Yeti GOBOX Collection

Going it alone

I try to put a trail camera up ,overwatching my base camp.
They may get my stuff, but a well hidden camera can help catch, and prosecute a theif.
Never had anything stolen from any camp I packed into. But had some tree stands stolen from a campground once.
Since then I place one or two cameras and check the pictures regularly for activities.

Since I hunt all over CO and take advantage of reissue tags, going solo is liberating. No coordinating license draw w a buddy, I can grab a lone tag when it becomes available. I use a SPOT PLB for wife's peace of mind, since much of CO elk country lacks cell coverage and I don't stay near trails or other camps. My truck has a large locking storage area w no windows.

I've done a few solo hunts but no solo elk hunts. That will probably change this fall.

Finding a hunting partner with similar habits as you can be super difficult to find. I like going solo but then also enjoy going with someone else once in awhile. I think it's better to go solo than to go with somebody you know isn't going to want to hunt like you do. I went with my brother in law a few years ago on a hunt and while it was a lot of fun, he isn't a big hunter and was begging to stay in a hotel the 2nd night. Needless to say, we ate tag soup.

I try to put a trail camera up ,overwatching my base camp.
They may get my stuff, but a well hidden camera can help catch, and prosecute a theif.
Never had anything stolen from any camp I packed into. But had some tree stands stolen from a campground once.
Since then I place one or two cameras and check the pictures regularly for activities.

Good point, I'll have to keep this in mind!

Did a solo hunt in Idaho in 16’. Flew from PA to salt lake, hunted for a week, flew back. Was great, the whole thing, except.......would have been better if I got to share it with someone. Some of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen with my own two eyes and pics are worthless. Always wanted to do it, and can say I did but that part of me is gone. I’d rather share it with a friend or family. But I get it, and I do hunt alone a lot in Pa , but the grand adventure was different on my own. As far as communication I rented a satellite phone. Worked slick and my wife slept a lot better knowing the griz hadn’t gotten me.

Steve

P.s. there is a valley in Idaho that was so perfect, I think if God forgives me for all I’ve done I may wake up there when I go on to my reward.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back