Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 7mm-08 Ok for Cow Elk?

Hope to be venturing out west for my first cow hunt this coming fall, if I can ever make up my mind on a unit to apply for (yikes).

So I have a 7mm-08, its my go to rifle and I have taken multiple whitetail deer with it with great success. But I realize that elk are a smidge bigger so I just wanted to make sure this is an ethical round to use?

Round of choice: Hornady 139gr SST's

Thanks

I am no expert, but having seen this question asked and answered many times I will give it a first shot -- If you can properly place the shot, take shots within a reasonable distance (less than 350 yds or so) and use a quality bullet, 7mm08 is plenty of gun for cow and bull elk. Generally, folks will say that SST (or BT) is not really a quality elk bullet, but instead consider a 140gn Accubond, 140gn Partition, 139gn Interbond or 125gn TTX -- all have been reported to do well out of a 7mm08 for elk.
    Last edited by VikingsGuy; 01-12-2018 at 05:33 PM.
    "Freedom is NOT Free"

3. Default

Thanks Vikings. I guess I probably should have used the search function first.

Daughter killed a cow this year with 7mm08. 140 Partition. From first shot to being dead, she went 5 feet. All about shot placement.

My 7mm08 was plenty for a cow 2 years ago. I would,however, advise you to use premium bullets built for elk. Mine was 140 gr accubond.

Use that cartridge with complete confidence. I would try 140 gr. Partition, Accubond, or E-tip and go happily on your way to getting a nice cow elk!

7. Default

I appreciate all the replies. Glad to hear that the caliber is sufficient. Even more happy to get the advice about the bullet choice. Think I have some accubonds in my stash. I’ll spend some range time with them and go from there.

Yep, do as the guys say and ditch the SST for a better bullet that when put in the finals will end that cow hunt quickly!

9. Default

I’m not a bullet expert at all. I chose the SST’s because they grouped well out of my gun. I will say that I have had great success on whitetail’s with them. Never a farther run than 20yards.

But I could Imagine those elk will require something a little more substantial.

7-08 is plenty gun for a cow elk. Like others said, you probably wouldn't want to use a rapid expansion bullet like SSTs, though.
    Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly.

Micah 6:8

11. Default

As others have said, keep the ‘08 and dump the SST’s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo and Ned
    Thin out their numbers

As long as you are keeping it in ethical hunting range 300 yrds and under. Cow or bull won't know if it was shot with a 7mm08 or 7mm RUM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    As long as you are keeping it in ethical hunting range 300 yrds and under.
    It will ethically kill elk past 300...from what I hear.

Good advice by others...accubonds, tsx, or partitions would be a much better choice for elk.
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

As long as you are keeping it in ethical hunting range 300 yrds and under. Cow or bull won't know if it was shot with a 7mm08 or 7mm RUM.
    I agree.
    God I hate man buns...

"under 300 yds"....HAHAHAHA, tell Buzz that!
    "Talent, hits a target, no one else can hit... Genius, hits a target, no one else can see."

Ethical hunting range? I love when Easterner give elk hunting advice. I guess my 400 yard bull kill with a 257 Roberts was unethical.

Quote Originally Posted by brymoore View Post
    Ethical hunting range? I love when Easterner give elk hunting advice. I guess my 400 yard bull kill with a 257 Roberts was unethical.
    300 yards the 7mm08 is starting to loose steam as per the ballistic charts for such a tough animal. The fact that the question is based off of someone who is not familiar to the rounds capabilities should be a concern to you. I would never claim that someone who has capabilities and experience taking game beyond my comfort zone or what the numbers read as unethical. Many factors come into play when squeezing the trigger on an animal and I will always answer on what should be done vs what can be done. If you want PM me or share a hunting camp and talk about what we have done I would be more than happy to listen and share with you. We as hunters need to stick together and learn what to post, say, or do in public because you never know who is watching.

Double post
    Last edited by Redman; 01-13-2018 at 04:06 PM.

As you can see from these stats Redman, this bullet they recommend for elk is not "running out of steam at 300 yards" like you stated for the 7mm-08! In fact, it's still got plenty of steam at 400+ yards when knowledgeable experts have always said 1500 ft/lbs at POI is a good thing to shoot for when hunting elk and 1000 ft/lbs for deer.

Good Elk Hunting Load:
    7mm-08 Rem. rifle cartridge manufacturer: Hornady.
    Bullet weight: 139 Grains.
    Bullet ballistic coefficient: .486.
    Bullet muzzle velocity: 2,950 Feet Per Second.
    Bullet muzzle energy: 2,686 Foot Pounds.
    Bullet trajectory is set at 3 inch mid-range rise.
    Rifle true zero is 255 Yards.
    Energy in Foot Pounds: 2,346 at 100 yds 2,042 at 200 yds 1,770 at 300 yds 1,527 at 400 yds 1,311 at 500 yds
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 01-13-2018 at 04:19 PM. Reason: add on

20. Default

Y’all don’t need to waste your time arguing about it. 300 yards is plenty far enough for me. If they are father away than that, I can walk.

Quote Originally Posted by molliesmaster View Post
    Y’all don’t need to waste your time arguing about it. 300 yards is plenty far enough for me. If they are father away than that, I can walk.
    Not arguing, but rather just stating fact that the other member misspoke of regarding the capabilities of the cartridge that is essentially a .308 necked down to that smaller bullet diameter. 300+ yards is really not that far to put a bullet in the vitals of an animal the size of an elk if you have a decent rest.

I killed a cow with a 7mm-08 a couple of years ago. It performed beautifully. Bullet under the skin on the off-side, 200 yard shot. I used a 150 grain Accubond LR.

The rifle is absolutely up to the task, just use a better bullet. Here are some factory loadings I'd consider:

Federal premium: 140 trophy copper, 140 trophy bonded tip, 140 partition
    Nosler: 140 accubond, 140 e-tip
    Hornady: 139 GMX Superformance
    Swift: 150 grain Scirocco II
    Even the 150 grain hot cor in Federal blue box would probably be just fine.
    Have fun! Once you find one the rifle likes, you'll be done with the easy part;-)

If your gun likes Hornady bullets, I've had good success on elk with Interlocks, they're just a standard lead tip bullet. Then the Interbond is the next step up.

300 yards the 7mm08 is starting to loose steam as per the ballistic charts for such a tough animal. The fact that the question is based off of someone who is not familiar to the rounds capabilities should be a concern to you.
    I would agree if we're talking about the capabilities of the hunter, but in an honest discussion about the capability of the ROUND, I'm thinking you sold it short...by quite a bit.

For the record, I've seen elk shot with one a fair bit...mature bull at 486, a mature cow at 629, and a few more mixed bulls/cows from 300-400 all with 140 accubonds.

Nobody is going to argue that getting closer is always the best choice, but is ridiculous to claim a 7-08 is only a 300 yard elk rifle, my experience says that is not true.

Nobody would argue either, that an inexperienced hunter that doesn't have the best rifle skills should keep ranges on the shorter end. I agree with that whether shooting a .243, a 7-08, a 300 magnum, or any other rifle.

Two separate discussions, IMO.
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by molliesmaster View Post
    I would worry more about boots, packs, glass, driving to your hunting spot, what you plan on having for breakfast, etc. than how a 7-08 is going to handle elk to 300...

-Norman Maclean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast