Motel or Camp

All depends on weather and location of nearest town. I prefer to camp but i'll be checking into a motel if its 20° and wet weather. Also, it is tough to beat walking from your cap into the basin to kill a goat and packing him back in. I would also lean towards camping if the nearest motel was further than an hour away from where I planned to hunt.

Camping just seems like hunting to me. Plenty of places to camp where we hunted last fall. How many points does the OP have?

I have one point. That limits to places with difficult public access it seems. I'm mostly looking at units with HMA's and walk in areas. Right now units 43 and 34 look doable. Camping may be a bit difficult in these units.

tim

I have one point. That limits to places with difficult public access it seems. I'm mostly looking at units with HMA's and walk in areas. Right now units 43 and 34 look doable. Camping may be a bit difficult in these units.

tim

You don't necessarily have to camp in the same unit you're hunting.. It's convenient to be right in your area, but I often camp outside my unit if it's reasonably close and a better setting.

Last year, we put our pronghorn camp up in the NF, and drove a little bit to our antelope zone. Wind wasn't nearly as bad, and just a more enjoyable area to camp IMO.

I’ve done both on hunts and enjoy both. I probably prefer the motel because I love meeting the people in the towns.

Back in 1978, i bought a nice little used six-pac cabover camper for my 2 year old chevy short bed 4x4 and have enjoyed camping, hunting, and fishing out of such similar rigs for who knows what number of trips in all those years. Now i have a pop-up cabover camper on a newer but still old, 82 Chevy 4x, this one a long bed model. It's kept ready to roll, darn nice to have and use, and i'd recommend to a guy or couple who hunts a lot on a budget, plan on putting such a rig together as he can. It's amazing the places a guy can just pull over and spend the night...including right in the middle of good hunting country.

The key is the camper can't be to heavy or bulky for the truck. Even the smaller campers, you'll be enclosed, comfy, and warm nights while there hunting in all weather conditions . Don't mind saying, camping in a wall tent this last Wy, later part of the season right up into Nov., it was a very chilly accommodation for my old bones. That was after we camped under the stars thru snow one night and then a blaster of a cold wind the next. There's got to be better ways to heat a big wall tent than what we had this trip but like liver, only had to eat it once to know there's better tasting stuff out there .

Last edited:
Back