Jerky Recipes

JTHOMP

My mom bought me a dehydrator for Christmas and I already love this thing. First batch was made Friday and I currently have meat thawing to make a third batch. I'm planning on killing a hog to get enough meat to last until next hunting season, but now I might need a second one for jerky supply. Ended up not making sausage last season and was left with a huge surplus of ground deer and pig. Today I ordered a jerky gun to help go through that.

First batch I took the advice of a coworker and used some liquid smoke and added a seasoning blend for salt and spice. It was good, but the second batch was delicious!

Marinade was Allegro's hot and spicy marinade. Used about a half bottle for 3 pounds of cut slices. Added Tony Chachere's seasoning, garlic power, and cayenne pepper until I had the taste I wanted and let that sit all day. Think I'll add more garlic powder for the batch coming up and minced garlic when I make the ground meat strips

Temp 145 degrees for 10 hours.

I must have slipped some crack in it because I can't stop eating it It's better than anything I've had from the store. It'll be hard to try another recipe but does anyone else have one they'd like to share?

Attachments

• IMG_5217.jpg
    IMG_5217.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_5213.JPG
    IMG_5213.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
I like to marinade in Mt Dew, soy sauce, minced garlic and onion and lots of black and red pepper

I have been using the pepper version of Apline Seasoning with soy sauce, pink salt, and worchester and it has not failed me yet.

I have a meat slicer so I slice the meat then then marinate over night. Dehydrate until done.

Sounds very good! I love home-made jerky. If you should want, these folks make some wonderful jerky mixes. I guarantee that you will like them.

https://shop.hicountry.com/wild-game-jerky-seasonings-p12.aspx

I like these especially:
Original
Smoky
Garlic Pepper
Three Pepper
Sweet & Spicy
Spicy

Their Sausage seasonings are to die for also!
Country
Italian
German

They make snack stick seasonings also.
https://shop.hicountry.com/snack-stick-sausage-seasonings-p20.aspx
(All very good!)

I agree the Hi-Country seasonings are great. I have use Cabelas jerky seasoning with good success but can get the Hi-Country local.

Look up recipes for biltong... I make about 40lbs a year, or more. I prefer it over jerkey, mostly because its less labor intensive, and the flavor is amazing.

Pretty simple... for 10lbs of meat.
- 1/2 cup coarse salt (non-iodine)
- 2 cups Coriander (roast in 350deg oven for about 5 min, and grind up in small blender or coffee grinder)
- 1/4 cup black pepper (this will be pretty "hot")
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda (depending on how tough the meat is, this is the tenderizer use less for tender meat)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups or more vinegar (apple cider) meat bath

- Slice into 3/4" strips with the grain (when butchering meat, I make a biltong pile and wrap up in 3-4lb packages for later use. That way I defrost it and its ready for the marinade. No meat slicer needed, you can easily cut 3/4" stips with a knife.
- Mix all dry ingredients together
- Dip strips into a vinegar bath, then coat meat evenly with dry rub
- Place in glass or plastic tub(or bag) to marinade for at least 24 hours, I usually do 48hrs.
- Remove from marinade, scrape off excess rub (it will just fall off anyway, reduces the mess later)
- Hang to dry for 2-3 days

Hang in a warm dry place with air movement (use a small fan). A a food dehydrator will not work, unless you can set it really low temp, 80-90 degrees. The outside will dry out much to fast and the the inside will be raw. A friend of mine dries his by hanging it from his garage door rails, no fan, just open air... I made a box thats about 16x16x48" tall and use the base of an old food dehydrator for heat and air circulation. I cna do about 30lbs at a time. It will take 2-3+ days to dry depending on humidity. You want it firm, not rock hard.

Once done, slice across the grain about 1/8" thick, package for later or eat.

Like jerky, there is a 1000 different variations. I don't recommend adding a lot of Worcestershire, unless its right before you hang it. Worcester, will break down the meat and make it mushy...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back