The latest from Outside Mag - EnergyNet: Auctioning our Public Lands

It seems an uneducated person would take this for actual land being sold.

The leases exist, yes? So nothing is currently changing other that Britain capitalizing on the market moving the auctions from in person to online?

in September 2015, EnergyNet landed an exclusive contract to host every online lease auction for the BLM.
It seems that some of this took place during the Obama administration, Kornze in particular.

Yeah, that's what it sounds like. Just of the many things in life that I didn't know I didn't know about.

It seems an uneducated person would take this for actual land being sold.

The leases exist, yes? So nothing is currently changing other that Britain capitalizing on the market moving the auctions from in person to online?

It seems that some of this took place during the Obama administration, Kornze in particular.

I am having a tough time getting worked up by it as well. To think that our Gov't wouldn't employ new technology to sell leases ignores basic commerce in the digital age. The key is keeping in place the laws that allow for public participation in the process. If you want to monkey wrench, now you can do it from the comfort of your home while you bid online.

I am having a tough time getting worked up by it as well. To think that our Gov't wouldn't employ new technology to sell leases ignores basic commerce in the digital age. The key is keeping in place the laws that allow for public participation in the process. If you want to monkey wrench, now you can do it from the comfort of your home while you bid online.

And this is the big mystery, to me at least, what are those laws? If they are modified, how does one find out prior to them going to vote?

I wonder how many leases are sitting out there that have had no "boots on the ground" action. I know that a friend who worked for a CO O&G company that had leases on unproven ground for exploratory reasons. They have since sold them off due to financial reasons. I'm guessing it went through this online process.

Unless I'm missing something, BLM still has to comply with NEPA & NHPA before undertaking a federal action. It seems to me these environmental activists/terrorists are just butt-hurt that they don't get to stage a protest at (some might say disrupt) the auction site?

None of that is to say I'm a huge fan of drilling if it disrupts wildlife (see NEPA review process). But if it's going to be done, why not make the auctions more accessible and get the highest value to BLM for the rights?

You often comply with NEPA by getting an "expert" to say it doesn't impact something, but then if there's another expert contests that conclusion and says "oh wait, I say it does" it can be ignored or rejected. I personally had a valid complaint rejected because I did not provided comments on a draft EIS (because I hadn't heard about it) and only provided it on the review of the final EIS. That's bullshit. And I tend to think it happens a f*ckton on these drilling leases.

Back