Idaho unit 27 Elk A tag

Any pictures? Maybe I should think about putting in for goat in there before I get too old to do it. Been on any goat hunts in there yet?

I’ve been on three sheep hunts in the Frank but no sheep kills. I passed on a few young rams and lost a good ram to darkness one day. It’s a great place to hunt native Idaho sheep.

I only seen a few goats but they’re there.

Sounds like there is some confusion here. A poor man's sheep hunt is for mountain mule deer. I drew a sheep tag for 27 in 2001 and had a hunt of a lifetime. I saw some goats on that hunt as well. Several guys on this site have posted successful goat hunts in 27 over the years, tough hunts in some cool country. Having a lifetime Idaho hunting license makes drawing a OIL Idaho goat tag very doable for me. This thread has got me seriously thinking about putting in for goats in this area. I can hunt for elk every year in Montana. Chances to hunt mountain goat are much more rare. Plus they are a little easier to pack out of a hell hole like the Middle Fork than elk. :D

Sounds like there is some confusion here. A poor man's sheep hunt is for mountain mule deer. I drew a sheep tag for 27 in 2001 and had a hunt of a lifetime. I saw some goats on that hunt as well. Several guys on this site have posted successful goat hunts in 27 over the years, tough hunts in some cool country. Having a lifetime Idaho hunting license makes drawing a OIL Idaho goat tag very doable for me. This thread has got me seriously thinking about putting in for goats in this area. I can hunt for elk every year in Montana. Chances to hunt mountain goat are much more rare. Plus they are a little easier to pack out of a hell hole like the Middle Fork than elk. :D

Oh, I’ve killed deer there. The score potential isn’t as high as other areas of Idaho but it’s a fun hunt. I shot this buck 5 miles from the airstrip on the last day of season. My hike went from 5 miles to 15 to get camp and the deer back. I want to take my sons in there for a late season deer hunt sometime.

full

Oh, I’ve killed deer there. The score potential isn’t as high as other areas of Idaho but it’s a fun hunt. I shot this buck 5 miles from the airstrip on the last day of season. My hike went from 5 miles to 15 to get camp and the deer back. I want to take my sons in there for a late season deer hunt sometime.

full

Nice! Who really cares about score potential anyway when you can have a fun wilderness hunt like that. Thanks for the picture and response.

Thanks fellas, I don't wanna come off as not trying to do my own research, but I can't find much about unit 16 online but I'll take your advice and start a new thread. Great advice everyone, I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I was in Colorado last year in September and had a nice 5×5 at 10 yards but didn't draw soon enough. But that experience hooked me! We'd like to go in September but can't due to 2 of my friends deciding to both get married in the middle of September

I'd get different friends...

Some photos from our sheep hunt at the northern tip of that unit. 27-2. We came up from the middle fork. I am by no means trying to discourage you but this is some of the roughest county Idaho has to offer. If you can pull it off and get an elk you've got my utmost respect!
26857372_10213187792867111_1139259138_n.jpg
26857211_10213187792147093_692919305_n.jpg
26913467_10213187792587104_1538194878_n.jpg
26913853_10213187793347123_1236164785_n.jpg
But once you get up to the tops you get into more timber.
26913819_10213187793707132_1326073498_n.jpg

Attachments

• 26941181_10213187791627080_1340130495_n.jpg
    26941181_10213187791627080_1340130495_n.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 481
Some photos from our sheep hunt at the northern tip of that unit. 27-2. We came up from the middle fork. I am by no means trying to discourage you but this is some of the roughest county Idaho has to offer. If you can pull it off and get an elk you've got my utmost respect!
View attachment 78981
View attachment 78982
View attachment 78983
View attachment 78984
But once you get up to the tops you get into more timber.
View attachment 78985

Awesome pictures man, that looks like some type 2 fun right there! Do you know if the southern part of the unit around loon creek and seafoam ranger station are pretty much the same type of country?

If you have never hunted in this unit or any mountains Id highly advise not hunting unit 27 for a first time elk hunt. This country is some of the deepest,steepest country the lower 48 offers. Hunting a mere couple miles on foot in here can eat you up.

I watched the eclipse from the middle of Frank Church this summer...yay.

Oh yeah, don’t hunt elk there.

I wonder how may people think that folks say not to hunt elks in the Church just to keep em out because it’s some secret spot and the hunting is super duper and we want to keep it all to ourselves...?
No seriously, don’t drive from Ohio to hunt in the Frank Church for elk.

I wonder how may people think that folks say not to hunt elks in the Church just to keep em out because it’s some secret spot and the hunting is super duper and we want to keep it all to ourselves...?
No seriously, don’t drive from Ohio to hunt in the Frank Church for elk.

^this^
Matt

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't help replying to this. I'm from Idaho and have hunted primarily close around me. But for a few years now, I've been researching some new areas to try to hunt, just to switch it up and have a new experience. It seems like for every OTC unit from 1 to 76 the general response on the forums across the web is that the unit is crap and to try somewhere else. It's easy to get discouraged when reading posts. I've kind of come to the conclusion that it's more about what type of adventure you want, then find a hunt that fits that...rather than going off of what kind of elk/game people say are or are not there because that is all over the board, and more often than not, negative. I've decided to hunt 27 this year. I'm from Idaho and have seen that country and know it's going to be crazy. I know game is going to be far in-between. I know wolves could present a problem. But the country has everything I'm looking for in an adventure. I guess I'm writing this to give encouragement to the OP and anyone else that may be discouraged, no matter what hunt area they are looking at. Pick the hunt/adventure that entices you and go for it. After all, what is the name of this website?

Cheers

Exactly. Headed to 27 myself this fall now that I've struck out on the draw. Already investing in just about everything Kuiu... I am now going to be an "ounce counter" lol

Exactly. Headed to 27 myself this fall now that I've struck out on the draw. Already investing in just about everything Kuiu... I am now going to be an "ounce counter" lol

Your money would be better spent on a gym membership and lift heavy weights to get strong.

Ah...the Crags. My toe nails fall off at just the thought of the place.

I would like to give the place one more try with a deer tag in my pocket.....with 99% of my plan to not come out heavy.

I would not, should not, will not elk hunt in there.

I don't think it's humanly possible to get a bull out of there in late Sept without spoilage.

Ive hunted unit 27 in sep and unit 15 in October. the frank is not a place to be taken lightly however it was on of the most challenging and rewarding hunts ive ever been on (even though i only came home with a muley) Unit 15 was also a great hunt LOTS of whitetail in that area and a deer tag would be good for buck or doe so long as its whitetail. For me the elk in 15 at least for me have been pretty spread out but ive never gone up there sand not seen elk! Be willing to get off the beaten path and you will be fine. dm me for more info if you would like.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back