WY 1 Point Antelope Units 45 or 50? Help

brandonapps

I currently have 1 point for antelope in Wyoming and was looking at unit 50 muzzleloader buck or unit 45 rifle buck. Have anyone hunted these units? I know that some of the antelope country isn't all public and I don't want to pay a trespassing fee stick to DIY public lands. Does anyone have any information on these units or hunts? Or should I save my points and wait a couple of years for some better units? Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know anything about 50, but 45 is good. It has plenty of antelope and access to have a good time. I can think of better units if you waited a couple years, but if I were a NR, the wait wouldn't be worth it to me.

45 does not have tons of access but it is ok. The public sections do get hunted pretty well but decent bucks can be found.

What kind of buck or hunt are you looking for? The more points you have, the "better" your hunt should be. That's not always the case though. Some people don't want to wait 4+ years to get in some of the units with more land to hunt. I have been in 50 and it can be a good muzzy hunt. But there are better units out there that require a couple more points. So it comes down to when and how often you want to draw a tag.

I live in area 45, so that's where I normally hunt. True, there's not as much public land as some of the other areas, but there's still a ton of public land (plus HMAs), and with a good map system, you can find the legal access with no problem. Don't expect a B&C buck though. They generally just don't get that big in this areas. Good body size, just don't expect to see huge horns.

Looking at the draw odds for NR Preference you must be putting in the Special draw? Last year 50 took 3 and 45 took <2 to guarantee 100%, unless I'm misreading something. Reason I'm interested is we are entering the draw the same way, 1 pt.

I don't know anything about 50, but 45 is good. It has plenty of antelope and access to have a good time. I can think of better units if you waited a couple years, but if I were a NR, the wait wouldn't be worth it to me.

Hey jtm307, I am willing to wait, what is your advice for a better unit??

By willing to wait, I think he means continue to build points while hunting second choice units. Check the draw odds for units that can be drawn second choice, but realize that those will generally be units with tougher access.

My B&C buck came out of 45 but on private land that is now a wild horse sanctuary. I also live in 45.
I'll play devil's advocate for 50. If you enjoy muzzleloader hunting, it is a good area with decent bucks. Access is better than 45 I believe. Terrain for stalking within muzzleloader range.
You could stay in Saratoga, or camp, and get in some fishing and sage grouse hunting. Drive up into the Snowies for some dusky grouse hunting too.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back