Bros to Zinke and the Pres. don't have to drill

mfb99

It appears to me that some on this Forum think I am too harsh on the delicate flower Ryan Zinke. They jump in to defend him and the DJT administration.

They view some of my posts as political and not Public Lands specific.

Well, Ryan Zinke is foremost a Politician. In my opinion he is a Swamp Creature and a lackey of the Extraction Industry.

I believe it is important to follow Zinke’s swampy policies and shine light on how harmful he is to the Public Lands fight.

That means all of us who care about Public Lands must look at him as a Politician.

Now, on to the post.

In a most partisan and blatantly swampy way, Zinke shows that his policies can be bought and sold in relation to who kowtows to the DJT administration.

After Zinke and the DJT administration set down a new policy to open up almost all of the continental shelf to oil drilling, he reversed his decision just for Florida.

All the other states, especially BLUE states that do not support the new policy still have to comply.

This is nonsense, this is pure politics and we as Public Land supporters better start paying attention and fighting the garbage that is coming out of Zinke’s Interior Department.

If we keep cutting him slack, if we keep saying oh it is not that important, if we defend the reversal of a National Monument by saying oh it is just a re-designation and not that bad, we are doomed.

Our Public Lands (including off shore) are under an unprecedented assault by Zinke and the DJT administration. You must decide what side of the fight you will be on.

Are you going to fight: by giving money to the cause, by making your calls to your Congressional leaders, by joining conservation organizations and most important pulling the handle in the voting both for candidates that support Public Lands?

Or……are you going to be a Zinke water carrier?

Now to the article on the Florida off-shore policy reversal. It is from Politico:

Donald Trump delivered a big political contribution to Rick Scott on Tuesday as the Florida governor contemplates a bid for U.S. Senate: a pledge to spare Florida from administration plans to expand offshore oil drilling nationwide.

The surprise announcement from Secretary of Interior Ryan Zinke — who went to the trouble of flying to Tallahassee to stand beside Scott — outraged environmentalists and Democrats who insist the decision was a political ploy that unlawfully gave preferential treatment to Florida, a swing state that voted for Trump and that’s home to his so-called “Winter White House” escape at Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach.

Zinke made sure that the term-limited governor got all the credit. In response to a question about what was the final determining factor in his decision, Zinke said: “The governor."

"You have a tremendous governor that is straightforward, easy to work for, says exactly what he means. And I can tell you Florida is well-served,” Zinke said.

Zinke’s glowing endorsement of Scott has become de facto policy for Trump, who has tried for more than a year to woo Scott publicly and privately to run for U.S. Senate against Democratic incumbent Bill Nelson.
The veteran senator is one of the most vocal opponents of offshore oil-drilling in Florida, an issue that typically enjoys broad bipartisan support in a state whose economy depends heavily on tourism and development along 1,300 miles of coastline.

Scott used to be an exception to the blanket opposition to offshore oil drilling. In 2010, the then-political newcomer voiced more support for oil exploration, but the position became a political liability in the state after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill coated some Florida beaches with tar balls and damaged tourism in parts of the Gulf.

A 2016 University of South Florida-Nielson poll found that 47 percent of state residents see offshore drilling as a move in the “wrong direction,” a distinction that makes it one of the most unpopular policy proposals in the state.

So when Zinke announced last Thursday that the administration wanted to open vast new stretches of federal waters to oil and gas drilling, opposition was united in Florida — from liberal environmentalists to conservative lawmakers and even Scott, who issued a rare public denunciation of the policy.

At the time, Democrats and Nelson supporters highlighted the unpopular policy announcement by a president who’s flagging in the polls. Nelson’s campaign began fundraising off of the initial announcement to expand oil exploration.

One Republican insider, however, told POLITICO shortly after the initial announcement that the administration would scale the plan back somewhat to give Scott a political boost that would “be a big win, and it won’t be Bill Nelson bringing it home.”

As late as Tuesday, Nelson was still fundraising off the drilling announcement. “President Trump is about to hand a huge victory to the oil industry and put Florida’s entire economy at risk,” Nelson’s campaign wrote. “He just announced plans to rollback offshore drilling regulations that were put in place after the 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster, and open up nearly all federal waters to offshore oil drilling — including the eastern Gulf of Mexico.”

But just before that email solicitation was sent out, Zinke was unexpectedly standing in Tallahassee’s regional airport with Scott announcing the reversal to the Florida capital press corps.

Nelson said he was incredulous.

“I have spent my entire life fighting to keep oil rigs away from our coasts. But now, suddenly, Secretary Zinke announces plans to drill off Florida's coast and four days later agrees to ‘take Florida off the table’? I don’t believe it,” Nelson said in a written statement.
“This is a political stunt orchestrated by the Trump administration to help Rick Scott, who has wanted to drill off Florida's coast his entire career. We shouldn’t be playing politics with the future of Florida.”

Similarly, the Sierra Club of Florida said the decision was “a purely political move to aid the ambitions of Rick Scott.” And the League of Conservation Voters called it a “publicity stunt.”

Scott’s spokesman, Jonathan Tupps, said oil-drilling opponents should not be upset.

