Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Idaho unit 27 Elk A tag

Hoyt1994

Hi everyone, my name's Joe, I live in Ohio and I'm brand new to this forum. 3 of my buddies and I are planning a diy backpack hunt for elk with unit 27 A tags. We're planning on hunting the first 3 weeks of October. Just looking for an adventure and maybe a legal bull. We plan on having deer and wolf tags too. I am fully aware that this is a very rugged unit but we're young and willing to hike. I've been to Alaska once and out west 3 times. Any information ya'll would be kind enough to share I'd be grateful for. It's a big unit and I'm not sure where to start. Thank you!

First thing, I'd advise not choosing 27 unless you're already getting tired of other areas.

Here's why;

1.) Very limited access. VERY limited. It's wilderness like you cannot believe. 1,500 square miles of virtually roadless backcountry, much of which could have snow by October. Airplane or jet-boat is better than packing in, but on foot would be seriously difficult. Fun and an adventure for sure, however.
2.) The Elk populations are more sparse than you would think, given the size of the unit.
3.) There's an OTC rifle hunt in Sept during the rut. One of the only places in the west where you can hunt the Elk rut with a rifle OTC. So why then choose October?
4.) It's browtined Bull only, so limits your opportunity for success even further.
5.) It's a capped tag, so must be purchased July 10th to have a sure shot at it.

If an October adventure is really your game-plan, with a rifle, consider some other areas at least before committing to 27. BUT if you do it, be sure to come back and give us all a pictorial report of your adventure!

- Joseph

Thanks for the insight! I am actually having second thoughts on 27 as there seems to have a lot of people with the same thoughts on it as you. Do you have any knowledge about the Elk City zones, specifically unit 16? Also looking at unit 6.

One thing to consider is in Idaho we have Elk "Zones". So most units will also include sever other units within that zone on the same tag. For instance, the "Panhandle" includes units 1-9 I believe, which is an amazing amount of country. (Mostly JUNGLE!). Elk City has three units I believe. Elk City is a good area, and far enough away from the bigger towns to keep the hunter populous down a little, compared to the Panhandle, McCall, or Boise River zones.

Regardless, there's Elk all across Idaho, and the majority of it is OTC hunting. Several zones offer Bull Elk during October, so do your research, and come out with a plan.

One thing about the Panhandle, is there's a few opportunities for a Cow Elk on the same tag as well, within 1 mile of private property. (Which is easy to find with many large Logging companies owning property that is free access to hunters.). So you could potentially fall-back to shooting a cow if the Bull's are phantoms. 4-5-6-7 are some of the best Elk units in the state, but be prepared to get off the beaten path, and also be prepared for VERY THICK forest and underbrush.

Good-luck!
- Joseph

Thanks! It's between unit 16 and 27 right now, probably gonna wait and research before deciding.

If you are just looking for an adventure I'd say go for it. If you are looking to fill a tag and coming home without something is abject failure, then look elsewhere.

I can't emphasize it enough, don't understimate the country and your fitness level. I live here, am in decent shape and the mountains still kick my butt.

Is there a specific reason why?

All the above? There are better, easier units to hunt elk in Idaho. You’re picking one of the worst time slots to hunt elk. (Hint: watch Randy’s elk hunting videos). You’re from Ohio and are probably not prepared for a hardcore wilderness hunt like the Frank (from a ex-pat Ohioan).

Don’t take this the wrong way, I want you to come to Idaho and spend money. If you do come, I’d like you to have a chance at success. First, I’d research draw units and apply as a group. Consider a cow hunt if you haven’t hunted elk. Two, research units using IDFG’s Hunt Planner. National success rate on bulls is around 18% for reference.

Thanks for the advice guys. Don't worry, I'm not easily offended, to be honest the terrain kinda worried me but intrigued me at the same time�� The 23% success rate did too. I think I've spent about 20 hours on gohunt and different forums now, I'm considering unit 16 instead but can't find much information about it anywhere. Does anyone have any insight into that unit?

I'm considering unit 16 instead but can't find much information about it anywhere. Does anyone have any insight into that unit?

To answer that question, you are better off starting a new thread. Or, much better, searching the forums for that unit and doing a braoder google search for the same. There will be info from btoh sources that you will be able to piece together and begin to form a strategy.

As a general rule, just posting a shotgun answer without having done research yet, will net you minimal response.

I think the B tag for "Elk City" unit 14-15-16 would be a great choice. It gives you two weeks in October of Rifle, and there's lot's of remote hunting. It's close enough to places like Elk City, or Grangeville or even Riggins if you needed a break for a day. Good compromise between hunting pressure, and elk population. The Wolves have done a lot of damage, but I believe things are picking back up for Elk in that area within the last 3-5 years, considering successful Wolf hunts which have taken place. I see Elk every time i'm up that way.

Remember to buy your tag as soon as it go's on sale! July 10th... It's a capped tag and can often sell out first few hours.

- Joseph

Thanks fellas, I don't wanna come off as not trying to do my own research, but I can't find much about unit 16 online but I'll take your advice and start a new thread. Great advice everyone, I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I was in Colorado last year in September and had a nice 5×5 at 10 yards but didn't draw soon enough. But that experience hooked me! We'd like to go in September but can't due to 2 of my friends deciding to both get married in the middle of September

Few people truly understand the remote and ruggedness of the Idaho Middle Fork country until they have put boots on the ground. I would not elk hunt there without horses. If I did have horses, there are a number of saner places to take them to than this.

CCI04062014_0004.jpg

^^^That is spot on^^^

If I were forced to only hunt elk in that country the rest of my life...I wouldn't.

I’ve killed elk in 27 and may do it again. I just wouldn’t hunt stupid areas for packing elk.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back