Partitions?

I've shot a bunch of critters with those also. Sure glad I didn't have internet when I was a kid to tell me how crappy they are. Still think the Partition is the big killer. It became available in 1948. The Core Lokt was introduced in 1939. Toss up maybe. mtmuley

6.5 man bun introduced in 2007...

I have used Partitions in 7mm Rem Mag and .270. I have only recovered one perfectly mushroomed bullet from a very large bodied mule deer buck. I dropped him in his tracks with 140 gr Partition with a frontal shot. It hit him in the neck and followed his spine about half the length of his body. He was 168 yrs so the bullet was moving plenty fast when it hit and like I said perfect mushroom.

I have used Partitions in 7mm Rem Mag and .270. I have only recovered one perfectly mushroomed bullet from a very large bodied mule deer buck. I dropped him in his tracks with 140 gr Partition with a frontal shot. It hit him in the neck and followed his spine about half the length of his body. He was 168 yrs so the bullet was moving plenty fast when it hit and like I said perfect mushroom.

Damn that's an old buck, I think a good fart would have dropped him just as quickly :)

A lot of good input on here. Seeing a few recommendations for the Nosler Ballistic Tips...I was reading today on this forum that most guys would not recommend them for elk in any caliber. Does this hold true here? I think I am leaning towards trying the partition or maybe the 115 gr. Barnes TSX.

If our rifles will shoot Partitions well, that's what we use : .270 150 gr. - elk, deer caribou, 7mm-08 140 gr. - elk, deer, .300 Win. Mag. 180 gr. deer, caribou, elk, .243 100 gr. - deer. Unfortunately, the new barrel on my .300 does not like the Partitions.

Saying a Partition is no good for elk is about like saying the 30-06 is no good for elk.

A lot of good input on here. Seeing a few recommendations for the Nosler Ballistic Tips...I was reading today on this forum that most guys would not recommend them for elk in any caliber. Does this hold true here? I think I am leaning towards trying the partition or maybe the 115 gr. Barnes TSX.

Excellent advice.

Partitions or the Barnes will work excellent for you.

Daughter's 165 gr. Partition. Bedded mule deer buck, he was curled up with the left side of his face against his left shoulder, (like my lab sleeps), snuck in from behind him to 276 yards, bullet entered ribs, tore the heart up, exited through the front shoulder, entered the head halfway between the eye and base of antler. Peeled this bullet from the side of his head. Also found little ball of lead just under the hide of off side shoulder near exit hole. We like Partitions.

IMG_4842.JPG

Codycoop95 I think you will be more than happy with the Partitions. When I described the critters I have taken with it, that was with the 120 gr. Partition in the 25-06. I have taken a lot more animals with that bulled in the 6mm Remington, 280, 280 AI, and 30-06. It's a great bullet as many have stated as is the Nosler Accubond which is stellar also. The E-tip they make is a nice one too. I think you should find one of those three that would work but as a I stated earlier I've heard good things about the fusions.

Try shooting some Fusions into gallon water jugs lined up. They are cheap and it works great. Take and put about 7 in a line and shoot them at 25 - 100 - 200 yards to see how the bullet penetrates and holds together. It's not shooting into an animal, but it's a pretty darn good test and it's an awful lot of fun.

Anything I have ever shot with partitions have been one shot kills. I shoot a .270 with 150 grain partitions and a 7mm-08 with 140 grain partitions. IMO, Nosler partitions have been the gold standard of hunting bullets for a long time and will continue to be for me!

If your rifle shoots them well it's pretty hard to go wrong with a partition bullet. There's probably not a premium bullet out there that you couldn't find at least one person to have a negative thing to say about them.
There is a good reason so many bullets compare their performance to the Nosler Partition.

120 gr Speer BT. I run 100 gr Speer BT in my .257 Roberts, and have killed deer, elk, antelope, and bear with it.

I shot a lg doe at 413 yards with my 7mm-08 using Berger VLD Hunting. Nicked back of front leg. Heart in 2 gooey pieces, both lungs destroyed.

I shoot the 115gr. Berger VLD Hunting out of the 257 Roberts loaded +p with Hodgdon Hybrid 100.

Partition should do you well. I wouldn't use the Ballistic Tip on elk.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back