Jerky Recipes

JTHOMP

My mom bought me a dehydrator for Christmas and I already love this thing. First batch was made Friday and I currently have meat thawing to make a third batch. I'm planning on killing a hog to get enough meat to last until next hunting season, but now I might need a second one for jerky supply. Ended up not making sausage last season and was left with a huge surplus of ground deer and pig. Today I ordered a jerky gun to help go through that.

First batch I took the advice of a coworker and used some liquid smoke and added a seasoning blend for salt and spice. It was good, but the second batch was delicious!

Marinade was Allegro's hot and spicy marinade. Used about a half bottle for 3 pounds of cut slices. Added Tony Chachere's seasoning, garlic power, and cayenne pepper until I had the taste I wanted and let that sit all day. Think I'll add more garlic powder for the batch coming up and minced garlic when I make the ground meat strips

Temp 145 degrees for 10 hours.

I must have slipped some crack in it because I can't stop eating it It's better than anything I've had from the store. It'll be hard to try another recipe but does anyone else have one they'd like to share?

Attachments

• IMG_5217.jpg
    IMG_5217.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_5213.JPG
    IMG_5213.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
I like to marinade in Mt Dew, soy sauce, minced garlic and onion and lots of black and red pepper

I have been using the pepper version of Apline Seasoning with soy sauce, pink salt, and worchester and it has not failed me yet.

I have a meat slicer so I slice the meat then then marinate over night. Dehydrate until done.

Sounds very good! I love home-made jerky. If you should want, these folks make some wonderful jerky mixes. I guarantee that you will like them.

https://shop.hicountry.com/wild-game-jerky-seasonings-p12.aspx

I like these especially:
Original
Smoky
Garlic Pepper
Three Pepper
Sweet & Spicy
Spicy

Their Sausage seasonings are to die for also!
Country
Italian
German

They make snack stick seasonings also.
https://shop.hicountry.com/snack-stick-sausage-seasonings-p20.aspx
(All very good!)

I agree the Hi-Country seasonings are great. I have use Cabelas jerky seasoning with good success but can get the Hi-Country local.

Look up recipes for biltong... I make about 40lbs a year, or more. I prefer it over jerkey, mostly because its less labor intensive, and the flavor is amazing.

Pretty simple... for 10lbs of meat.
- 1/2 cup coarse salt (non-iodine)
- 2 cups Coriander (roast in 350deg oven for about 5 min, and grind up in small blender or coffee grinder)
- 1/4 cup black pepper (this will be pretty "hot")
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda (depending on how tough the meat is, this is the tenderizer use less for tender meat)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups or more vinegar (apple cider) meat bath

- Slice into 3/4" strips with the grain (when butchering meat, I make a biltong pile and wrap up in 3-4lb packages for later use. That way I defrost it and its ready for the marinade. No meat slicer needed, you can easily cut 3/4" stips with a knife.
- Mix all dry ingredients together
- Dip strips into a vinegar bath, then coat meat evenly with dry rub
- Place in glass or plastic tub(or bag) to marinade for at least 24 hours, I usually do 48hrs.
- Remove from marinade, scrape off excess rub (it will just fall off anyway, reduces the mess later)
- Hang to dry for 2-3 days

Hang in a warm dry place with air movement (use a small fan). A a food dehydrator will not work, unless you can set it really low temp, 80-90 degrees. The outside will dry out much to fast and the the inside will be raw. A friend of mine dries his by hanging it from his garage door rails, no fan, just open air... I made a box thats about 16x16x48" tall and use the base of an old food dehydrator for heat and air circulation. I cna do about 30lbs at a time. It will take 2-3+ days to dry depending on humidity. You want it firm, not rock hard.

Once done, slice across the grain about 1/8" thick, package for later or eat.

Like jerky, there is a 1000 different variations. I don't recommend adding a lot of Worcestershire, unless its right before you hang it. Worcester, will break down the meat and make it mushy...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back