Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2017 Was An Interesting Year, But It Was Good To Me (Pic Heavy)

Schaaf

I've been meaning to post a compilation thread covering 2017 for a while and have finally gotten around to it.

2017 was bound to be an interesting season with a baby due in September (I know, poor planning on my part) but I was still able to get out and have an amazing year.

First of all, I was able to join with some other Hunt Talkers and put some sweat equity on some recently acquired public land (thank you LWCF!) close to home. We camped out in July and removed fence, machinery, and anything else we could find in a couple days time. Will be doing it again this summer if anyone's interested.

ExRqzPD.jpg

Then in September my daughter was due and she already had me on my toes from day one. We were sent home from the hospital at 5 am and delivered her at home in our bathroom at 6:30 am twenty-five miles from the hospital. Quick thinking on my part allowed me to tie the umbilical cord with a zip-tie and potato chip bag clip that I found on my garage work bench. :) We then waited 30 minutes for the ambulance to show up and I luckily remembered to have the driver take a quick picture of us before we left for proof.

UaQpgsT.jpg

Not too long afterwards Antelope season started and we were able to get one of my best friends on his first buck.

g7EQcST.jpg

Another one of my best friends with his first buck. (Wish we would have gotten a better picture.)

6UXaiQG.jpg

Stumbled into one for myself as well.

8sf5tnP.jpg

Let my bladder freeze solid on this hunt.

osVNkTo.jpg

Good friends that help pack meat below 0*.

yYYCxQO.jpg

Looking down at the right times.

uKzCuAu.jpg

Renewable Calcium source

w8l5PTf.jpg

Remedies for a cold night in the tipi.

JN3rO1X.jpg

This was a first for me. I had never encountered a severely injured animal while on a hunt. It took me about 5 seconds to realize there was something different with this elk. After watching her for over 30 minutes I realized there was no way this animal was going to recover from this injured hind leg. I would be willing to guess she had lost over 75% of her muscle mass on this quarter and almost 50% on the other side. One well placed shot from the 7mm made quick work of what the winter or coyotes would have done in a much slower process.

nfRhp7x.jpg

Fighting through Russian Olives for ditch parrots we found this boat close to the river that was last registered in '77.

0pQdIMh.jpg

Obligatory meat in smoker picture..

PGHwOob.jpg

Damn good season, congrats on everything especially the kiddo! Had a daughter this past year myself, but our delivery wasn't as exciting as yours. (I had to pause typing this to get said infant out of the bathroom, she loves splashing the toilet water.) You're living in on the places I've always wanted to hunt/fish, I'll cash in my bonus points one of these days. Thanks for sharing and again, congrats on the kid and a good year and here's to 2018 being just as good!

Kudos to everyone in that first pic! Is everyone a HT member? If they don't care, throw out some names, always nice to put a name to a face. Great looking animals, congrats. I'm guessing you meant a water bladder that froze, not ....... never mind. The biggest congrats for the arrival of your daughter! Wow, a home birth, glad we never got to experience one of those.

Dang, ya'll's Montana wimmens are some kinda tough. Big congrats on the home birth.

..thanks for the pics & recap.

Schaaf , you got to meet me so it was a good year. :)

Great work! Well done.

My daughter arrived similar to yours, but in the car on the way to the hospital. Never been so scared in my life haha

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back