Advice for transitioning service member.

JLDemo

Just looking for some real world experience from those whos been in my shoes. I'll be leaving active duty service soon and just wondering if anyone has any tips, tricks or advice they'd like to pass on in any facet in regards to the situation. Besides finding a job, interviews and so on I think the biggest hurdle of unknown I'm facing is the VA. No clue on their processes. If anyone out there is an HR manager, I'd love to hear from you on the do's and don'ts on resume writing, salary negotiations and interview strategies. Also, if you've every used the GI Bill, I'm all ears on lessons learned. I have a lot of briefings and research to tackle on my own, but it'd be nice to hear from some experience. Also all ears on advice for potential employers, I have a few places on the top of my list but can't put all my eggs into a few baskets, I've got to keep an open mind. Thanks in advance.

Unable to assist with the VA world however on the other front you mentioned... jobs, review www.usajobs.gov . Vets receive a leg up (rightly so - thank you for your service to our country) and there are a vast variety of positions available - worldwide.

I was medically retired in '15 and have some training with the VA process (as well as my own experience). I also currently work in HR for DA. Drop me a PM and we can talk further.

Thanks for your service.

Where are you going to be living? What are you looking to do? The company I work for hires a lot of former Military

Talk about Pandora's box. My thoughts for you, I've been out 12 years.

1. Sign power of attorney for DAV (or similiar agency) and let them fight the fight for you. They know it and are good at it. You can start this before you even get out.
2. GI Bill: Depends on what version you have as you were in when they switched it. This is not a hard or difficult since the expiration of it isn't impending. I recommend finding wehat you want to do with school or certifications, etc. and then talking with their Education Officer on this kind of thing.
3. Do sign up for the Veteran Life Insurance. Do not let that go.
4. Get copies of absolutely everything. Medical record, Service Record, citations, etc and put in nice accordion style plastic file. Keep it all in one place. Also digitally scan and keep online copy.
5. REgister you DD214 at your county courthouse, they will keep a copy for free, privately.
6. Once you have a VA rating, there are lots of options for discounted hunting tags. WY has some help there for residents and many others have it for non residents. If you are currently in a state that offers lifetimes licenses, see about getting one before you leave.
7. Take the transition serious. It is more than just hairstyle, miltiary time, and uniform change. It will take time and sometimes you will have to be purposeful in deciding to not be or do something. Don't be afraid to reach out for help, even if its just to ask questions. Help doesn't mean you need "counseling," it means you are no longer employeed by the US Gov't and you gotta figure out how civlians do it (or probably more correct, don't do it.)
8. Very often your status as a veteran on your resume is enough for you to rise to the top of a list. But, still learn how to translate from military to civilian terms and jobs.
9. Don't be ashamed to use discounts and benefits that companies give you. Don't expect it, but feel free to ask if they have a discount. (FWIW, Del Rio has a very nice one...). Home Depot, Busch Gardens, Airlines, hotels, they are everywhere.
10. VA Home Loan: if you haven't used this yet, google it. Use it. Love it.
11. Lastly, write down your experiences now. Voice record them. They will only fade with time.

I was medically retired in '07 after being wounded in Iraq. My VA process went fairly quickly since it was in the beginning of the war. I retired in February and started getting paid in July. Now claims are taking up to 2 years. I used the VFW as my power of attorney for my claim and they did well by me. The VA deemed me non employable, so I didn't have to worry about work and skills and stuff like that. There are many companies and government agencies that give preference to veterans. If I remember correctly you get a few bonus points on federal job exams for being a veteran. Think hard about your MOS and what skills you have from it that would translate to the civilian sector. Leadership, organization, working under stress, and things like that may seem contrary, but they are huge key words on a resume. I used my post 9/11 GI Bill to get 2 degrees. You should be able to do the determination decision paperwork while you transition out in your classes. In my experience the book payments came quickly, but the BHA payments took a while to catch up to me. Take advantage of it!! I bought my home with a VA loan and it was awesome. One thing to remember is that you're going to be sort of lost for a while. You lose your sense of brotherhood and trust and being a part of something with a purpose. I've been out 11 years and I still have issues with that. Get some hobbies to fill in your time and occupy yourself. Most states allow you to collect unemployment for a while after you get out if you're not collecting retirement pay. Take advantage of it even if it's only for a month or so. That gives you time to look for the best job possible, gives you some down time to travel and fish and hunt and just enjoy being a civilian for a while before you start for the man. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Agr, I need a new Admin NCO. That is if you can deal without getting sub standard housing allowance. Lol

