What to do with leg shanks?

Flatrock

What do you guys do with leg shanks? My dad always used to throw them in the garbage but that's not me. In the past I've done a few different things. I've meticulously cut out the meat from the sinew (way too damn much time). Other times I've just cut it into chunks and thrown in it in the grinder (not real crazy about). This year I'm saving some and am going to try putting them in the crockpot or use a recipe. What say you?

I braise them...agree that Hank Shaw has some good recipes. All that connective tissue melts and the meat gets really tender. A lot less work than cutting them up. You could also saw them in cross sections for osso bucco. I have not tried that yet, but it’s on the list.

Google "montana outdoors deer shanks" for a bunch of Tom Dickson recipes.

The sinews in slow cooked shank turn gooey and I don't like the end result as much as simply frying the shank chunks. I discovered how good they are when I sampled some stew meat I was browning: Remove the really thick sinews and cut the remaining pieces into chunks. Roll the chunks in flour and brown them until medium rare. Sprinkle some salt on them and eat. If you don't think they are awesome try more salt. If you still don't like them you are either very weird or you cooked them too much. If that is the case continue on with any recipe that calls for browning stew meat. They are very flavorful in a redneck sort of way and the sinews that are left are short enough that they eat about the same as a chicken gizzard. Shanks from a young deer are especially good.

I stick the shank meat in the crock pot with some beef stock for at least 8 hours. In the final hour or two of cooking, throw in carrots and potatoes. I hardly trim them at all. The connective tissue/silver skin just dissolves, making for some pretty robust stew. Thicken it with flour or corn starch to make gravy for stroganoff. Shank meat is WAY underrated.

I put them in the crock pot then pull all the meat off. Mix with bbq sauce and make sandwiches.
Almost same as me, cook in slow cooker for 4-5 hours, then i shred the meat, mix with bbq sauce, stick in burger bun with melted cheese, yum!
Cheers
Richard

I braise them...agree that Hank Shaw has some good recipes. All that connective tissue melts and the meat gets really tender. A lot less work than cutting them up. You could also saw them in cross sections for osso bucco. I have not tried that yet, but it’s on the list.

I cook them as osso bucco. I only do elk and antelope because the tallow and marrow from deer is NASTY.
I season them with salt and pepper, dust with flour and then give them a good browning. Then either put them in a crock pot or a dutch oven with some wine or beer and a can of diced tomatoes. Simmer them for 5-6 hours then add carrots, fresh mushrooms, celery and simmer til carrots and celery are tender. Thicken sauce with a cornstarch slurry. I like to serve over mashed potatoes or rice.
The meat is fall apart tender and delicious. You could serve it to guests who would swear it is the best veal osso bucco they ever had.
These are some pics of antelope shank I cut off the bone. I cooked it the same way as shank on the bone. I will say the antelope took quite a bit longer to get tender but it was delicious.
DSCN0513.jpg

Last edited:
Nah, I can't stick with just two words. I make my own version of Osso Bucco. Sometimes I don't cut them and just slow roast the shanks, but my flavoring remains the same. Liberal portions of red wine (whatever is cheap) liberal amounts of beef broth or beef bullion. Garlic cloves, a whole chopped onion, rough cut celery, carrots, two rough chopped jalapenos seeds in or out dependent on how spicy you like it.

Slooooow cook @ 225 in the oven overnight or for at least 8 hours. Serve meat and veggies over garlic mashed potatoes. I haven't burgered shanks for the last two years. Don't think I ever will again.

Thanks fellas! Glad I've been freezing them separate and I won't throw them in the grinder. Looking forward to trying a few of the ideas here.

Like others have said, osso bucco. But lately I've been braising them and using the meat for tacos. The shanks are usually used first in my house because the wife and kids love them in tacos.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back