Apparently every unit everywhere sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest finding a unit that seems pretty good and hunting it on a cow tag to learn the unit. If you're successful you get a freezer full of elk, if you're not successful then you're out a lesser amount of money but you gained knowledge of an area.

I hunted a unit in Wyoming that I've never been to, this year. There were a lot of roads and not many places in the unit that weren't accessible to atv's and trucks. It's funny, I saw soooo many hunters on the roads and in their campsites, but not one in the woods. I did see a bunch of elk though, every day of the hunt. If you want to go, just make your best guess (based on some research), and go. If you're meant to be an elk hunter, you'll probably have a fantastic time. Internet reviews of hunt units are tricky because some people suck at hunting. Others are really good at it. Some are very lucky, some get screwed. Some have awesome weather and others don't. You probably can't tell the difference online.

I had a serious hunting-life change this year. A few years ago I would be in the woods on opening day going through some overgrown blow down whatnot and I would be saying to myself "This sucks!! Why do I hunt??" This year I showed up for a archery hunt in the pouring rain...which turned to dumping snow and from the second I stepped into the woods my heart was happy.
You only live once and if something that you consider your passion, or even your serious hobby, brings you more heartache than it does joy...it's time to find a new hobby.

Funny thing about perspectives and human nature is we tend to place the blame for experiences we don't enjoy on "other" things. The unit, the weather, hunters, low elk numbers, wolves... blah, blah, blah. When we have success, we say, "Check out this bull I killed."

I had a hunt like that this fall. My friend, my daughter and I all drew limited entry elk tags this fall. The tag took 14 years for my friend to draw, 10 years for me, and 2 years for my daughter.

My daughter killed her first bull and I shot the biggest bull of my life. My friend had a horrible trip and was extremely unhappy with his experience. The blown tire, the high winds, the fact his hunting partner and he were hunting unfamiliar territory and couldn't seem to adapt..... By the time the rest of our group was finished packing out our elk and were turning our focus on helping him kill a nice bull, he was gone, headed for home without a word to the rest of us. In the end, his disappointment and perspective colored his entire experience and instead of being thrilled for my daughter and I and philosophical about the circumstances, it actually became a point of contention with me that somehow I was partially to blame for his disappointment.

We've had way too much shared history for it to end a friendship, but it reinforced a growing realization inside me that I don't enjoy spending time with negative people.

Some days you're the windshield, some days you are the bug and bugs that can't hack a little windshield time with a smile on their face usually don't have the ability to enjoy it when they finally get to be the windshield.

Congrats to you and your daughter! What a bummer though. I might feel a little resentful of that fly in your sweet, sweet ointment.

You mentioned giving up on elk hunting and going for deer or pronghorn. I wouldn't give up on elk but I would recommend going for deer or antelope first. I went elk hunting my first couple trips and have since hunted deer and pronghorn. Plan on going back elk hunting this year if I get a tag. But feel I could have been more successful on my elk hunts if I had gone deer or lope hunting first. They are a little easier hunt with a higher chance of being successful. Plus you learn so much just coming out your first few years. Go deer hunt the area you think you might want to elk hunt. You will have a decent chance of killing something and will know if it is worth coming back to hunt elk. Or if being successful is very important to you, go hunt lopes first. You will have a blast and figure out the logistics of it all.

Don't listen to people saying that there are no elk or deer left in Montana, yes there could be some vast improvements, but it's not like they shot the last passenger pigeon. Hell, dudes are finding huge bull elk dead just by walking so it can't be that bad.

All the negative talk is fake news. Turn off the TV.

Right, go hunt unit 202 in MT with a general tag...report back with pictures of that big bull you kill.

Maybe you'll get lucky and turn up one of the 8 elk the FWP observed on their last population flight.

As for the OP, don't listen to people that are giving advice and haven't hunted the areas you're talking about.

If you hang your hat on hunting elk in most of Western Montana as a NR, with no experience in the area, you're setting yourself up for some major disappointment. I personally have hunted a lot of Western Montana, and without exception, its the poorest elk hunting I've had since I started hunting in 1980. I told the lead biologist this at the latest Missoula meeting, and he agreed with my statement, "The hunting in Western Montana, for everything except wolves, turkeys, bears, and lions is worse now than when I started in 1980". He said, "I agree with that".

Can a person get elk there? Sure, if you have a lifetime of hunting experience, and know the country better than anyone else...yes. The question is, does a person that comes from another state, half-way across the US, with limited elk hunting experience have a reasonable chance? I say no.

