Memorialize Congress To Fund Wildfire Response (SJM18-001) - Colorado

TOGIE

Has Colorado ever introduced a bill like this before? I'm trying to understand this. It's a bill introduced in Colorado's fresh 2018 session aimed at getting congress to fund firefighting bills outside of Forest Service budgets. Seems odd to me, what does this bill actually do? The state can't dictate congress to do such a thing. I guess it's just the state codifying and urging congress to address the issue. Good stuff, I hope it actually helps, though it's hard to say. Are other states doing this?

http://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sjm18-001

"WHEREAS, Paying for catastrophic wildfire response should not come at the expense of programs that reduce the risk of wildfires because doing so plainly creates a feedback loop that increases the frequency and severity of catastrophic wildfires; and ...

That Congress should enact laws necessary to protect federal land management agencies' ability to mitigate the risk of catastrophic wildfires and manage the lands within their jurisdiction by funding catastrophic wildfire response in a manner analogous to that used for natural disasters. ...

Be It Further Resolved, That copies of this Joint Memorial be sent to Governor John Hickenlooper, each member of Colorado's congressional delegation, the Western Governor's Association, and the current Secretary of Agriculture and Secretary of the Interior.

This is a really good topic and I think it's an issue that should be pushed in US congress. I'd say the first two quotes you put say it all.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back