Caribou Gear Tarp

Looking for advice on Wyoming Antelope area 6,7,8,9,11,29,103.

Go to the county GIS webpage and look up some landowners names and call them before you apply. I have had great luck over the past 29 years gaining access that way. I call before I apply then after I draw the tag to touch base and let the landowner know I have the tag. Not every landowner will give access and yes some will charge for the privilege but access can be found via phone calls.
If you call mid morning you may get the wife, ask her if the family allows hunting, most often they will give me the ranchers cell phone number or I ask a best time to call without interrupting dinner or lunch.

That being said, private land is not a necessity to get a nice buck unless your tag is private land only. Look into public accessible lands in areas your pondering, the hunt planner map on G&F webpage shows the public lands in the state and private lands enrolled in public access. HMAs and Walk in areas can change from year to year and unfortunately are not released until July.
The hunt planner also shows the drawing odds from this past year and harvest stats from 2016, 2017 is being calculated from harvest surveys right now.

Thank you Wytex. That is really solid information and a realistic way to get in touch with landowners in the unit. I'll give that a go. The worst they can say is no, right? Thank you for the tip!

With 2 points, you could probably draw units with much better access than the ones you listed.

JTM - I agree. I am also considering units west of Casper for that reason, but I wouldn't mind learning units in the east since tags there are easier to come by so I can take my wife and son antelope hunting in subsequent years without having to wait too long in between. But I completely agree with your assessment.

I think the best advice I can give you is to make sure you have an OnX chip for your gps, as well as a range finder. Make sure that the area you're looking at has several decent chunks of public land to hunt ( and make sure that you actually can reach them on county roads ), otherwise though, I wouldn't stress too much about access. There are a lot of antelope and if you have several places to hunt, you should be able to find some. Have fun!

I think the best advice I can give you is to make sure you have an OnX chip for your gps, as well as a range finder. Make sure that the area you're looking at has several decent chunks of public land to hunt ( and make sure that you actually can reach them on county roads ), otherwise though, I wouldn't stress too much about access. There are a lot of antelope and if you have several places to hunt, you should be able to find some. Have fun!

Awesome! I’ll be sure I have the chip. I have studied the areas pretty heavily but I don’t know the regs as far as parking. For example: If public land surrounds a road or highway, is it allowed to just pull off onto the shoulder on public land and go hunt? How does that work? Thanks again

Awesome! I’ll be sure I have the chip. I have studied the areas pretty heavily but I don’t know the regs as far as parking. For example: If public land surrounds a road or highway, is it allowed to just pull off onto the shoulder on public land and go hunt? How does that work? Thanks again

Generally, you can. But, it's hard to tell the difference between private and public roads in Wyoming. I would recommend calling fish and game to check on specific roads and whether you can drive them. You'll also want to ask them about the enforcement of corner crossing in that county. In some counties, you can get in trouble for crossing a from one square of public land, to another at the touching corners. In other counties, you will not get in any trouble.

You're going to have a great time, just make sure you have 3 or 4 decent pieces of public to hunt and hopefully a couple of HMA's to boot.

Generally, you can. But, it's hard to tell the difference between private and public roads in Wyoming. I would recommend calling fish and game to check on specific roads and whether you can drive them. You'll also want to ask them about the enforcement of corner crossing in that county. In some counties, you can get in trouble for crossing a from one square of public land, to another at the touching corners. In other counties, you will not get in any trouble.

You're going to have a great time, just make sure you have 3 or 4 decent pieces of public to hunt and hopefully a couple of HMA's to boot.

Thank you for the feedback on parking and crossing into another parcel where corners are touching. I’ve definitely been able to find find some parcels with public access, I just wonder how the antelope will react come opening weekend. It’s an adventure that I’m really looking forward to. Thanks for the info!

I didn't mean to start a war holy crap. It doesn't hurt to ask land owners to hunt and yes I am a resident. I hunt on a lot of private land that I've just drove up and asked them and I didn't know the land owner prior. Yes theres more ranchers who don't want you hunting but Theres landowners out there who don't give a crap and will let you hunt an antelope buck without a fee. Matter of fact me and my buddy both killed a buck with our bows on private land. and we didn't know the landowner before hand. Yes don't bank on private land hunting just keep it in mind im just trying to help in anyway I can!

He might be a resident, but I've also not missed a season out there since 1998 and am out there for 2 months every year and do know quite a bit of the ins and outs. The problem if you're a NR is because there really are very few ways you can have contact with a rancher unless someone tells you who to contact since the G&F and a lot of the C of Cs don't have lists any longer. If I was a NR I sure wouldn't spend a bunch of money on tags and drive a long way not knowing where I was going to hunt and then drive all day trying to get permission when a lot of the time the ranch owner isn't anywhere to be found. I'm sending the OP a PM on where to apply for and he should at least get the buck tag and do okay where I'm sending him.

I am a resident just trying to help they guy anyway I can I hunt on a lot of private land here and all these landowners want is the landowners tag after harvest. Doesn't hurt to ask

I am a resident just trying to help they guy anyway I can I hunt on a lot of private land here and all these landowners want is the landowners tag after harvest. Doesn't hurt to ask

I'd love to find a landowner that wants some doe antelope coupons.

