Partitions?

Coop

I have posted a thread or two regarding reloading my .25-06, and I am having a little bit of trouble with narrowing down what rounds I want to load. I have used 120/100 gr. core locts, 120 gr. Federal Fusion, and 117 gr. American Whitetail factory loads, with the Fusions shooting the best out of my Tikka, and giving me the best results. I am looking to load a heavier round (115-120 gr.) as a do all mainly for deer and elk. Yes, I do realize that a .25 caliber round is a bit small for elk, but I can't afford another investment at this time, and I have put down a couple elk with factory rounds, so I am confident with this caliber. I have read great things about Partitions, and they have a 120 gr. load available, but my father in-law swears against them. He used to load them for his 300 ultra mag., and claims that they fragmented on him, allowing for a great bull to simply get up and walk away with no blood after a perfect shot. Anyone have an experience like this with Partitions, and are there other rounds I can trust as an all-around?

Thanks in advance

Barnes 115 gr TSX. I have killed elk with it and have switched all my guns from Nosler to Barnes for more consistent performance. The Barnes website has already published loads if you want to handload.

Barnes 115 gr TSX. I have killed elk with it and have switched all my guns from Nosler to Barnes for more consistent performance. The Barnes website has already published loads if you want to handload.
Thanks 375H&H. No issues on bigger game with the all-copper hp design? I also have some Berger 115 gr. VLD's...Have you had a chance to compare the two as hunting bullets?

I've only killed deer and antelope with partitions out of my 270. My experience is positive and opposite of what your father-in-law experienced. Of course the front of the bullet is supposed to fragment while the rear pushes through...coming out of a 300 ultra mag, I don't doubt fragmentation especially if he was shooting a lighter bullet at close ranges.

I say go for it or like 375H&H the 115 TSX could be positive also.

Only a few years experience with them on Antelope, mule deer and cow elk, but partitions have been very good to us! (.260 and 30-06)

It is rather tricky to perform an autopsy on an animal you do not recover. Father in law is never wrong but I wold love to hear his technique for such.
Dozens of larger than deer kills (as in heavy bones) and lots of recovered bullets, only one had the "base" knocked out of it, and it was still inside but would pop out in your hand if shaken. Now the front?? Gone every time, copper only left of the front half. Partitions are GREAT big game bullets, as are others, with all due respect to the F-I -L 's perfect shooting of course ;) Using a premium bullet can maximize an otherwise borderline caliber for larger game. For what it is worth my experience was with 7mm and .30 cal heavy for caliber bullets.

I have had very goos experiences with 150gr Partitions out of a 270WSM on both deer and moose. I have only recovered a few of the bullets and all of them had the base intact while the front copper was still there and the front lead was gone. Devastating and reliable performance every time.

Was talking with a guy who took a nice 155" whitetail buck with a 165gr Partition out of his 30-06. Slight quartering away shot. Some blood at the impact area, then nothing. Had to follow the up turned leaves for 100yds to the dead buck. Bullet broke 3 ribs and took out the lungs before exiting.

I've shot 25+ elk with Partitions. 150gr (.308) to 180 gr (.300WM). The only issues I ever had was due to less than ideal shot placement (which required follow-up shots). I've got close to 1000 Partitions in my loading cabinet and have no plan to switch until those are gone.

Lots of good choices in premium bullets now, so find the one that shoots the best out of your gun.

I had a 25-06 and used the 120g core lokts. I only ever shot deer and antelope but it always did the job and I only ever recovered 1 bullet. That one penetrated they the front shoulder and was under the hide in the opposite hip breaking both legs. For smaller critters with that rifle I used the Winchester silver tips, they tended to fragment heavily for a DRT ending.

It is a great caliber, let us know what you decide on.

I've had great results with Nosler ballistic tips in my 25-06. I have a friend who swears by a 25-06 for elk and he uses the ballistic tips and he kills the hell out of them. I have bought blemished ones for cheaper on shooters pro shop and they are just as good as the 'normal' ones.

