Where to camp?

Rwchet

Let me start out by saying, love this forum! I believe I’ve read just about every post that involves elk hunting in Colorado. That being said, I’m looking for some info on where to set up a base camp. Coming out from Illinois for the second rifle season with my brother and a couple of friends. I think we’ve decided on unit 74. The problem that keeps me up at night is where to set up camp? We have a wall tent and will have two trucks. Just have no idea what to expect. Don’t want to show up a day or two before season and spend that time trying to find a place to set up. Can anyone give me a general idea of what to look for? Maybe some do’s or dont’s? I appreciate any help given. Thanks.

You’re gonna have company in 74 during second season, so here’s my advice: Find places where you think the elk will go when the orange-vesters show up, and then put your base camp in a place where you can access those hunting spots at first light - understanding, of course, that it’s gonna take some hiking in the dark. There are plenty of places to camp in 74. The challenge will be getting away from the hunters and catching up to the elk in the places they go to stay alive.

It’s beautiful country. Enjoy yourself and best of luck.

Last edited:
Anywhere u like on national forest! Pull off the side road and set er up! But I would figure out the location or area within the unit I was hunting first. Then figure out the road system within that area. Are there public roads close? Are they navigable with a truck? This is a big concern trust me. U can get on CDOW site and see the Motor vehicle use map. I’ve also had a lot of success on YouTube typing in the road name or trail and it usually will have a video of someone that has posted it. It will give u a very good feel for the country and how good of road it is. U also have the option of packing into where the elk are and not road camping

. U also have the option of packing into where the elk are and not road camping

A wall tent gives you flexibility, use it. That long hike in the dark can be cut down to size with one hard hike and waking up later, getting to bed sooner, and your legs only have so many miles in them. Hiking in the dark is a waste of miles, though a necessary one , up to a point.

K7A3BF4D44BDC5_1000004.jpg

RMYOUNG1, or anyone else, would it be a huge waste of $ to apply for a deer tag as well in 74? Just in case the elk hunting doesn’t work out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back