7mm-08 Ok for Cow Elk?

Y’all don’t need to waste your time arguing about it. 300 yards is plenty far enough for me. If they are father away than that, I can walk.

Not arguing, but rather just stating fact that the other member misspoke of regarding the capabilities of the cartridge that is essentially a .308 necked down to that smaller bullet diameter. 300+ yards is really not that far to put a bullet in the vitals of an animal the size of an elk if you have a decent rest.

I killed a cow with a 7mm-08 a couple of years ago. It performed beautifully. Bullet under the skin on the off-side, 200 yard shot. I used a 150 grain Accubond LR.

The rifle is absolutely up to the task, just use a better bullet. Here are some factory loadings I'd consider:

Federal premium: 140 trophy copper, 140 trophy bonded tip, 140 partition
Nosler: 140 accubond, 140 e-tip
Hornady: 139 GMX Superformance
Swift: 150 grain Scirocco II
Even the 150 grain hot cor in Federal blue box would probably be just fine.
Have fun! Once you find one the rifle likes, you'll be done with the easy part;-)

If your gun likes Hornady bullets, I've had good success on elk with Interlocks, they're just a standard lead tip bullet. Then the Interbond is the next step up.

300 yards the 7mm08 is starting to loose steam as per the ballistic charts for such a tough animal. The fact that the question is based off of someone who is not familiar to the rounds capabilities should be a concern to you.

I would agree if we're talking about the capabilities of the hunter, but in an honest discussion about the capability of the ROUND, I'm thinking you sold it short...by quite a bit.

For the record, I've seen elk shot with one a fair bit...mature bull at 486, a mature cow at 629, and a few more mixed bulls/cows from 300-400 all with 140 accubonds.

Nobody is going to argue that getting closer is always the best choice, but is ridiculous to claim a 7-08 is only a 300 yard elk rifle, my experience says that is not true.

Nobody would argue either, that an inexperienced hunter that doesn't have the best rifle skills should keep ranges on the shorter end. I agree with that whether shooting a .243, a 7-08, a 300 magnum, or any other rifle.

Two separate discussions, IMO.

Y’all don’t need to waste your time arguing about it. 300 yards is plenty far enough for me. If they are father away than that, I can walk.

I would worry more about boots, packs, glass, driving to your hunting spot, what you plan on having for breakfast, etc. than how a 7-08 is going to handle elk to 300...

From personal experience on whitetails, SSTs from 308 and 300 Win would shoot very accurate; as others have said. But I found from both guns, the jackets would separate from the lead. I would then find chunks of jacket throughout the cavity. I load 140 gr Interlocks for my 13yr old 7mm-08. They group 3/4 inch and do alot of damage on deer and bear. I haven't tried the new ELDs in 7mm-08, but think they would do good also. The ELDs worked good on my elk this year, 300 Win. Just stick with a quality bullet and put it in lungs.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back