Thanks 375H&H. No issues on bigger game with the all-copper hp design? I also have some Berger 115 gr. VLD's...Have you had a chance to compare the two as hunting bullets?

I have compared both on moose. The Nosler had erratic performance with the full bullet separating (not every time, but more than once), while the Barnes petals rolled back every time even on very close shots. The Barnes can't separate as it is all copper, unlike the partitions. Just my experience though.

I've shot several deer an antelope and one elk with Partitions and have they performed great. I shot a mule deer square in the chest, facing me head on, at about 100 yards with a 140GR out of my 7 Rem mag and the bullet lodged in the hind quarter against the femur. It's the only Partition I've ever recovered, the rest went through the lungs/shoulders at various angles and yardages out to 300 yards and killed the animals quickly with a complete pass through. None of them went far enough to need to blood trail.

I don't believe the 25-06 is under rated on elk. If it was all I had I'd use it in heart beat. For that matter same thing goes for my 243! But being able to do it and being a good idea might make a difference. Now with all the year's I've been shooting, I'd not have a 25-06 as an only rifle, there are better rounds like the 7mm-08. Seem's the OP said the 25-06 was all he had though. This is a bit strange for me as I have had three 25-06's and have never fired a factory round. What I use in it now is the 117gr bullet, a Hornady. There are bullet's then there are bullet's. In factory form, knowing nothing about them but being stuck with only it, I'd go to a 120gr bullet and shoot just behind the front leg. That's important to me and actually that's the shot I alays take even with more powerful cartridges. Reason being it's the easiest route to the vitals you can get, saving the bullet if need be, for killing inside. Hit heavy meat or bone and all bet's are off. If you do that with your 25-06 and 120gr bullet's you'll likely ruin a lot of meat and may not get the bullet inside far enough. Take a 460 Weatherby with a 500gr bullet and shoot an elk in the shoulder and I'm sure it will penetrate but can't imagine what that bullet might do to editable meat! So somewhere in between is the best answer. Not right mind you but in one person's opinion the best. I use a 30-06 starting this year for elk, first time ever and it's one for one with a 180gr Hornady. Defore it I used my 6.5x06 with a 140gr Hornady, it's three for three! My back up this year was my 6.5x55 but didn't need it. Have no doubt if I did my part it would do it's part!

Bottom line is, your 25-06 will work and work well depending on you. Choose a heavy for caliber bullet, 12-gr, and place it in the chest avoiding hitting meat and it will kill as well as anything. ya know a lot of people put a great deal of faith in premium bullet's, they are the do all be all in some eye's. Not mine. First they cost to much, sound finicky to reload and a bad shot with any bullet is still a bad shot!

If you are hand loading I'd buy a box of the partitions and the 115gr NBT and see what your rifle likes. Either will get the job done well.

You said that the 120 gr. Fusions shoot well in your rifle. I have heard nothing but good about the Federal Fusions holding together and performing well. That being said I absolutely love the Nosler Partitions. I have taken one elk and numerous antelope and deer with that bullet. It has never let me down. If you decide to try it either the 115 or 120 gr. Partition should be able to find a good load in your rifle. The 110 gr. Accubond is another stellar bullet worth trying. It's a great bullet also. Best of luck.

My 25-06 liked IMR4350 with the 120 gr. Partition. H4831SC is another powder worth trying as is H4350.

If your father in law used Partitions in RUM and complained, I wouldn't listen to anything else he says. The Partition isn't constructed for the extreme velocity of the RUM. I bet the Partition has killed more game than any other bullet ever made. I used them in .06 for years. Don't be afraid to load them. mtmuley

If the FIL made a "perfect" shot, the bull would not have walked away. If he didn't recover the elk then how did he know the partition fragmented? I know that FILs are never wrong, but I think yours might be.

Remington Core Lok.....

I've shot a bunch of critters with those also. Sure glad I didn't have internet when I was a kid to tell me how crappy they are. Still think the Partition is the big killer. It became available in 1948. The Core Lokt was introduced in 1939. Toss up maybe. mtmuley

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back