That may be a safe bet...2,362 NR's need to drop out to reach a 20% reduction (with no new applicants, which seems pretty unlikely when you look at the point pool information).

I don't see that happening.

Well I'm done, I started this game too late in life. I met my breaking point for odds and return on $$ for yet another species in WY. I could apply for a cow tag but I am not sure if I would enjoy shooting a cow enough to make a go at it. I've been asked a few times to go to Newfoundland and at this point if I want to be sure to hunt a bull moose it seems like the safer investment. At 13 points I have 3126 people with the same or more points than me. For those with 10 points, you have 4507 in front of you. 5 point holders have 7051. If the split ever goes to 90/10 it will really be ugly odds.

With 13, I would probably go one more year and see how many really do dump their points, then make a decision.

With 13, I would probably go one more year and see how many really do dump their points, then make a decision.

Even if I won the bet and 20% dropped out the odds are too slim for my cost to odds ratio. Most guys that would drop out would have less points than me so no help there and the random draw is a dream. Factor in dropping tag numbers, point creep, and a possibility of a 90/10 split.. I'm out. Better places to put the money. I just hope guys look at the numbers and realize what the chances really are and if the new price is worth it.

Last edited:
Sounds like 20+ years to have a hopeful maybe at a bull moose tag in Wyoming?
Think I'll stick with deer and elk.

Maybe apply for a cow tag? 14 points might not be even be enough for that this year...

I wonder how many people are completely oblivious to the increase in tag and point fees???

Sounds like 20+ years to have a hopeful maybe at a bull moose tag in Wyoming?
Think I'll stick with deer and elk.

You are not counting for point creep at 20+ years. Try 30+ if you get into the game now

Back