I know you are, but telling a guy what you did is not really helping a person that may live well over 1000 miles from there and is HOPING he can gain access AFTER he gets there! The G&F booklet actually warns NRs to have a place to hunt BEFORE they apply for a tag. You have all year as a resident to make contacts and ranchers are also more prone to allow you access than a NR and that's a fact! It's also not polite or courteous to bother ranchers if you can even find them during the hunting season itself and many won't even answer their phone if they don't know who's calling because so many people bother them that time of the year. Also, if you'll read the other posts, two other residents are saying exactly what I did so right now you're outnumbered 3-1 on your private land advice.

Last edited:
I know you are, but telling a guy what you did is not really helping a person that may live well over 1000 miles from there and is HOPING he can gain access AFTER he gets there! The G&F booklet actually warns NRs to have a place to hunt BEFORE they apply for a tag. You have all year as a resident to make contacts and ranchers are also more prone to allow you access than a NR and that's a fact! It's also not polite or courteous to bother ranchers if you can even find them during the hunting season itself and many won't even answer their phone if they don't know who's calling because so many people bother them that time of the year. Also, if you'll read the other posts, two other residents are saying exactly what I did so right now you're outnumbered 3-1 on your private land advice.

Sorry I Offended you

Last edited:
I understand what you mean by getting to know the units in the east, but with two points I'd look elsewhere. Look at it this way, with two points and the special draw you can get into a unit with tons of quality public land for less money than a trespass fee in the east.

Also, unit 9 has a nice amount of public land but I was out late last season and it was pretty barren by then. If you hit 9, make sure its at the opener for the best odds on public land. Thats likely the case in other units you've mentioned.

I understand what you mean by getting to know the units in the east, but with two points I'd look elsewhere. Look at it this way, with two points and the special draw you can get into a unit with tons of quality public land for less money than a trespass fee in the east.

Also, unit 9 has a nice amount of public land but I was out late last season and it was pretty barren by then. If you hit 9, make sure its at the opener for the best odds on public land. Thats likely the case in other units you've mentioned.

I think that is a very valid point you raise VAspeedgoat. I’m looking around central WY to see if I can turn those points into a bigger goat! Thanks!

Jumping on late with a few thoughts. Wyoming has walk in areas and maps. Check out hunt planner. You may find the occasional rancher that will allow hunting on their land but don't assume this. Easy to draw units typically mostly private land. Tougher units will have BLM and state land. Even in private land areas there are chunks of public land here and there. Not all will be accessible though. As mentioned, if you have a few public areas and walk in areas you should not have a problem finding antelope. They are abundant in Wyoming. If you have a few places just rotate between during the day and glass. They are active all day and bed down at night, much the opposite of whitetails. This hunt will be an adventure you will never forget.

Jumping on late with a few thoughts. Wyoming has walk in areas and maps. Check out hunt planner. You may find the occasional rancher that will allow hunting on their land but don't assume this. Easy to draw units typically mostly private land. Tougher units will have BLM and state land. Even in private land areas there are chunks of public land here and there. Not all will be accessible though. As mentioned, if you have a few public areas and walk in areas you should not have a problem finding antelope. They are abundant in Wyoming. If you have a few places just rotate between during the day and glass. They are active all day and bed down at night, much the opposite of whitetails. This hunt will be an adventure you will never forget.

Thank you for the very positive sentiment! I’m totally jazzed up about this hunt! I think it’s awesome that the Wyoming state government provides Walk In access in cooperation with private land holders. It’s also great news that antelope stay active all day. I have located several Walk In areas and I’m zeroing In on some public lands. Much is landlocked as you indicate. As for whitetail, I’ve never had a chance to hunt them because I’m California they don’t exist. Unfortunately we only have Blacktail and mule deer, which I’ve shot plenty of, buck I am stoked to get a goat! It will be a first!

Thanks again!

Sorry for the extremely late reply, but I wanted to thank everyone for the pieces of info that were passed along the way that ended up in a successful antelope hunt for me and a buddy in Wyoming 2018. We both got our goat. Nothing massive but definitely solid animals and we were happy with the results. We were in Wyoming for 5 days and saw in excess of 3,000 antelope and 1,500 deer. It was truly an amazing experience and we hope to return one day. Best of luck all!

Attachments

• CDB0F0EF-8B9F-485E-8406-DED85FC973DC.jpeg
    CDB0F0EF-8B9F-485E-8406-DED85FC973DC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • D9601CF0-BC22-4D5A-8E18-2A68A0512822.png
    D9601CF0-BC22-4D5A-8E18-2A68A0512822.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 39
Sorry for the extremely late reply, but I wanted to thank everyone for the pieces of info that were passed along the way that ended up in a successful antelope hunt for me and a buddy in Wyoming 2018. We both got our goat. Nothing massive but definitely solid animals and we were happy with the results. We were in Wyoming for 5 days and saw in excess of 3,000 antelope and 1,500 deer. It was truly an amazing experience and we hope to return one day. Best of luck all!
So what unit did you end up hunting in 2018?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back