“Senator Nelson and anyone else who opposes oil drilling off of Florida’s coast should be happy that the governor was able to secure this commitment,” he said. “This isn’t about politics. This is good policy for Florida.”

Tupps said that, contrary to claims by Scott’s opponents, the governor and staff have frequently discussed Florida’s opposition to more offshore oil drilling with the Interior Department. Scott personally raised the issue with Zinke in an October meeting in Washington, Tupps said.

Why Zinke suddenly reversed months of planning four days after announcing the new oil and gas exploration policy are unclear. Zinke also made his announcement via Twitter after a brief question-and-answer session with reporters in Tallahassee.

In reversing the policy for Florida, however, Zinke may have have run afoul of the Administrative Procedure Act, critics said. That could give ammunition to California and Atlantic Coast states wanting to get on the same no-drill list -- the opposite of what President Donald Trump intended when he directed Zinke to expand oil companies’ access to federal waters to boost U.S. energy production.

The American Petroleum Institute President Jack Gerard earlier in the day had applauded the Trump administration’s plan to make all available federal waters available for drilling, saying “It represents a bold acknowledgement of the industry’s advancements in technology to safely access U.S. energy resources.”

Almost immediately after Zinke’s announcement, lawmakers from other states took to Twitter to raise the specter of lawsuits, which could lead to courtroom entanglements for Interior’s offshore drilling plan. The proposal was supposed to go into effect in 2019 and offer acres off the coast of Florida in late 2022 when a drilling moratorium officially ends.

“Under the Administrative Procedure Act, an agency can't act in an arbitrary and capricious manner. In this case, exempting Florida but not California (which has an even larger coastal economy) is arbitrary and capricious,” Rep. Ted Lieu, a California Democrat and attorney, told POLITICO.

“So the agency would either have to not exempt Florida, or in the alternative, exempt Florida, California and any other state that can show the coasts are important to the state's tourism and economy.”

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra also hammered that point on Twitter, echoing Scott’s argument against drilling off the Florida coast to say “California is also ‘unique" & our ‘coasts are heavily reliant on tourism as an economic driver.’ Our ‘local and state voice’ is firmly opposed to any and all offshore drilling. If that's your standard, we, too, should be removed from your list. Immediately.”

In Virginia, U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine took a more low key approach. “Virginia’s governor (and governor-elect) have made this same request [as Florida], but we have not received the same commitment. Wonder why...” he tweeted.

Cheers,

Mark

Ye Shall Be Free To Roam…..

We now have the Governors of MT, WY, ID, NV, OR, WA, CA, CO, UT, ND, ID crying foul over the removal of mitigation for public land development.

Gov's in legal weed states are upset over DOJ's rescinding of the Cole memorandum.

Gov's up and down the coasts who are opposing the offshore drilling proposal.

So much for local control under this administration.

I fully agree with mfb99 in that we must keep the pressure on Zinke. To those here who defend him and say "give the man a chance" I say NO. When he and the DJT administration are done pillaging our land what will be left? The ensuing clean-up will be left for our children and grand-children.

And how about the political favors done for the State of Utah regarding national monuments? Surveys show the public solidly against what Trump and Zinke did.

Trump complained constantly about "rigged" primaries when he was campaigning. Now he doesn't hesitate to rig things himself.

mfb99. although I most generally agree with your positions and opinions, Mark, I think some of the push-back on this forum results from excessively wordy rhetoric. Meant as a constructive recommendation, please try to be more concise and succinct.

As an example, using the terms "concise" and "succinct" together is "redumbdant".

Last edited:
Opinions posted here with sources get my attention, even opinions I disagree with. Smart asses w unsubstantiated sound-byte opinions are the cockroaches of the internet.

I believe it is important to follow Zinke’s swampy policies and shine light on how harmful he is to the Public Lands fight.

Productive to shine light for those who already beat the drum to the same sound as your own. I didn't go further than the above quoted portion. It did provide a chuckle though. Thanks for that.

Other Hunt Talk members have shined light on topics of interest in a manner that enables discussion ~ agreement / disagreement and adjustments to those who may have agreed or disagreed earlier. Ben Lamb, Katqanna, RobG, BambiStew, MinnesotaHunter, Big Fin - and those are just a few. As mentioned previously... I am an Independent. I lean Conservative. I have found my decisions shaped upon quality content shared regarding Quist/Gianforte, Crazy Mountain Trespass, BWCA Mining operation, BLM land... to name a few.

Interesting enough, I imagine you have some fair information that would encourage conversation and thought versus your trench warfare style of shining your light on subjects. To be blunt, your style equates to a hundred Andy Gumps (Porta-Potties) - within the schnit and wiz, I bet one could find some jewelry dropped within... IF one wanted to dig through the crap to find it. ;)

Cheers though - carry on.

The brevity of a sardonic truism is ok....as long as one agrees with the message, otherwise it's smartass cockroachism....that about it?

smartass cockroachism. I like it. New to me. but I love the English language!!

Maybe we should have a post of noharleyism's.

Could have done without the snarky preamble.

I thought Fin put you on probation for this kind of behavior?

