Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Garmin Xero A1i sight

NCSU_Lewis

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/613654

This thread exploded on archerytalk, and I don't like weeding through the different bs on there. I know this will be illegal in a lot of western states, but aside from that and price, what do y'all think of this? It seems like if it works, it would be highly effective, but this is a hell of a leap. How much would this boost ones confidence into taking marginal shots above their ability? Would be fun to play with regardless...

Interesting idea...I think i would have a tough time relying on technology like that over my own instinct. Makes me nervous about those guys who already think they can take 80+ yard shots.

I figured y'all would echo my thoughts a little more than archerytalk. Be fun to play with at the range if somebody had one. but sure don't see it for regular use. Kind of hope more states make stuff like this a no no.

So, what’s the difference in this and a single pin slider and a laser range finder? Just a combination of the two. Not saying that I’d ever buy one, but I see the point. Leupold had a range finding sight a few years ago if memory serves.

So, what’s the difference in this and a single pin slider and a laser range finder? Just a combination of the two. Not saying that I’d ever buy one, but I see the point. Leupold had a range finding sight a few years ago if memory serves.

well, a few things are different I mean you actually have to move your sight housing instead of letting a computer do it and tell you to shoot this pin. I think leupold made a rangefinder that mounted to the bow and would give you constant ranges if I remember correctly, someone correct me if I am wrong I just think taking that much technology into a sight you are pretty much killing bow hunting, pick up a rifle at that point not to mention this will cause more people to take those shots that are absurdly long distances.

Those people are going to take the absurdly long shots wether they have this sight or not. The only difference is that the dot appears at the correct location so you don’t have to move it. Not even close to picking up a rifle, you still have to execute the shot.
I agree that it’s not in the spirit of archery and I would never own one, but I do understand the design reasoning.
I believe you are correct and the Leupold gadget. It would give constant ranges on moving targets. Wouldn’t that promote shots on moving game?
Companies are always going to be throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. If they didn’t, we’d all be shooting recurves.

I thin in every archer's mind there is a line when it comes to technology. Trad bow shooters will draw that sooner than compound. And within the compound world there are those who say 40 yards is their limit and others who will shoot 100+ all day. I think that line is personal, based on several factors, and should be judged on proficency. If you can hit that pie plate 10/10, then have at it.

As for the sight, um...no thanks. Price, size, and tech failure possibility put me off.

Same concept as the Burris Eliminator scopes just for a bow. Im an IT guy by trade and I still have trouble relying on technology in this capacity. I do like the concept of a rangefinder built into a bow for quick ranging, minimal movement, and display of yardage but not a fan of the pin adjusting on their own. Ultimately if one uses it and practices enough to build confidence in it than I have no strong gripes about it, just not my choice of equipment.

Emerging technology in archery is what has caused me to put down my compound and pick up a long bow.

I get into a circular argument in my own head on stuff like this.

I feel that you owe it to the game animal to always do your best at making a clean killing shot. You regularly hear about people looking at the wrong pin or guessing ranges incorrectly and wounding game. This would appear to minimize that. Making a good clean kill is what it is all about right?

I still rifle hunt only because I can't get there in my own head on archery hunting at all. With that said I wounded a bear 2 years ago with a rifle that I didn't recover so even that isn't idiot proof.

I get into a circular argument in my own head on stuff like this.

I feel that you owe it to the game animal to always do your best at making a clean killing shot. You regularly hear about people looking at the wrong pin or guessing ranges incorrectly and wounding game. This would appear to minimize that. Making a good clean kill is what it is all about right?

I still rifle hunt only because I can't get there in my own head on archery hunting at all. With that said I wounded a bear 2 years ago with a rifle that I didn't recover so even that isn't idiot proof.

You are absolutely correct making a clean kill is what it is all about, my concern with this sight in particular is that people will think because the sight is doing all the work in regards to being a rangefinder and telling you which pin to shoot. People will be comfortable with taking those longer shots and possibly wounding more animals I had the same issue with Burris eliminator everybody and their dog thought they were a long range shooter because they had a device doing all the work.

I saw that thread on AT too.

Besides the fact that I would have a hard time trusting this tech on any hunt it does go over the line for me as far as combining tech into my archery. Yes, I have a rangefinder and multi pin slider but something about it just does not feel right. Next will be magnification. Don't really need it all combined either.

Idiots will do what they do regardless. Only thing about it I can say I'd like to try is the view with out the pin posts in the sight picture.

When I see things like this it makes me want to buy a trad bow.

First let me say, I wouldn't use this if you gifted it to me, outside of maybe playing with it in the yard.
I do not see the place for this in archery hunting, however; most archers I know have a single pin slider, or multi-pin sight on their hunting bows. A multi-pin sight, if it doesn't slide is only going to get you out so far. Mine goes to 60 (before sliding). Most guys I know practice out to at least that distance to build form and confidence.
At first I equated this with the Burris Eliminator that will instantly make you a long range expert shooter. But, if this thing doesn't slide, I can't see where it could get you out past 60 or 70 like any other muti-pin sight, anyway.
...I would still have it listed on craigslist within a day or so if someone gave me one.

Edit: It says that it ranges game sized targets to 100 yards, but if you look, the pins only go 20 to 60, I think.

Last edited:
First let me say, I wouldn't use this if you gifted it to me, outside of maybe playing with it in the yard.
I do not see the place for this in archery hunting, however; most archers I know have a single pin slider, or multi-pin sight on their hunting bows. A multi-pin sight, if it doesn't slide is only going to get you out so far. Mine goes to 60 (before sliding). Most guys I know practice out to at least that distance to build form and confidence.
At first I equated this with the Burris Eliminator that will instantly make you a long range expert shooter. But, if this thing doesn't slide, I can't see where it could get you out past 60 or 70 like any other muti-pin sight, anyway.
...I would still have it listed on craigslist within a day or so if someone gave me one.

Edit: It says that it ranges game sized targets to 100 yards, but if you look, the pins only go 20 to 60, I think.

It's like a slider with out sliding. Max range depends on ones set up and bow speed. Range an animal at say 86 yards and it locates your pin at that range on the lens. If the animal moves you hit the button again at it reranges and relocates the pin accordingly. You can also set it up to throw up multiple pins all at once like a traditional multiple pin site.

I used a Leupold Vendetta my first bow season. Clunky and unreliable. Cost me an antelope and a nice muley buck. Should have had a backup rangefinder.

I now use a single pin slider set to 35yds. I practice to 80 w no real intention of a shot longer than the point blank w the single pin. Keep it simple.

Well there is no way I would be able to afford dropping a thousand bucks on something like this in the near future. Some gear guys will certainly like this though. I think it is the continuation with all things hunting and fishing. More and more people want to use gear and technology to make up for a lack of scouting, practice, etc. Personally, I have a lot more time than money, so I can spend a lot of time in the woods or on the lake scouting spots. I have a lot of time to practice with my bow. A lot of people I know, though, have a lot more money than time. They have garages full of gear and only a few weeks (not even maybe) a year to get out. Any new gear or technology I think is attractive to these people, because that darn sure want to be successful when they get out

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back