357 mag shot cup designs for small game

Millsworks

I am about to try to improve upon some types of ways to make a shot load for 357 revolvers.
Planning on using a .223 cut down and slotted to expand, as a shot cup. Inserted into some .357 maximum brass and loaded up with # 9 shot.
It seams most shot loads for revolvers have trouble building pressure enough to be very effective at very far.

Has anyone out there had any truly good success loading shot rounds with a combination like I have planned?
I'm thinking I need a faster burning powder than what is generally used in .357.
What powders have given the best velocities for you that chronygraphed the loads?

I'm hoping to be able to take rabbits and grouse at 20 or so yards. All the stuff I've shot so far out of a 6 inch barrel , barely made the 20 foot mark for efficiency.

Any advise or ideas from you guys experience?

I'm no reloader but I think the biggest component missing to extend range on such loads is a choke. Of course a I could be wrong. Good Luck.

I'm no reloader but I think the biggest component missing to extend range on such loads is a choke. Of course a I could be wrong. Good Luck.

...and a smooth bore.

I played around with a 357 for small game a lot when I was younger. Larger shot made it more lethal, but didn't really increase range. The shot pattern is about a 16" at 5 yards. . I killed a few grouse (well stunned them enough to wring their necks) and gave up on the idea. A 22lr is far better for small game in a pistol, way more effective, and cheaper. A buddy has a Judge and with 410 shot its really no small game getter beyond about 10 yards either, and it shoots about 5x as much shot at the 357.

I would think using something like a cut down shell would basically make that your main projectile vs the shot. Another Idea is to just get some 110-125gr lead bullets, load light and plink away.

All this talk of small game hunting with a pistol, makes me want to go blast some bunnies this weekend. :D

The only practical use of a shot load in a .357 mag is for snakes ,rats,or in my case, I want to shoot grouse and rabbits with a hand gun that is also for bear protection with standard rounds.
Going to do some serious experimenting before taking it to the feild for game. Hopefully the thin brass shot cup will extend the range some.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back