Fletching question

02350FC

I knocked off my first cane and it’s a pain to go to the archery shop to repair it so I bought a fletch jig and it is the 3 degree eh helix. It looks like my babes on the black eagle outlaw aren’t strait but it also doesn’t seem like they are strait either. What is best for accuracy?

I knocked off my first cane and it’s a pain to go to the archery shop to repair it so I bought a fletch jig and it is the 3 degree eh helix. It looks like my babes on the black eagle outlaw aren’t strait but it also doesn’t seem like they are strait either. What is best for accuracy?

What?

michael_smith_as_bubbles.jpg

Auto text is so lame! I’m pretty sure it hates hunters! I knocked off my first vane and just reflected it but it looks like the arrow may have been a strait vane.

I use feathers, in a tight right helical, on both my compound and recurve. I like feathers better than vanes simply for the helical you can put on them.

I use a right helical. just make sure that the base of the vane is all the way on the shaft.

I'm guessing the OP means his arrows were fletched with straight but ever so slightly angled vanes, known as off set. Now he has a helical fletcher and is wondering what is more accurate.

The answer is you have to be a damn good archer to tell. Both are widely used. Myself I like a helical for stability and forgiveness. Especially with fixed blades. I think you'll find most production arrows are off set because it's usually easier to get good adhesion. You don't need to go crazy with the helical though.

Arrow building can take you down a rabbit hole most of us can never realize any true benefit from.

I'm guessing the OP means his arrows were fletched with straight but ever so slightly angled vanes, known as off set. Now he has a helical fletcher and is wondering what is more accurate.

The answer is you have to be a damn good archer to tell. Both are widely used. Myself I like a helical for stability and forgiveness. Especially with fixed blades. I think you'll find most production arrows are off set because it's usually easier to get good adhesion. You don't need to go crazy with the helical though.

Arrow building can take you down a rabbit hole most of us can never realize any true benefit from.

^^I agree with all of this^^
Remove the other two vanes from that arrow and re-fletch with your jig (so they're all 3 helical). Go shoot.
Pay attention to what that arrow does each time compared to the rest, if the rest are all off set. Probably won't be much difference, until you screw on some broad heads...maybe.

I'll agree also. I like a hard right helical fletching for fixed blade heads. With good form you can't tell the difference but they seem to help in real world hunting situations.
One thing to consider is the rest you are using and the clearance it provides. Wiskerbisket?
If you don't know what you have I'd definitely strip all of the fletchings and start new

So I bought a dozen spartan black eagle arrows and I’m fletching them with the Bohning jig not sure the model with a 3* helix and the front right is driving me nuts! The right 1/4 inch is making me batty! Anyone have a different jig or have a adhesive recommendation?

May not be what you're looking for but I bought one of those red bohning fletching jigs a few years ago and had terrible luck trying to get decent results with it, I ended up buying a few packs of the bohning heat shrink quickfletch that you submerge in hot water to fletch your arrows with. I've used these for the past few years and have had great results, I regularly shoot out to 60 yards with fixed blade broadheads and have not been able to tell any difference between the quickfletched arrows and arrows with factory fletching. I also like the fact that they give your arrows a crested appearance for higher visibility. If you try these just be sure to follow the directions and dip the arrows slowly making sure that they shrink up as you go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back