If you're happy to just be taking your rifle for a hike, with a 10% or less chance of taking a bull, hunt Western Montana...that's what statistics tell you. With low bull to cow ratio's, elk harboring, and 120K+ of your best friends to compete with for 11 weeks...that's your reality of elk hunting in MT.

But, who knows, maybe you'll find a dead bull that was squished by a tree...solid proof of how great the hunting is in Western Montana.

Maybe one last thought, the only way you're ever really going to find out about a unit, or learn to hunt elk, is by just getting out there.

Many have given you solid advice.

I thought he's been researching Colorado and Wyoming not Montana. I'd agree with Buzz that there are better states for opportunity for a new elk hunter. The reality is though it take years and multiple times out to get things figured 0ut and then get lucky enough to get one. You aren't going to hit a homerun everytime. Give it your best shot, have fun and take notes for the next one. You guys that watch Randy's show obviously missed the seasons where he got skunked on multiple hunts. These are areas he's never hunted and gave it a whirl for 5 days. Many of the areas he's returned to and has learned something from the previous trip to better his odds. Maybe it's a different drainage, different unit or even time of year. Hunting isn't one and done on figuring it out.

Just Do It!

Hunting, much like life, is what you make it. Get out there and try it. There are no guarantees you will come home with any meat but guaranteed, with the right attitude, you will come back with great memories.

I have made the trip out west twice thus far and haven’t gotten an elk yet. These were still two of my most memorable hunting experiences. Each time my hunting partner killed an elk and I got to experience the pack out and enjoy in the meat. Last trip I connected on a mule deer.

We were planning our next trip on the drive home!
Once you try it you will be hooked.

If your research only consists of google searches for a particular unit and reading forum posts you are doomed.

One time a guy told me that a certain unit was "the worst unit in that mountain range"...now we just call it "worst unit" and try and draw it every year!!

Yea, Unit 37 really does suck. I recommend finding another unit with less hunters.

If you are giving up on elk just doing the research, the hunt is going to eat you up and spit you out.

Sheesh, no kidding...time to take up golf!

My buddies and I have an annual deer hunt in a unit with lots of hunters and average hunting. I think every year the group has gone about 50% on bucks, with a bonus bull elk one year. We've had heat, extreme cold, wind, rain, snow, and even a wildfire. I haven't heard anybody with an unfilled tag complain yet, and everyone signs up for it again the next year. You've got to learn to play the game...

Makes a guy scratch his head. Why do we do what we do? Some are just into the kill, some into the total experience, some for the challenge, some as a way to get away from people, some for the camping, and some for all of these reasons. Some chase horns, some chase meat, some do both. Some like to make it harder and throw sticks, some like big bore rifles, some like both. Some like to hike, some like to pack in, some like to drive roads, some like to sit on water. Some buy all the new techy stuff, some rely on tradition. Some will throw dollars at it, some are on a budget......get my drift. We hunters are all alike in some respects, but also unique and different in our own approach, our desires of what to get out of it. You have to find out some of these things on your own, on some,you can rely advice. If you get bogged down in choosing where to hunt, you honestly are robbing yourself of the first fun part of a hunt, as in planning a hunt. FUN, not uncertanty, not stress, not fear, not negativity. There is already enough of that in every day life. I could give you my two bits on Colorado, but right now, I say, take a chill pill, get excited that you have the health and means to even consider a hunt. A lot dont

Best part, there are 'random' tags in WY...CO you can most likely, just go with a OTC...All depends on what you're looking for!

Picking a unit is easy the statistics are usually available for units. The hard part is picking where in the unit to hunt and what approach is best suited to the topography/animal/season/weather.

Seriously just pick a unit with good numbers and get to researching the stuff that decides whether or not you will be successful

Getting frustrated. Been researching Wyoming and Colorado mostly Wyoming lately trying to find a place to apply but as j dig every place end with it sucking and being a pumpkin patch. I'm okay with hunters but I do want to see critters. I don't know. Maybe be best to give up on my first elk hunt and go for something less in the spot light like mule deer or prong horn. I been looking at unit 37 and in that are north and south of it in Wyoming but to have only 9% draw odds which is about as crappy as I'm willing to go it still seems like the area is rumored to suck. I figured archery only would be better odds.

Yup! :mad: It's not worth the effort and aggravation so I suggest you just quit hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back