Hello from NW Ontario.

renello

Been awhile since I frequented hunting forums and felt I needed to reach out and make some new hunting friends in western states. Me and my wife are middle aged and live in Atikokan Ont. We also own land that we enjoy to the west of Atikokan near Fort Frances Ontario. We harvest the odd mature buck but eat our tags most years. In years past we have gone on a few adventures to Wyoming and Colorado to hunt mule deer and antelope. I have not pulled the trigger on a mule deer in either state and even ate antelope tags on a few occasions. The adventures were glorious though. With a lot of game sighted. With PP's climbing in a few states we are looking at planning some new hunting adventures in the coming years. I am hoping being an active member here will help us in our planning. Thanks all.

Welcome!

I have to ask...

Why did you eat 2 antelope tags in area 61? That's like turning down a $1000 check from Jeff Bezos.

I guess it was a dry year and horn growth was less than usual. We went with the idea of trying to find something close to 80". I do regret not pulling the trigger on one particular animal that may have been high 70's but we jumped him on three different occasions and it just didn't feel right. It really was the hard work and adventure of scouring the unit I find most enjoyable. We have both taken antelope in the 70-75 range and even a few with bow in the past so we set our goals high on this hunt. I did see my first really big non-typical mule deer on this hunt. That was awesome. Drove the truck all over the place. Found some old ruins here and there. Walked river bottoms and uneven terrain and jumped so many gorgeous antelope. That is my favorite way to hunt them. Stalking, cause they are so darn hard to stalk.

It sounds like you had an awesome trip. I love the kind of terrain that 61 has. Your restraint is impressive.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back