1. Default New guy from Dover Delaware

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Total flatlander here...born and raised on the east coast. I am a police officer/canine handler. I mostly bow hunt whitetails from sept-jan here in Delaware. Ive only been east of the Mississippi River once...I dream of making it out west and chase elk and mule deer but am not going to lie its extremely intimidating to say the least. My dream is to get into some backcountry DIY hunting, I have a feeling I will be hooked. I found this sight watching Randy's show and am looking forward to learning as much as possible. Thanks all for sharing your knowledge.

Welcome!! I lived in Philly for 5 years way back in the day and I knew Dover well. Welcome aboard!
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2017 (but I'm still damned sexy) 10 years of consistency!!

Welcome! This site is a great source of info. And I'm not sure if you've applied in the western states before or not but applications are opening up right now. Wyoming is open now for elk and Arizona is opening up now for antelope and elk apps. Tell us some more about what you'd like to do as far as what hunts exactly you'd like to do, which states, if you're going to build points for anything, etc. It can be damn intimidating initially but like anything, you can learn if you put in some time. And guys here will be more than happy to help you along if you ask the right questions.

Welcome to the site ! I'm from Delaware city.

Welcome. I am in Salisbury but certainly know Dover well. I think you will more people than you imagine are east coast guys that eventually get out west chasing their dreams.

Welcome!

Welcome aboard.
    You can't get lost if you don't care where you are going.

Welcome from Iowa

Welcome!

welcome

Welcome from Wyoming
    "It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take a chance?" -Ronald Reagan

Welcome!! I didn't hunt at all until I was 33 and then my first elk hunt was at 43. The thought of a "Western Hunt" as a whole is more intimidating than the actual parts of it. Break the planning and hunt down into segments (ie decide on a species, decide on a state, decide on an area, apply for tags, plan transportation......etc) and it will be much more manageable. Use the search function on here to look for each topic and then post any specific questions you may have. You will be amazed how much you can learn that way. I would suggest maybe taking a Summer camping trip out west here on some public lands just to get your head around what the terrain is like in person. I am a Hoosier but could never live without mountains again
    "Never apologize for being a Patriot!"

13. Default

Welcome, I'm new too from south Jersey, but hunt a lot in Dorchester and Wicomico county MD.

welcome!

15. Default

My father lives in Del. City...his wife is on city council and works at the Texaco! Betty

Very small world, my father grew up with Betty. Check your private messages
    Last edited by MikeMaland; 01-13-2018 at 09:37 AM.

You ever chase them funny looking deer too?
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR

"He was a mighty hunter before the Lord." ~Genesis 10:9

Quote Originally Posted by 406LIFE View Post
    You ever chase them funny looking deer too?
    Sounds like you have a Sika stag on your bucket list....they are here, you can even do it on public land.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Sounds like you have a Sika stag on your bucket list....they are here, you can even do it on public land.
    without hijacking the thread, yes, and it climbs higher every year.
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR

"He was a mighty hunter before the Lord." ~Genesis 10:9

Hey there from S jersey,also!

Quote Originally Posted by 406LIFE View Post
    without hijacking the thread, yes, and it climbs higher every year.
    406, you looking for one or our little elk? I'm glad they don't get much bigger or I'd never be able to get one out of the swamp.

That’s a toad!