What's the deal with CDS?

I think I get it, but really dont understand why they would make a scope thats dials were in a different measure than the reticle subtensions. So I am also curious if anyone has a good reason for it. Wouldnt that just force you to think in both MOA and MIL? Whats the potential upside? As per the OP, even if you dont plan to use the cds system at first and stick with mpbr and getting as close as possible (which I agree 100% is the best method), for the 39 extra bucks it would cost to have it on a vx3 I would do it and learn to use it at the range. Will only add enjoyment over the long haul and with turret lock and zero stop there really is no downside. Ill be purchasing one from Schmalts here shortly myself.

You’re right, it is very stupid to mix the two but Leupold did it for years. They used to only offer moa dials and the only ranging reticle you could get was a mil based reticle. Only in the last few years have the offered a moa reticle.

MOA turret with a mil reticle is like the following...
-you have a pile of lumber for building a shed
-your building plans are all metric
-your tape measure is standard
Now build the shed as fast as you can, before the lumber bounces into the forest or the wind shifts. :)

I really like CDS and have set up all my rifle this way now. I find the system very effective. It's important to note that all ranges I shoot at game have been verified on paper. If you do your part, the CDS works.

I always respect the guy that takes the time to verify at long range on paper and not just trust his CDS dial or drop charts from a ballistic app. I do the same and have great confidence in my shot because of it.

Schmalts! Thanks for being the ultimate optics resource!
This might be a silly question, but is there any weight difference in a scope with CDS vs. one with out it?

Can't say for sure but i can say any difference, if any would amount to fly shit.

I’ve come to the same conclusion as Randy. Especially after having a Leupold scope fail to track properly.

Zero it and hunt. 300 yards is still a long ways. Go the ballistic reticle route if you need to shoot beyond that. Or if you must dial, go with a fully functional tactical scope.

This. A reticle is a better mouse trap for hunting as far as I am concerned and for the reasons of simplicity, reliability and speed to deploy.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back