MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Going it alone

Andyhunter13

Hi, I used to hunt with a guy who has now decided that he does not want to hunt anymore, so I am going to try to go it alone this fall. I figured that I would try a semi-guided/drop camp outfitter in Colorado or New Mexico. I was wondering if anyone has every been a camp by themselves, sharing the rest of the camp with another group of hunters? Most of the places that I have been looking into have camps for 4-5 hunters. I would love to find another hunter who might want to go out with me, but if not I guess I should find a camp with a cook, so I won't have to deal with sharing the chores with guys i don't know.

Finally, if anyone has a recommendation on an outfitter, please let me know!

thanks,

Andy

Go it alone, you won’t be sorry. My first elk trip was solo and it was relaxing not worrying about anyone else for once. Do it!

never had an outfitted hunt so no help there.

what chores? interested to hear what your camp and routine around camp looks like.

I go alone most every hunt, multiple hunts and states most years and the chores are precious few, by design. I am not camping, just hunting. No campfires or wood chopping (Aug-October hunts mostly so not all that cold).
Premade dinners and breakfasts get warmed up quickly with almost no dishes. It is an unusual day that I am in camp at all during the daytime at all so no real opportunity to pile chores on myself anyway.

A tent for a solo guy is not much of a chore to set up take down. As it is smaller it is EASY to relocate as needed with minimal effort.

If you are physically able Go alone, and maybe skip the outfitter and instead streamline you gear ‘needs’ and necessary chores to be easily manageable by one person.

good luck with however you go about it.

If you do go it alone I would suggest getting an inReach unit. The 2 way texting is nice to keep in touch with the family back home, which would give your family a bit is stress relief in being able to keep in touch with real time texting and not a generic message like a SPOT. Also, the inReach has an SOS feature, plus you could reach out to a packer if need be. The inReach also gives you weather reports for your exact location as well. If you do go alone, you need to figure in packing meat out if you are successful. You will need to skin and quarter your animal and get it hung, then start your pack out to the truck. An elk will take several trips if you are going it alone, so you have to figure in weather and predators and your own physical ability. I've hunted alone as well as in groups and they are both satisfying in different ways. I personally like to hunt with friends when I can, but the solitude of a solo hunt if nice too sometimes.

Most of my hunts are solo out of a tent. Though I appreciate hunting partners, I get to make my own decisions from planning to execution and I find that easier as there is no need to compromise. Like John pointed out it does take extra work when it's time to pack out game and some type of locator device is a nice thing to take along. Now that I am older, I take a ACR ResQLink 406 EPIRB (no 2 way communication, but no monthly fees). One of the great things about hunting with a good partner is you can inspire each other when things get tough as well.
If you camp near a trailhead or a campsite that accommodates several camps you can get to know the other hunters and look out for each other or share observations if the mood strikes you.
I've considered Drop Camps in the past but have no experience with them. I can't get by the thought that if I pay for a drop camp will the outfitter place me in one of the areas he consistantly takes hunters?

I would echo Cush's advice on getting an inreach. I feel like that's a game changer for a solo hunter being able to communicate with loved ones and also emergency personnel. Even if I'm hunting with friends, I don't leave home without it. And it's nice that you can just activate it for whenever you need it, like during hunting season.

Go alone! No BS and you can do what u want when u want to! I have heard horror stories of drop camps but never done them myself. I have a lot of experiance with the lone camping and traveling and its not for everyone, some people need human contact or get a little nutty. As far as communicator its great but with some planning you can find places to hunt that have atleast some signalfor a cell. My favorite elk spot i can send/rec texts if i leave my phone in truck on dash so everynight i eat dinner in truck and send few texts to wife. Every 3/4 dàys i will drive the 20 minutes down mountain to get enough signal to call. And most units have some access anymore just might have to figure out where and i usually do that during scout trips or first hunt. Good luck

Chris

If you do go it alone I would suggest getting an inReach unit. The 2 way texting is nice to keep in touch with the family back home, which would give your family a bit is stress relief in being able to keep in touch with real time texting and not a generic message like a SPOT. Also, the inReach has an SOS feature, plus you could reach out to a packer if need be. The inReach also gives you weather reports for your exact location as well. If you do go alone, you need to figure in packing meat out if you are successful. You will need to skin and quarter your animal and get it hung, then start your pack out to the truck. An elk will take several trips if you are going it alone, so you have to figure in weather and predators and your own physical ability. I've hunted alone as well as in groups and they are both satisfying in different ways. I personally like to hunt with friends when I can, but the solitude of a solo hunt if nice too sometimes.

Do you know if businesses in the area out in CO or WY have the inReach units for rent? With all the other gear I need to get, that's $500 I'd rather not spend if I can rent one.

I hunt alone for the most part.Always have. I had a couple buddies who I hunted/camped with a few times, maybe 10 times total. Both passed away a few years ago.
I have packed folks way back in as a packer & guide. I have been on 2 drop camps,both great.
That said I don't go near as far as I used to. I'm way older & wiser. I hunt within range of camp or access now.
Thinking of doing something besides just pointing on a map with neighbors before I leave now & checking in when the cell works. But I still hunt alone,it would not make much difference in the end...

