Shared HT life.

hank4elk

Thought I would share.

I was digging around my full freezer last week & found 2 hidden gems. A brisket & shoulder roast that came from the bull Corey Jacobsen took on his hunt last year in NM with Randy. Corey was more than generous in his gift of the bull & BF....well,he is just Randy. He shared their hunt on his vid.
He is generous beyond words and I hardly know the guy. I am gifted to call him a friend.

I shared most of that bull with my neighbors and last weekend shared corned elk & cabbage w/tatters w/the boys.
I thought I would share dinner tonight. Corned elk hash & ranch eggs.1 10 18 010.JPG1 10 18 008.JPG1 10 18 012.JPG

Thanks for sharing your life Randy Newberg!

Last edited:
Looks like good eating! Never have made corned roast before, looks like I may have to now after seeing your spread there.

EZPZ I got the basic from Rulmans Charcuterie & Hank Shaws Buck Buck Moose.
Soak in brine for 5-7 days & boil...err berl, for those folks...
This was a cup of Kosher salt, 1/2 cup sugar,2 tblspns pickling spices from market,1 tsp pink salt, a gallon or so of water.Enough to cover meat in container to put in fridge. Boil heavy til salts desolve & spices soak good.
Remove & cool. I put meat in and cover with the brine. Cover & leave in fridge for 5-7 days.
Boil in big pot for an hour or so.Remove & slice.
Covered taters w/cabbage to steam. Mustard & horseradish..mmmmm

Working on the pastrami recipe,but elk is real lean.Last batch came out like jerky...but real tasty...lol
Oh ,the reubins are to die for.

Last edited:
I usually make a few corned venison roasts every year...always excellent! another option instead of boiling is to smoke the roast after brining it...then slice it up for sandwiches. it turns out just like pastrami and with zero gamey taste.

That looks incredible. I'm going to try to resist the old rummaging around in the fridge late at night thing now...

EZPZ I got the basic from Rulmans Charcuterie & Hank Shaws Buck Buck Moose.
Soak in brine for 5-7 days & boil...err berl, for those folks...
This was a cup of Kosher salt, 1/2 cup sugar,2 tblspns pickling spices from market,1 tsp pink salt, a gallon or so of water.Enough to cover meat in container to put in fridge. Boil heavy til salts desolve & spices soak good.
Remove & cool. I put meat in and cover with the brine. Cover & leave in fridge for 5-7 days.
Boil in big pot for an hour or so.Remove & slice.
Covered taters w/cabbage to steam. Mustard & horseradish..mmmmm

Working on the pastrami recipe,but elk is real lean.Last batch came out like jerky...but real tasty...lol
Oh ,the reubins are to die for.

Thanks, Hank! I am all over this next week. Those pictures are fantastic.

I've got to buy that book, Buck Buck Moose! That corned roast might've just confirmed ordering it today, looks amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Hanks books are great.
I have the shanks from the bull still too & waiting to go into braised slow cook from his book,or Oso Bucco.

I believe BF & Hank are in southern AZ as we speak on a Coues deer & quail hunt. Could you imagine the fare at that camp? The stories?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back