Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

"Randy Newberg hunter" with Cushman

Another great show. Gerald, too much coffee to hold the camera steady during the shot? :D

Hah! I didn't have time to get the tripod legs set before the shot and was standing beside the barrel. It happened pretty fast. That doe had smelled us and looped around from our left to right. When she stopped, the grass was too tall to set Gareth up on the shooting sticks so he slid over and braced off the tree. I wasn't really even encouraging him to shoot because I thought it might be too difficult of a shot for him to make. He was looking through the scope and I asked him if he was steady. He told me he thought he could kill her so I said go for it!

Crazy thing was, not only did I jerk the camera, I also blinked when he shot, so I didn't see a thing. The deer hit the deck so fast I missed it. While we were trying to figure out what happened, another doe popped out from the same direction this doe was facing. She was 80 yards out and broadside. I wasn't sure what happened, but I told him to hold off even though he had another tag and could have legally killed two deer. He's a pretty good shot, so I wanted to make sure what happened on the first shot so he didn't fill his tags with two does.

As you can see, he had connected on his first shot and tomorrow's episode will show just how glad we were that he held off pulling the trigger on the second doe!

It was a pretty happy camp with grilled elk loin and all the pressure off with John's buck tag filled and Gareth killing his first deer. We had the cake, everything in the next couple days was just going to be extra frosting!

Just watched day 2 and loved it. Was it just me or was it edited to show the similarity in joyful reactions to the young man's first deer and Cushman's Montana buck. Yep, the perfect buck. Congrats to all involved.
I stopped watching and didn't enjoy hunting shows for a few years. It took guys like Newberg and Rinella to make shows I was interested in watching. I've been fortunate to participate in several firsts for kids and adults alike. Giant bucks and bulls are great, but you can't beat the pure joy experienced by the "firsts" Great job guys.

Congrats to both John and Gareth. A couple of great shots that really dumped those animals hard. Gerald, I'm curious to what caliber Gareth was shooting? He looked extremely comfortable handling his gun. Looks like some good coaching was done to a new accomplished hunter. Well done.

Congrats to both Cush and Gareth! Great episode. I have spent a lot of time in those exact spots you were hunting over the years. Some of the most beautiful country there is. Unfortunately it hasn't held much for deer the past few years. Great job guys.

Great episode. I’m really enjoying this. Congrats to Gareth and Cush!

Wow I just watched the first 2 episodes. That's my kind of hunting. Cushman I never met you just read a few post on here. But when you said let the boy go get his first deer you had been doing it for years. That's all I needed to know about you. Your welcome at any of my camps. Also I'm a meat Hunter first and foremost nothing against trophy hunting but I love seeing a kid get introduced and encouraged to take a deer. They are all trophies. And Cushman that was a fine buck. Can't wait to see the rest of the episodes.

I've been waiting since the discussion thread for this hunt to see the footage, and so far it's lived up to expectations. Couple nice shots on Day 2!

Congrats to both John and Gareth. A couple of great shots that really dumped those animals hard. Gerald, I'm curious to what caliber Gareth was shooting? He looked extremely comfortable handling his gun. Looks like some good coaching was done to a new accomplished hunter. Well done.

Gareth was shooting a .243. It's a youth compact model and he impresses me with his shooting ability. I suspect it's more due to his talent than my great coaching. :)

It was a pretty happy camp with grilled elk loin and all the pressure off with John's buck tag filled and Gareth killing his first deer. We had the cake, everything in the next couple days was just going to be extra frosting!

Like others, I've been drooling in anticipation of these videos! So cool to see you get your kids involved and see their smiles.

I couldn't help but notice the Cavendar's seasoning in one of the camp meal shots- that stuff is the bomb! I got turned onto that in a NoDak hotel parking lot 15 years ago when a hunter from another room came out to watch us clean birds and asked, "You wanna try the best duck you've ever eaten?" "Do I look like a guy that turns down food? Sure!" His fried duck strips in flour/Cavendar's w/ homemade BBQ sauce was amazing. I've converted quite a few folks to that stuff, should've bought stock in it.

I can't wait to see more smiles on those little guys! With a little luck I'll be getting my little guy a shot at his first deer once this fall rolls around.

Just getting around to watching day 2 this morning.

Great shot, John, that was fantastic!

And a proud moment for you, it must have been, Gerald, to film your son's first successful deer hunt!

Well done, all!

Last edited:
Just watched all 3 so far, great job! glad to see everyone is having a good time, that SE Montana country is something special

Day 3 is here:

[video=youtube_share;-GJBtWmVapE]https://youtu.be/-GJBtWmVapE[/video]

What an awesome set of videos, with good shooting to boot. Well done everyone. Hope your surgeries go well Cush.

BigFin posting that nice whitetail I'm going to have to watch day 3 with the boy when we get back from scouts!

The only thing I hate about these day by day hunt videos is I only get to watch one a day!!!! Even though I know the outcome from reading the thread on this hunt, I love watching these videos!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back