Mag Speed or Chronograph?

Addicting

I’ve been loading up some rounds with RL16 and there is a published load chart for a 6.5 creedmoor on Speer’s site but not for my specific bullet. So I set it up for a ladder test starting from 41.8 grains up in 2 grain increases to the Max of 43.5. I only have a 100 yard range so just reading the Target with my error figured in has me leaning more towards purchasing a Chrono or a Mag Speed. There are a lot of positive comments on the Mag Speed, I am just not sure I want to spend that much money for something I won’t use much. I can get a RCBS Chrono for just over half of the Mag Speed.

Just wondering your thought for those of you more experienced with them. Thanks Tony

Between those two I'd either buy the magneto speed or borrow a chronograph from someone you know. The convenience and accuracy is that much better.

Which MagnetoSpeed chronograph are you talking about? The Sporter isn't that much more than the RCBS AmmoMaster unless you found a great deal on one. The Competition Electronics ProChrono is solid and inexpensive.

I currently use a Sporter because of the convenience that SnowyMountaineer cited. If I had an exclusive range I'd still be using an Oehler.

FWIW, I have the Magneto Speed V3 and it definitely affected groups and point of impact with my 300WSM but not my Target 6.5 Creedmoor.

It has never failed to read a shot and is very easy to use.

Which MagnetoSpeed chronograph are you talking about? The Sporter isn't that much more than the RCBS AmmoMaster unless you found a great deal on one. The Competition Electronics ProChrono is solid and inexpensive.

I currently use a Sporter because of the convenience that SnowyMountaineer cited. If I had an exclusive range I'd still be using an Oehler.

Sorry I meant the Caudwell for 69.98 on Amazon compared to the sportster around 165.

I’ve been using the MagnetoSpeed Sporter every since my Ohler got shot. It’s much more reliable, accurate a heck of a lot easier to set up than most chronographs. The downside is since it attaches to the barrel it will shift you point of impact. On most of my rifles it moves the impact up almost 1.5 MOA and left 1 MOA.
This makes load development a little more involved since you can’t shoot for velocity measurements and accuracy at the same time.
If your budget allows for it, a Lab Radar is a good choice. It can measure velocity at different distances and does a better job picking up the bullet than most traditional chrongraphs. I have used one several times and it will sometimes fail to see the bullet.

No way i'm strapping something to the end of my barrel.
I got the Chrony Beta Master.

Also check out Alliant's web site.

Last edited:
I've got the Caldwell. I plug it up to my phone and everything is stored on the app. When I get finished shooting, I walk down to the target and take a pic of it. The pic is stored on the app, as well.

I've got the Caldwell. I plug it up to my phone and everything is stored on the app. When I get finished shooting, I walk down to the target and take a pic of it. The pic is stored on the app, as well.

Have you had any issues with with your Caldwell, missed readings or error shots? I like the app feature but am nervous as to why these are priced near the bottom of the scale.

My cheap-o caldwel is functional and does what I need it to do.

I'll second this.

I had some doubt when I first purchased mine. But after two years of use it has performed as expected. For the money I don't think you can go wrong. The tripod in the kit sucks though. The head broke in the first cold weather that I used it. I would just but the chrono unit if you already have a camera tripod.

No way i'm strapping something to the end of my barrel.
I got the Chrony Beta Master.

Also check out Alliant's web site.
Easy fix. Shoot for groups. Find your load. Chrony after. I have a Shooting Chrony. Not the least expensive, not the most. I haven't personally heard much good about the Caldwell. mtmuley

I've got the Pact MK III but just looked at that Magnospeed deal. I could go for that. Probably you won't get good groups with it on but who really care's. Fire group' for load development the another bunch for checking velocity. $180 on Optic's Planet and Amazon! Nice thing about my Pact is it has a computing unit it feeds data into and if can be used to figure out trajectory. Doesn't need to be hooked up to anything to compute trajectory, just install a battery and then the data you want to do trajectory with and walla, it's done!

I've got the Pact MK III but just looked at that Magnospeed deal. I could go for that. Probably you won't get good groups with it on but who really care's. Fire group' for load development the another bunch for checking velocity. $180 on Optic's Planet and Amazon! Nice thing about my Pact is it has a computing unit it feeds data into and if can be used to figure out trajectory. Doesn't need to be hooked up to anything to compute trajectory, just install a battery and then the data you want to do trajectory with and walla, it's done! Oh yea, no setting up the tipod or running wire's either anymore. What do you know, talked myself into it. $180 from Amazon with free shipping with prime account. Be here the 17th at the latest!

Doing a ladder test at 100yds is very difficult to read. Should be done at 300mimimun. I understand that you only have 100yd range but don’t understand why you’re looking at a chronograph to figure out a load. Am I missing something?

Doing a ladder test at 100yds is very difficult to read. why you’re looking at a chronograph to figure out a load. Am I missing something?

I am just a beginner loader, but in the process of trying to learn I have run across several "experts" who say that you can find your most accurate load by looking for "flat velocity areas" as you go up the ladder. In theory, you will find as you move up in charge the fps will go up, but somewhere up the ladder there will be a 2 or 3 serial loads with much smaller increase in fps, and that the middle of that will be your most accurate "node". I have no way of know if true because I am waiting for weather to warm up a little to test my first loads, but I plan on looking at traditional ladder data and fps data to see if I see this correlation in my loads.

UPDATE: Found a few links that discuss the concept:
http://www.65guys.com/10-round-load-development-ladder-test/
http://www.chuckhawks.com/developing_target_load.htm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/use_chronograph.html
https://patriotdefense.com/fast-track-rifle-load-development/

Last edited:
I've got the Pact MK III but just looked at that Magnospeed deal. I could go for that. Probably you won't get good groups with it on but who really care's. Fire group' for load development the another bunch for checking velocity. $180 on Optic's Planet and Amazon! Nice thing about my Pact is it has a computing unit it feeds data into and if can be used to figure out trajectory. Doesn't need to be hooked up to anything to compute trajectory, just install a battery and then the data you want to do trajectory with and walla, it's done! Oh yea, no setting up the tipod or running wire's either anymore. What do you know, talked myself into it. $180 from Amazon with free shipping with prime account. Be here the 17th at the latest!

Well how about that. Ordered it yesterday and got an e-mail saying it will be here today!

Back