In all seriousness, I wish you the best. Keep you eye on USA jobs we post a ton of Air Guard Tech jobs. There is one active one for your career field here with the middle contract we got. Plus side it’s less windy in Michigan, too. But the pronghorn hunting sucks.

Last edited:
PM sent SFC B.

Thank you Sytes, I've created an account in usajobs and monitor it on a regular basis. Only crappy deal is I can't apply to federal jobs until I'm within 120 days of my separation date. So a lot of these jobs I get excited about close way before I can even apply. A federal LE job would be great, but wish I could stay in the west and north of the border with one.

Don K, I'll be living in Cheyenne. As far as what I want to do, up for any career, of course federal and state jobs are high on my priority list but I'm very interested in several apprenticeships. I'm trying to navigate resume writing at the moment so I can submit an application for an apprentice lineman here in town.

Thank you for the tips 406LIFE, now if I can get you to commit to that bird hunt, we could chat more about it over some brews & decoys!

Cushman, thanks. I'm prepared for most challenges but losing some of my most trusted friends in uniform is going to be hard. They're a bunch a knotheads with constant shenanigans, but they're knotheads I trust. I haven't joined the VFW yet, need to look more into it, but I am a American Legion member. I haven't switched over from the Montgomery to the Post 911 yet, any insight on the differences? How was the GI bill overall?

Thanks a bunch Idahoarcheryhunter, hope to be in your neck of the woods hunting something soon or trying to fit in during BHA rendezvous.

Tony, I'd love an AGR slot! But If leave the west it's going to be on a lake in Missouri or at the very least south of Big Ten country. I don't think I could make the swap from blue to green, I kind of like being the Army's 911 button. Gives me ammo to throw shade during softball tourneys. :)

The hardest part for me was being on my own. Civilian life is a complete 180 from military, from the way people treat you, work ethic, business practice etc...
I used the GI bill, it was pretty straight forward, the school liaison will be able to help you with that.
As far as resumes and job hunting, i found that a lot of employers were intimidated by my resume. I actually had to tone down what was on there..nobody wants to hire someone that will potentially take their job.
Good luck on your transition!

Oh and one last thing..don't be that ranger marsoc pj sniper medic that starts every sentence with "when I was in..."

First thanks for your time and sacrifice as a service member. I wanted to throw out there the possibility of a job in the fire service. I can't speak for every locality, but most that I am aware of give preference points for service members. Typically it is a civil service type test and and interview to make a list that new hires come off of when there's an opening. After all, people don't like cops, but love a firefighter!:hump:

I love the support military give military. Way it should be.

I have 3 brothers would did military, 2 career and 1 went out on total disability. They were so very proud of their service. Between the 3, Korean, Viet Nam and Desert Storm. Dad was WW II.

JL Demo. Thank you for your service.

Linkedin, Monster and CareerBuilder might help. Build up the online details and they come looking for you. :) Beware though, I have not looked for a job for a long time and some of the people on these are trying to get people to do sales jobs...etc.etc...that have zero to do with what they are looking for. Watch out for that crap and ask LOTS of questions. Good luck !

My wife used to hire and fire for a department at a hospital. A large percentage of the firings, and some of the applicants who never got hired, were due to what they put up on "social media". Delete or really clean up any Facebook/youtube/twitter crap you have before interviews.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back