I am 69 and go alone. Get up when I want go to bed when I want. Go when I want eat what I want. I agree with others If you plan on hunting where there is NO cell service get a INREACH.

Do you know if businesses in the area out in CO or WY have the inReach units for rent? With all the other gear I need to get, that's $500 I'd rather not spend if I can rent one.

I looked into the various PLB's last year. Here is my take:
The InReach offers two way communication (texting). There is another brand that sends and receives preloaded texts to predetermined numbers as well. They are great if you need to consistently check in with home or communicate with others and can't find a cell signal anywhere on the mountain. They can remotely summon help if you get injured and even get you a tow truck if needed (and they agree to come). They can be used for non emergency situations. The negatives to me are as follows. The initial cost, They work like an alarm service for your home meaning they alert a person at a desk somewhere that relays the location data to the emergency personnel, and require a monthly service plan.
I opted for a ACR ResQLink 406 EPIRB. $250. No two way communication, but no monthly service plan. They broadcast to the same satellite system that planes, and ships use with no middleman USCG etc. The signal can be picked up by passing planes as well. The thing is they are for "life threatening" emergencies only.

Last edited:
Reading a book about 4 Ruskies marooned on an island that makes point Barrow look like the "Blue Lagoon". They had twelve musket balls, ax, knife, 20 lbs of flour for six years. Not even a bush on the islands, too far north.

Point being we tend to over think this stuff, just go hunting alone, if you don't have fun don't do it again, go with someone else or find a new hobby you can have fun doing.
But I would not pay to be dropped with strangers. Too close of quarters with too many likely pitfalls. I watched a guy do it with us once on a 6 man caribou hunt, five of us and him. I felt bad for him as our group was a bit "different", but he did outstanding at adapting.

Couple thoughts for you:

1. Instead of a guide/outfitter, you could always stay in a hotel room and hunt solo. I know some of the units down in South Central NM have hotels that put you 5-10 minutes from elk country. Heck, in one of Randy's recent videos they stayed at a rented cabin for the hunt. Chores would depend on what you decide to eat. Hot shower every night and a comfy bed would be major pluses. You'd also have a phone to let folks know you survived the day. I solo hunted last year in an area with spotty cell reception. I agreed to call my wife and family at the end of each day to let them know I was safe. Was a better lifeline than going off the grid for 10 days.

2. With so many folks on this forum from different parts of the country, you could probably find someone willing to help if you run into a problem while solo or while traveling. You would first have to decide where to hunt. Some folks might even be willing to lend a hand packing out.

Couple thoughts for you:

1. Instead of a guide/outfitter, you could always stay in a hotel room and hunt solo. I know some of the units down in South Central NM have hotels that put you 5-10 minutes from elk country. Heck, in one of Randy's recent videos they stayed at a rented cabin for the hunt. Chores would depend on what you decide to eat. Hot shower every night and a comfy bed would be major pluses. You'd also have a phone to let folks know you survived the day. I solo hunted last year in an area with spotty cell reception. I agreed to call my wife and family at the end of each day to let them know I was safe. Was a better lifeline than going off the grid for 10 days.

2. With so many folks on this forum from different parts of the country, you could probably find someone willing to help if you run into a problem while solo or while traveling. You would first have to decide where to hunt. Some folks might even be willing to lend a hand packing out.

Ditto,

I stayed 2 nights in a motel during my deer hunt last year, to cut time driving thru elk in the dark.

My buddy has just about crapped out on me. He is giving up so this fall I will hunt alone. I am 68 and if I kick the bucket they can just look for my bones. The only thing I worry about is all the thieves roaming the forests here now. Can't leave anything of value around. I can still get out there and get an elk out on my own. I sleep in the back of my truck and my bow and pistol will be with me during the day so should be no problem. Go out there and do it on your own.

The last post has me concerned. Do people have a lot of issues w/ people stealing stuff from their base camp? I'd really rather not have to pack up and carry my stuff w/ me every day on the mountains.

Regarding thieves working the backcountry trailheads and camps, unfortunately it occasionally happens around here in South Central Colorado. I've seen warning signs posted by the Forest Service at some trailheads. Let's face it, if you leave your vehicle at a trailhead in many areas, the thieves pretty much know that the odds are pretty good nobody's going to show up later at night. So, they break into vehicles and steal whatever you may leave in your truck. As some hunters take a long a back up rifle, and might leave it in their rig, that's a pretty good incentive to bust some glass if you're a thief. So, just know that.

Best part about going it alone is you can do what you want how you want. You don't have to make a group decision to move camp, you don't have to rely on anyone else to do what they said they would.

Regarding thieves working the backcountry trailheads and camps, unfortunately it occasionally happens around here in South Central Colorado. I've seen warning signs posted by the Forest Service at some trailheads. Let's face it, if you leave your vehicle at a trailhead in many areas, the thieves pretty much know that the odds are pretty good nobody's going to show up later at night. So, they break into vehicles and steal whatever you may leave in your truck. As some hunters take a long a back up rifle, and might leave it in their rig, that's a pretty good incentive to bust some glass if you're a thief. So, just know that.

How sad... I'll be sure to keep everything in my truck out of sight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back