Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Any cow elk only hunters this year?

I usually get an either sex tag. I like antlers but I believe in non-discrimination based on sex when it comes to public land elk hunting. For those who aren't politically correct, Never look a gift horse in the mouth!

Well, the SDGFP commission voted Friday to cube big game points.

That means I and my wife will be hunting cow tags for a few years in preparation for hunting out of state. We will never draw a bull tag here.

I hunt on a cow tag every year. The unit I hunt is an otc bull unit but an easy draw for cow. Since there are brow tine restrictions hunting a bull means an extra trip to pack out the proof. I care more about the freezer!

Any one ever rifle hunt cows in September in Wyoming? Theres a few tags I've seen with restrictions as far as "below (Name) creek, above Highway (number)" that start in September and go through December.

Anyone ever go on such a hunt in northwest Wyoming? Reply on here or PM me if you don't want the information to be public.

I have seen that most of the land is private but remotely accessible (long hike). I also know that it is grizzly country. I am assuming thats why the tag exists and is historically undersubscribed.

We are applying for cow tags in Wyoming in a zone that normally has lots of left over tags. If successful we will apply for doe antelope tags in a nearby zone that also had left over tags last year.

I hunted with a friend in Colorado 421. We saw some, but they were on private.

i have to wait 7yrs before i can even put in for a bull again in my home state. Hopefully i can draw a cow.

I am in the same boat. And at 57, this was probably my only NV bull. I have drawn cow tags the last 3 years and have only seen bulks within shooting range!

Cow only for me this year, and probably for a while .

I usually pick up a cow tag but already have 2 bull tags to focus on this year, should i not fill both bulls (unlikely) i may fill cow tag. If i draw any great tags i will not even buy a cow tag, only have 2 freezers. With 2 elk 2 deer 2-3 lope add some bear and and draw result tags looming room is a premium. I dont know what i am gonna do if i draw a moose or bison tag??? Guess its a good problem but cow hunts are great starter hunts or family/friend hunts. Not to hard, easy to fill, dont care about horn size and usually hunt in easier spots to access, now that i think about it maybe i should focus on cows i bet my knees would benefit...lol

Chris

My first year to Colorado 3 years ago, I had an otc bull tag. It was a great camping trip watching cows. The last 2 years I've taken my 2 sons, 1 each year. They both drew cow tags and we've come home with a cow each year. This year he (my youngest who is 14) is putting in for a cow tag and I'm leaving my rifle at home. More fun "guiding" them. Some year I might pull the trigger on an elk.

Drew cow for next year as my second choice. Wanted to get my first elk hunt so went for an easier tag.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back