Elitist Hunters

Schaaf

The Open Country Page at Outdoor Life continues to put out some incredible pieces concerning public land.

“When I have free time, I find where the road ends—on our unequaled public lands—and push, paddle, and portage a canoe that my wife and I built of cedar and ash cants that we milled. I take the rifle for long walks, hoping that an elk or deer finds its way into our freezer. I burn bootleather on the prairie behind a fine pack of dogs. According to Mr. Secretary, I am an elitist.”

https://www.outdoorlife.com/an-elit...man-responds-to-interior-secretary-ryan-zinke

I can't afford much more than boots these days. How much do I have to spend on ATVs and such before I lose the elitist status?

Last edited:
Those words that hang tags on hunters and anglers are a poorly veiled disguise to carry water for those who want to road the best of our hunting grounds. Call it for what it is, a chickenshit swipe at those of us who hunt these unroaded public lands; a snipe that is far from anything Roosevelt (the Secretary does see himself as a Rooseveltian) might have promoted.

I wonder if the Secretary know that Roosevelt, one he claims to admire, wrote in his book The Wilderness Hunter,
"No one, but he who has partaken thereof, can understand the keen delight of hunting in lonely lands."
If I may suggest such a crazy idea, the Secretary should go hunt some of those lonely lands and see how "elitist" it is. I doubt such things are possible, but if the Secretary were so inclined, I would love to have him join me on a Wilderness Area elk hunt this fall. I will gladly share "elite adventure" with him and it would provide the chance to "partake thereof" and hopefully the trip would offer a chance to "understand the keen delight of hunting in lonely lands."

When I was hiking in knee deep snow after my goat this year I never thought I was elitist I was actually hoping some elitist with a chopper would swoop down and save me the brutal hike. Interesting take on being an elitist

Come on Bart, look at those elitist companies you represent. Walmart, Costco & Harbor Freight - those are places that only the 1%'s can enjoy.

The few truly roadless areas within the US public lands system is truly what makes America's public land great. I guess if making the effort to get in shape and work hard to access roadless terrain makes me an elitist, then I see this as a sad representation of people's work ethic.

Looks like Tom's pretty close; maybe we can go be elitist together. Is that something the elite do? I'm new to this...

I can only imagine what my grandfather would have had to say to Mr. Zinke. Elitist? Ha, he'd have turned that SEAL into snack sticks.

Same BHA "woe is me". Beyond Pint Nights what actions except protest, pontificate, press release does BHA do?

Now someone can tell me BHA isn't a traditional conservation organization. If I'm wrong please tell me of acreage, easement or habitat improvement they made. Short of cash how about volunteer for conservation causes. Here's a program; earn your Pint with action hours.

My wife and I have 3 vehicles…a 1997 F250, a 2002 Subaru Outback, and a 2007 Toyota Yaris, all are over or pushing 200,000 miles (oh, and a 1979 Mercedes Diesel Wagon with a busted odometer—first $3,500 takes it). According to Mr. Secretary, I am an elitist. We live in 500 square feet, attached to an 800-square-foot shop that I built with my own two hands. A place where I turn sawdust into mortgage payments, checks for dog food, and spare folding money. According to Mr. Secretary, I am an elitist.
2 people with 4 vehicles is just poor life choices.

Go read the Cameron Hanes threat and hater posts when the man accepted Zinke invitation to participate. BHA should follow his example and ask for seat at the big tables in your communities. Or have a pint and pontificate about "woe is us".

Troy "non elitist" Rushton

Same BHA "woe is me". Beyond Pint Nights what actions except protest, pontificate, press release does BHA do?

Now someone can tell me BHA isn't a traditional conservation organization. If I'm wrong please tell me of acreage, easement or habitat improvement they made. Short of cash how about volunteer for conservation causes. Here's a program; earn your Pint with action hours.

Go read the Cameron Hanes threat and hater posts when the man accepted Zinke invitation to participate. BHA should follow his example and ask for seat at the big tables in your communities. Or have a pint and pontificate about "woe is us".

You are incredibly dense, Troy.

What actions does BHA take part in? How about the work BHA members have done over the last year and in the coming years on a 9,650 acre parcel that the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge acquired through funding from the LWCF. To date, BHA members in the area have removed over 15 miles of fencing and 7 trailer loads of debris that has accumulated over the past century. I have brought volunteers to the area by boat (40 Miles round trip) and by vehicle (260 miles round trip). We will be continuing work this spring and summer with the goal of re-establishing sagebrush in some of the failed agricultural fields the following year. I know all this because I've organized it as a member of BHA. If you'd like to join in on the fun this summer I'll personally see to it that you have a plane ticket to Glasgow, Montana.

The author has also played a strong role in helping with pack strings on volunteer trips into the heart of the Bob Marshall Wilderness coordinating with the Bob Marshall Wilderness Foundation. Last years work trip cleared miles and miles of trails with more to come on this year's trip into the Bob. I can get you the dates on this volunteer trip if interested.

I'd be more than willing to upload some pictures for you to take a look at if need be.

Just because you don't look for it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Another poorly thought out and non researched post.

Color me an "Elite Green Decoy":rolleyes:

You are incredibly dense, Troy.

What actions does BHA take part in? How about the work BHA members have done over the last year and in the coming years on a 9,650 acre parcel that the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge acquired through funding from the LWCF. To date, BHA members in the area have removed over 15 miles of fencing and 7 trailer loads of debris that has accumulated over the past century. I have brought volunteers to the area by boat (40 Miles round trip) and by vehicle (260 miles round trip). We will be continuing work this spring and summer with the goal of re-establishing sagebrush in some of the failed agricultural fields the following year. I know all this because I've organized it as a member of BHA. If you'd like to join in on the fun this summer I'll personally see to it that you have a plane ticket to Glasgow, Montana.

