Arizona anniversary trip advice

FLXHunter

Hey guys, just checking to see if anyone would have some recommended activities or spots to check out in AZ. I am in the process of planning a trip to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary in mid to late March. We enjoy outdoor activities and seclusion, so not really into resorts. Some good fishing would be great!

A jet boat trip to the base of Glen Canyon Dam and flyfishing the Colorado River at Lee's Ferry is a pretty awesome experience. I went with Dale Gauthier at Lee's Ferry Anglers 5 or 6 years ago, I don't do guided stuff, but this was worth it. It's fairly remote/rustic, but they've got a lodge and restaurant there too. I think we camped at the Lee's Ferry on the National Recreation Area, but it was a pretty windy spot the best I can recall. http://leesferry.com/ https://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/lees-ferry.htm On the way there we camped in Oak Creek Canyon near Sedona and also visited Sunset Crater NM and Wupatki NM. Good luck with the trip!

Lake of the Woods in Pinetop has cabins. Silver creek will still hold some trout in the C&R section. The nearby Indian reservation has some outstanding fishing as well. Lots of hiking also

Lake of the Woods in Pinetop has cabins. Silver creek will still hold some trout in the C&R section. The nearby Indian reservation has some outstanding fishing as well. Lots of hiking also

Pinetop is very nice indeed. Lots of places not far from there to fish or just sight see. The Blue Vista, fishing on the Black River. You can sometime see bighorns near the river. Elk watching near Big Lake or near Alpine. There is a herd of Bighorns that hangs out just outside of Springerville as well.

Thanks for the suggestions! Any idea what the weather is like in late March? My wife isn't picky about where we go, but after a upstate NY winter she would prefer to be somewhere a little warmer.

On a normal year it would be very cold and have lots of snow still on the ground. My brother who lives in Eagar/Sringerville tells me there has been no snow of consequence so far this winter.
Normally the roads up high aren't passable until April/May sometimes, again during normal snowfall years.

For a tourist view, you could check out the areas around Flagstaff. The Anasazi Indians inhabited the area. There are cliff dwellings worth seeing such as Walnut Canyon, Montezuma's Castle and Montezuma's Well. Do the Oak Creek Canyon drive between Flagstaff and Sedona and camp in Oak Creek Canyon. Great hiking around Sedona. Plenty of camping and hiking in the Coconino National Forest and Lake Mary area. Heck you could find the area you want to hunt elk, it is loaded. For a side trip being you're in the area go visit Meteor Crater. Most of this is not exactly wilderness but all worth seeing.

While the country around Sedona is very picturesque it is very much a tourist town full of shops and art galleries full of overpriced merchandise. Forget about getting anywhere near Oak creek near town because it is all private property and off limits. We've been there once and that was more than enough.
I think the Grand Canyon, if you haven't already seen it is spectacular.

While the country around Sedona is very picturesque it is very much a tourist town full of shops and art galleries full of overpriced merchandise. Forget about getting anywhere near Oak creek near town because it is all private property and off limits. We've been there once and that was more than enough.
I think the Grand Canyon, if you haven't already seen it is spectacular.

I wasn't suggesting staying in Sedona, though his wife may enjoy walking around town for an afternoon, but the area around there is great for hiking and breathtaking scenery and to find it he needs to find Sedona on the map first. Same goes for Oak Creek Canyon. It runs nearly the entire way to Flagstaff. There are a few small campgrounds far up the canyon (it sucks for motorhomes and large trailers). That time of year it should lack crowds and good hiking there too. The problem with the mountain areas of Arizona is the exodus of people from the valley escaping the heat. Yes, the Grand Canyon is beautiful and worth seeing every 20 years or so unless hiking down into the canyon expect a lot of people driving around. Just my .02

On a normal year it would be very cold and have lots of snow still on the ground. My brother who lives in Eagar/Sringerville tells me there has been no snow of consequence so far this winter.
Normally the roads up high aren't passable until April/May sometimes, again during normal snowfall years.

Hey thanks for all the help guys. Unfortunately when she heard what the weather might be like she wasn't too excited about it. We like to go on adventure trips,and have done camping in some pretty chilly weather, but on this one we had decided we would try for a more relaxed one in warm climate. Being from the northern part of the country I had just assumed it would be warmer down in AZ, but didn't consider the elevation. I want to try out these spots sometime though, might just take a trip with the whole family someday. They look like a lot of fun!

My favorite place in Arizona in the spring is Alamo lake state park. We live about two hours away and spend a week every spring down there. Awesome fishing, great campgrounds and the weather can't be beat. Plus you're about 35 miles from the nearest town. Just thought I'd throw it out there

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back