Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

7mm-08 Ok for Cow Elk?

molliesmaster

Hope to be venturing out west for my first cow hunt this coming fall, if I can ever make up my mind on a unit to apply for (yikes).

So I have a 7mm-08, its my go to rifle and I have taken multiple whitetail deer with it with great success. But I realize that elk are a smidge bigger so I just wanted to make sure this is an ethical round to use?

Round of choice: Hornady 139gr SST's

Thanks

I am no expert, but having seen this question asked and answered many times I will give it a first shot -- If you can properly place the shot, take shots within a reasonable distance (less than 350 yds or so) and use a quality bullet, 7mm08 is plenty of gun for cow and bull elk. Generally, folks will say that SST (or BT) is not really a quality elk bullet, but instead consider a 140gn Accubond, 140gn Partition, 139gn Interbond or 125gn TTX -- all have been reported to do well out of a 7mm08 for elk.

Last edited:
Daughter killed a cow this year with 7mm08. 140 Partition. From first shot to being dead, she went 5 feet. All about shot placement.

My 7mm08 was plenty for a cow 2 years ago. I would,however, advise you to use premium bullets built for elk. Mine was 140 gr accubond.

Use that cartridge with complete confidence. I would try 140 gr. Partition, Accubond, or E-tip and go happily on your way to getting a nice cow elk!

I appreciate all the replies. Glad to hear that the caliber is sufficient. Even more happy to get the advice about the bullet choice. Think I have some accubonds in my stash. I’ll spend some range time with them and go from there.

Yep, do as the guys say and ditch the SST for a better bullet that when put in the finals will end that cow hunt quickly!

I’m not a bullet expert at all. I chose the SST’s because they grouped well out of my gun. I will say that I have had great success on whitetail’s with them. Never a farther run than 20yards.

But I could Imagine those elk will require something a little more substantial.

7-08 is plenty gun for a cow elk. Like others said, you probably wouldn't want to use a rapid expansion bullet like SSTs, though.

As long as you are keeping it in ethical hunting range 300 yrds and under. Cow or bull won't know if it was shot with a 7mm08 or 7mm RUM.

As long as you are keeping it in ethical hunting range 300 yrds and under.

It will ethically kill elk past 300...from what I hear.

Good advice by others...accubonds, tsx, or partitions would be a much better choice for elk.

Ethical hunting range? I love when Easterner give elk hunting advice. I guess my 400 yard bull kill with a 257 Roberts was unethical.

Ethical hunting range? I love when Easterner give elk hunting advice. I guess my 400 yard bull kill with a 257 Roberts was unethical.
300 yards the 7mm08 is starting to loose steam as per the ballistic charts for such a tough animal. The fact that the question is based off of someone who is not familiar to the rounds capabilities should be a concern to you. I would never claim that someone who has capabilities and experience taking game beyond my comfort zone or what the numbers read as unethical. Many factors come into play when squeezing the trigger on an animal and I will always answer on what should be done vs what can be done. If you want PM me or share a hunting camp and talk about what we have done I would be more than happy to listen and share with you. We as hunters need to stick together and learn what to post, say, or do in public because you never know who is watching.

As you can see from these stats Redman, this bullet they recommend for elk is not "running out of steam at 300 yards" like you stated for the 7mm-08! In fact, it's still got plenty of steam at 400+ yards when knowledgeable experts have always said 1500 ft/lbs at POI is a good thing to shoot for when hunting elk and 1000 ft/lbs for deer.

Good Elk Hunting Load:
7mm-08 Rem. rifle cartridge manufacturer: Hornady.
Bullet weight: 139 Grains.
Bullet ballistic coefficient: .486.
Bullet muzzle velocity: 2,950 Feet Per Second.
Bullet muzzle energy: 2,686 Foot Pounds.
Bullet trajectory is set at 3 inch mid-range rise.
Rifle true zero is 255 Yards.
Energy in Foot Pounds: 2,346 at 100 yds 2,042 at 200 yds 1,770 at 300 yds 1,527 at 400 yds 1,311 at 500 yds

Last edited:
Y’all don’t need to waste your time arguing about it. 300 yards is plenty far enough for me. If they are father away than that, I can walk.

Back