PEAX Equipment

Any cow elk only hunters this year?

I usually get an either sex tag. I like antlers but I believe in non-discrimination based on sex when it comes to public land elk hunting. For those who aren't politically correct, Never look a gift horse in the mouth!

Well, the SDGFP commission voted Friday to cube big game points.

That means I and my wife will be hunting cow tags for a few years in preparation for hunting out of state. We will never draw a bull tag here.

I hunt on a cow tag every year. The unit I hunt is an otc bull unit but an easy draw for cow. Since there are brow tine restrictions hunting a bull means an extra trip to pack out the proof. I care more about the freezer!

Any one ever rifle hunt cows in September in Wyoming? Theres a few tags I've seen with restrictions as far as "below (Name) creek, above Highway (number)" that start in September and go through December.

Anyone ever go on such a hunt in northwest Wyoming? Reply on here or PM me if you don't want the information to be public.

I have seen that most of the land is private but remotely accessible (long hike). I also know that it is grizzly country. I am assuming thats why the tag exists and is historically undersubscribed.

We are applying for cow tags in Wyoming in a zone that normally has lots of left over tags. If successful we will apply for doe antelope tags in a nearby zone that also had left over tags last year.

I hunted with a friend in Colorado 421. We saw some, but they were on private.

i have to wait 7yrs before i can even put in for a bull again in my home state. Hopefully i can draw a cow.

I am in the same boat. And at 57, this was probably my only NV bull. I have drawn cow tags the last 3 years and have only seen bulks within shooting range!

Cow only for me this year, and probably for a while .

I usually pick up a cow tag but already have 2 bull tags to focus on this year, should i not fill both bulls (unlikely) i may fill cow tag. If i draw any great tags i will not even buy a cow tag, only have 2 freezers. With 2 elk 2 deer 2-3 lope add some bear and and draw result tags looming room is a premium. I dont know what i am gonna do if i draw a moose or bison tag??? Guess its a good problem but cow hunts are great starter hunts or family/friend hunts. Not to hard, easy to fill, dont care about horn size and usually hunt in easier spots to access, now that i think about it maybe i should focus on cows i bet my knees would benefit...lol

Chris

My first year to Colorado 3 years ago, I had an otc bull tag. It was a great camping trip watching cows. The last 2 years I've taken my 2 sons, 1 each year. They both drew cow tags and we've come home with a cow each year. This year he (my youngest who is 14) is putting in for a cow tag and I'm leaving my rifle at home. More fun "guiding" them. Some year I might pull the trigger on an elk.

Drew cow for next year as my second choice. Wanted to get my first elk hunt so went for an easier tag.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back