Apparently every unit everywhere sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several above me have said it but I really suggest you pick a unit and go hunt. Set realistic expectations and have a good time. I promise you that if you do enough digging on forums and message boards you will find bad reports about even the best unit out there. Lots of people tend to set completely unrealistic expectations of what they expect on their hunt. Gerald is spot on, when those expectations aren't met people want to blame things. The weather, the unit, the other hunters etc are the problem. This mentality is completely amplified by any sort of a point system. The more points a hunt takes to draw the higher expectations people put on it and when it doesn't meet those expectations you see a lot of " its wasn't worth the points" "there are better units" "don't burn your points on this one" type comments. Look at the hunt like and adventure and a learning experience for the future and you wont be disappointed with the outcome.

That all said its not a bad idea if its your first hunt out west to think about an antelope or mule deer hunt as the ice breaker as an elk hunt is a mentally and physically demanding roller coaster. Don't set your sights to high if you aren't ready for it.

Makes a guy scratch his head. Why do we do what we do? Some are just into the kill, some into the total experience, some for the challenge, some as a way to get away from people, some for the camping, and some for all of these reasons. Some chase horns, some chase meat, some do both. Some like to make it harder and throw sticks, some like big bore rifles, some like both. Some like to hike, some like to pack in, some like to drive roads, some like to sit on water. Some buy all the new techy stuff, some rely on tradition. Some will throw dollars at it, some are on a budget......get my drift. We hunters are all alike in some respects, but also unique and different in our own approach, our desires of what to get out of it. You have to find out some of these things on your own, on some,you can rely advice. If you get bogged down in choosing where to hunt, you honestly are robbing yourself of the first fun part of a hunt, as in planning a hunt. FUN, not uncertanty, not stress, not fear, not negativity. There is already enough of that in every day life. I could give you my two bits on Colorado, but right now, I say, take a chill pill, get excited that you have the health and means to even consider a hunt. A lot dont

Wow!!!! Very well said.

I ended up hunting a different unit this year because my hunting partner didn't get a tag in our usual unit, waited 2 days and it sold out! When I first got to the new area I couldn't believe the amount of camps and trucks. Thought for sure we were screwed. Took a couple days and we found elk. Then took 2 or 3 days of hunting them and we had a handful of close calls and I ended up getting a decent 6x6. I only saw another hunter 2x in 6 days of hunting when we weren't on the road. Point is, it seems to be true that people won't go a mile off the road.

Great troll for sure!!
I’ll let you in on a little secret
Every unit everywhere sucks.

Interesting perspectives folks. I was beginning to feel a bit like the OP myself. You all are a wealth of information!

I hunt OTC in Colorado. 3 years of hunting. 2 bulls, got to see some great country and some great animals. If your just in it to kill stuff maybe hunting isn’t for you. Pick an OTC unit do the research on the area and get out there. Tons of guys on this forum that are willing to help you with unit selection.

It’s public land there is going to be people, if you are willing to push harder and further you will be successful. Turn that frown upside down and get out in the mountains and enjoy. Good luck out there.

People who wine about units just suck at hunting, period. There are good bulls taken in just every unit in ID,CO,MT, and WY every year. Saying there is too much xyz is just a cop out by guys who couldn't hack it and want to place the blame on others.

Average success rates for elk hunting across the Rockies in OTC units probably something like 10-15% but among people who leave the truck I would imagine it's closer to 30%,and among those few who pack in, work hard, and spend 5-10 days in the field I would imagine it's 80-90%.

My first 4 seasons I didn't get an elk, simply because I didn't put in the effort.