The author has also played a strong role in helping with pack strings on volunteer trips into the heart of the Bob Marshall Wilderness coordinating with the Bob Marshall Wilderness Foundation. Last years work trip cleared miles and miles of trails with more to come on this year's trip into the Bob. I can get you the dates on this volunteer trip if interested.

I'd be more than willing to upload some pictures for you to take a look at if need be.

This is what I'm looking for, personally. I haven't looked into it as much as I would like to yet, but I've been feeling the need to join an organization where I can partake in some action that makes our hunting experience/environment/access/ect better. Not just say I belong so I can pound my chest and feel good about myself. Boots on the ground and all is what I want. I wasn't sure if I could get that from BHA. It always seemed like an organization that did good things, but I want to be in something where I, as a just an ordinary member, can be more involved than just going to a rendezvous. I personally want to get out and do something. I know opportunities exist in FF, TU, and DU. But there is no way I'm joining DU after all that went on there. But I digress. The only thing that has prevented me from joining BHA is I wasn't sure if the opportunity existed to actually go out and perform some community service or even attend regular meetings for the general membership, not just the officers. It honestly is something I've felt missing from my life(volunteering) and I get that from teaching hunter's safety, but that's only twice a year. I joined Wild Turkey because of what I see them trying to do to promote hunting, but I don't see much correspondence other than a magazine and a banquet. No invites to meetings. The same with RMEF. I get a magazine and a banquet. I know there are volunteer opportunists, but what about some outreach to the new people to let them know and welcome them? From the local club. Shoot, even a form letter with some general info would be better than the diddly squat you get. I got a letter from each national organization, but that doesn't do much to help me. What ever happened to having a secretary as a member of a board that took notes and corresponded with the membership to let them know what happened in meetings, details on upcoming meetings, ect. I was in a Fraternity. For however you feel about that, we were organized and we had a secretary that took notes and then produced reports. We have this thing called email now that's free to send out stuff like that. Pretty sure when I signed up for RMEF and WTF they asked for my email.

Point is, I want to be involved on a local level by sitting in on meetings. Not necessarily by sitting on a board, but I want to see what's going on. Be able to voice my opinion when I have one. And most of all, know what's going on. It seems there are a lot of groups where a few people run it, a few more are corresponded with and really know what's going on. And then there's a bunch of people that really just pay to be members so they feel good about themselves. Ooh. I got stickers and magazines and I get to go to a banquet. Color me excited now.

Populism is popular in today's political climate. Labeling someone an elite is the ultimate put down. Both sides use this technique way to frequently in order to divide and conquer.

But lets be honest. Setting aside large tracks of land to be completely of limits to any kind of development by man is something that only wealthy elite countries and people can do. I am damn glad that our great country can do these landscape scale conservation projects, and am not at all ashamed to be called an elitist when doing so.

The author has also played a strong role in helping with pack strings on volunteer trips into the heart of the Bob Marshall Wilderness coordinating with the Bob Marshall Wilderness Foundation. Last years work trip cleared miles and miles of

Great post Justin.

To the OP, what a great article. We need more like it. Fact is many folks do see the backcountry hunter and angler as elitist - maybe somewhat due to $300 dollar pairs of pants and fly fishermen on the river dressed up like storm troopers. But really, a private jet-flyin bureaucrat calling hunters whose success is predicated on little else but hard work as "elitist", is just trying to divide so he can conquer.

Remember the saga of Recapture Canyon/Trail. The UT wing particularly loathes roadless designations. One of Zinke/Trump's 1st actions was to reopen Recapture Trail to motorized use. Must repay the donors and core constituents, first thing. UT, Kochs, big oil/gas: these three direct our current public land policy. Join together, fight back!

2ski - BHA had a meeting last night in Bozeman. If you are a member and didn’t get an email invite, PM me and I’ll try to make sure you are on the list. Among the things discussed was BHA’s involvement in a collaborative group to make some recommendations for the Gallatin Forest plan.

In all groups, the amount of boots on the ground vs policy work is determined by what the members offer to organize. We will probably participate in the annual Hyalite cleanup this spring. I’m glad this isn’t a group whose main focus is throwing a banquet to fund the mothership.

Response I expected. BHA is an echo-chamber or house of mirrors organization. Everyone has the same views and reconfirms they are right and elite.

Sage Grouse are something we should all be able to focus attention on. I'd respect if I saw BHA encourages members to invite a grazer, driller, or OHV user to join at Pint Night and talk about birds and our common interest to protect and preserve. Amazing what ya have in common over a beer.

Schaaf, Using LWCF government money isn't that amazing. Any stats on BHA acres purchase, easements secured, hours volunteered on habitat or wildlife projects? Oh yeah BHA isn't a tradition conservation organization. I keep forgetting.

Jesus Dukes, I didn't think you could say anything dumber than your first comment. You really don't know what you are talking about.

Troy,

Strip away the bias here. Do you hunt by walking in and exerting yourself, or do you drive an ATV and complain that there's no game? Do you have $75K in debt for toys? Do you want to open up every acre of public land to off road travel while slashing budgets for noxious weed management or even basic maintenance? Do you think we should be able to drive all over public lands during elk parturition or on winter range?

Regardless of organizations involved (RMEF has been a good advocate for roadless areas since their misstep on the Roadless Release Act, and has advocated for shutting down FS roads during hunting seasons since the science indicates greater harvest success by doing so), I think it's fair to say that this is a "basket of deplorables" moment for old Secretary Buster here. He's saying kids with only boots who walk in to hunt are elitists. He's saying that those of us who put the miles in and work to keep wildlife habitat intact are elitists.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back