For what it is worth. I tend to agree with you on your posts, my only question is ussually, "is this really Zinke, or is he just the fall guy for the party/Pres/special interests?"

From what I know of Zinke, is that he has enjoyed a remarkably short political career so far, and I struggle to understand where he would have generated these opinions. Was his record as a MT Rep that bad? This really feels to me like Zinke got his job because he is a relative babe in the woods, and likely has aspirations that supercede his personal opinions, good or bad. I would guess had Obama appointed him, he would have jumped right on that band wagon, and Patagonia would be ready to elect him to their board of directors.

So, my feeling is that to some extent we are wasting our ammo attacking Zinke, because that is what the "R" Party wants us to do, so when they want to play the middle of the road again during the next election cycle, all of the bad press has Zinke's disposable name on it. I think the really boogey-men are in the house and senate, and if we can neutralize them, Zinke will cease to be a threat.

It appears to me that some on this Forum think I am too harsh on the delicate flower Ryan Zinke. They jump in to defend him and the DJT administration.

They view some of my posts as political and not Public Lands specific.

Well, Ryan Zinke is foremost a Politician. In my opinion he is a Swamp Creature and a lackey of the Extraction Industry.

That means all of us who care about Public Lands must look at him as a Politician.

Was his record as a MT Rep that bad?

Ryan Zinke deserves a significant amount of respect for the service and sacrifice he has engaged in for our country. His claim to fame politically was standing up to his party on the issue of public land transfer. This showing of defiance, which in a purely independent world devoid of partisanship would only signal a modicum of common sense, was something worth clinging to in today's political climate. And the sportsmen of America did.

Zinke, like Daines before him, showed in the Montana Legislature that he has poor judgement overall, but relative to his colleagues, is only half a dud, and people seem to love that. But let's not act surprised.

I don't think we give him a pass, but I agree with MinnesotaHunter that constantly attacking Zinke may lack utility in terms of achieving our goals, which is protecting public lands.

Ryan Zinke deserves a significant amount of respect for the service and sacrifice he has engaged in for our country. His claim to fame politically was standing up to his party on the issue of public land transfer. This showing of defiance, which in a purely independent world devoid of partisanship would only signal a modicum of common sense, was something worth clinging to in today's political climate. And the sportsmen of America did.

Zinke, like Daines before him, showed in the Montana Legislature that he has poor judgement overall, but relative to his colleagues, is only half a dud, and people seem to love that. But let's not act surprised.

I don't think we give him a pass, but I agree with MinnesotaHunter that constantly attacking Zinke may lack utility in terms of achieving our goals, which is protecting public lands.

Now this is conversation worthy of chit chat. ;)

Interesting enough... This is more than I was aware beyond his service to your country as a Navy Seal:
Zinke earned his B.S. in geology from the University of Oregon in 1984. He went on to receive his MBA in finance from the National University in 1991. He then earned his M.S. in global leadership from the University of San Diego in 2004.

Zinke was Mission Commander for SEAL Team Six in 1992. He was then Ground Force Commander for Joint Special Operations Command in 1996. He was also a Commander in a Joint Task Force in Bosnia and Kosovo in 1999 and 2001, respectively. In 2003 he was an Executive Officer at a SEAL Training Center. Zinke was Deputy Commander of CJSOTF-AP Special Forces in Iraq in 2004. In 2006 he was Director of Naval Special Warfare Technology. He then worked as President/CEO of CDI in 2008. He was also President of Great Northern Peace Park Foundation in 2008.

Per Ballotpedia/Verbatim:

Zinke’s voting history on transferring public lands

Zinke’s House voting record indicates opposition to the sale or transfer of federal lands. He voted against the State National Forest Management Act, which proposed allowing states to manage and operate NFS lands for timber production.[19]

In May 2015, Zinke said he voted against the budget over concerns about what he called “vaguely-written language” that would establish a reserve fund with revenue from the sale of federal lands, and he was one of eight Republicans who voted in favor of an amendment to the Interior, Environment and Related Agencies Appropriations Bill that would have prohibited the sale of public lands.
https://ballotpedia.org/Fact_check/...cate_on_selling_or_transferring_public_lands?

Last edited:
What are you saying? As I said, he is and has been opposed to PLT. Which, as I also said, is the position common sense arrives at.

I could go into a long list of reasons why I think Zinke showed poor judgement as a MT Legislator, but that would stray from the OP.

Last edited:
What's your point. As I said, he is and has been opposed to PLT. Which, as I also said, is the position common sense arrives at.

I could absolutely go into a long list of reasons why I think Zinke showed poor judgement as a MT Legislator, but that would stray from the OP.

Supporting your content. I may have edited my post while you were Jonny on the spot with my post(?) Also adding a history beyond what I was aware.

What are you saying? As I said, he is and has been opposed to PLT. Which, as I also said, is the position common sense arrives at.

I could go into a long list of reasons why I think Zinke showed poor judgement as a MT Legislator, but that would stray from the OP.

Haha! Seems we are both Jonny on the spot with our response to each other... :)

Not sure you could really "stray from the OP" hard to stray from the wide birth of ramblings... ;)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back