I've been hunting elk on public land since '98 (Im a resident of WI) and all of my research is done online, on the phone, or looking at maps. IMHO elk hunting is really not that difficult if you develop a process for evaluating whats most important to you on a particular hunt and stick to it. Don't put too much stock in online opinions and don't psych yourself out of something as great as public land elk hunting! I have 8 pts in WY and my brother has 10, we picked WY this year to draw our elk tag (we have pts in every state that allows for every species we can build for) after spending a few years looking at options and considering what we want out of this hunt. We narrowed down our focus to 2 units and obtained lists from two organizations we subscribe to and starting calling people that have hunted the units we are looking at drawing. I've also talked to biologists in both areas as well. Some guys have said worst hunt they've ever been on and they wouldn't go back. After asking why and digging a little deeper there were reasons within their control that could have lead to a much different result. Several others, that clearly did a lot of homework and were prepared for what the hunt was going to be had great hunts and harvested great bulls. The success rates for elk hunting throughout the west are roughly 20%. Im of the opinion its the same 80% not filling their tags and the same 20% that do (give or take some for luck). A positive attitude and the willingness to hunt hard will determine which group you fall into. My brothers along with myself and my father have hunted a particular unit in northern NM 4 times and our success rate is 75% (im personally 4/4 on bulls, 2 rifle, 2 archery) The unit has an average success rate of less than 25%...

I enjoy doing the research and planning for a new area while trying to stay in that 20%. I even enrolled in the elk101 class just recently...even though I feel like a seasoned elk hunter there's always something more to learn and improve on!

my advice is to go to youtube and watch "land of the free" and see what how great of a time can be had on OTC hunts in multiple states. Those guys on that series did a great job showing the ups and downs of hunting public land OTC areas! Their overall positive attitude is infectious!!

adubs

Last edited:
People who wine about units just suck at hunting, period. There are good bulls taken in just every unit in ID,CO,MT, and WY every year. Saying there is too much xyz is just a cop out by guys who couldn't hack it and want to place the blame on others.

Average success rates for elk hunting across the Rockies in OTC units probably something like 10-15% but among people who leave the truck I would imagine it's closer to 30%,and among those few who pack in, work hard, and spend 5-10 days in the field I would imagine it's 80-90%.

My first 4 seasons I didn't get an elk, simply because I didn't put in the effort.

I agree. The unit that a buddy and I hunt, is an average OTC unit in MT. We drive from NC, so we don't scout all year or spend any time other than the planned 14 day hunt. He's been going for over 20 years, and I have since '14. There are alot of hunters there, with an average of 6% success rate. However, we are averaging as a two man group 75% since I've been going. I realized quick that those 6% averages also account for those who are half hearted and complain about how bad hunting can be, and give up in the first couple days.

Last edited:
I have 12 preference points for elk in WY and 20 elk points in both Arizona and Utah. Hopefully someday I'll draw a place that doesn't suck.

Lot of posativity realy helps. Was not looking for a pitty spot, and prob would not believe ya anyway. I was suspecting some over hyping of negatives to keep ppl away. I got a plan i believe and gonna disregard any forum coment regarding a unit being shitty. Gonna base my units on draw odds, success rates, and places id like to backpack camp in. If nothin else ill take my bow for a sweet hike.

OP a positive attitude will get you way further than anything else, and that goes for way more in life than elk hunting...weather you say "I can" or "I can't", you're right.

Draw a unit, then try to get information on that unit from those that have been there. People will usually message you. If they put info on an open forum, the whole world sees it.

Jump in with both feet and don't look back. That nagging feeling you get as you're forking over the cash for that NR tag will pass as soon as you hit the mountains and roll down the window.

I really appreciate the positivist glad I am not alone in getting frustrated in reading nothing but bad about all units, but like many have said lots of ppl play down their spots and that makes perfect sense.

I really appreciate the positivist glad I am not alone in getting frustrated in reading nothing but bad about all units, but like many have said lots of ppl play down their spots and that makes perfect sense.

This really is the Crux of the the issue and the thread. The only people who are going to write about a unit are those individuals who got skunked and want to pass the blame for their failure. Anybody who was successful in a unit is going to stay tight lipped... especially on the internet talking to strangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back