MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Looking for advice on Wyoming Antelope area 6,7,8,9,11,29,103.

GoatHntr

Dear All,

I am a first timer out of state trying to put together an antelope hunt in Wyoming. I’ve finally got a job that will give me a few days off to hunt and the wife (to my surprise) has given me the go-ahead to go to the speed goat holy-grounds. With that said, after doing extensive research, it’s apparent that the areas in eastern Wyoming where I would like to head for to hunt a buck antelope and doe antelope (if tags are available) poses difficulty in that there is sparser public land rather than southern Wyoming, but the “drawability” is much more favorable in the east. Along with ease of draw comes a lot of hunters and dangers of drifting onto private land and the frustrations of antelope seeking cover on private lands. So before I “pull the trigger” I wanted to see if the hunting community here would share some knowledge that that you all have acquired with a guy who will be doing his first out of state hunt? I’d be very thankful.

1. I’m confused by the special v. points preference draw distinction. Is the real difference that one is more expensive and more likely to be drawn? Is there any benefit of having a special points tag?

2. If I apply for a buck antelope tag, how do I also get a doe tag? Is there is limit on doe tags? It appears that “left-over tags” are no longer offered by over the counter and that you have to apply for a doe tag ahead of time. Is that true? How does that all work. For example, I would like to get a buck tag and a doe tag or two.

3. The antelope areas: probably the most significant piece of the puzzle is figuring out the area and making the hunt area that I am going to hunt as small as possible before I get to Wyoming. For buck antelope I am considering area: 6,7, or 103. For doe antelope I would consider 9/11, 29 or 103.

4. My analysis of 6 is that there is very little state or public land there in Niobrara county with no walk on areas. 7 has slightly more public than 6. 103 has some walk on but is mostly private. 9 with top part of 11 has several walk-ons, decent state land but there are a ton of tags and it may be difficult to hunt with so much pressure. 29 has decent public access in the Grasslands area but also lots of tags and pressure.

5. Would anyone be willing to share any areas that are accessible to the public in the areas I discuss above to help me narrow in on an area or a ranch name/ rancher/ contact I could call to see if they would be willing to allow me to access their land for a fee or otherwise? I’d like to learn Wyoming antelope so I can take my son back in a few years when he is old enough to hunt.

Thank you everyone. If I end up drawing something and make it there ahead of time for a scouting trip, I’d be happy to report back my findings. Also, please feel free to PM me if preferred. Good luck to everyone this season!

I’m not familiar with any of those areas but i do Know there’s antelope anywhere you go here. You’d also be surprised how many ranchers would let you hunt antelope. When you find yourself an area and go scout don’t be afraid to ask landowners. Your far more likely to have a land owner let you hunt antelope then say deer or elk. That my experience anyway.

Over the counter is hard to come by anymore you’d be better off to apply for an “additional doe/fawn” tag along with your buck tag

Thank you for the info Paul! I'm glad to hear that ranchers are willing to allow hunters to access their land for an antelope. California land owners are not very accommodating in my experience. It would be pretty remarkable to hunt private land.

Hate to disagree with the information he gave you, but it's now pretty difficult to gain access anywhere out there for free to hunt a buck antelope. It's become big money where the ranchers either charge for access or lease the whole place out to an outfitter and they charge an arm and a leg. It's much easier to gain free access later in the season to shoot does though. Almost everything you asked about is either explained on other threads on this antelope forum if you do a search or is in the G&F website booklet. You'll either go into the Regular Draw or Special Draw first depending on how much money you want to spend for a buck tag. The theory is that you have better odds in the higher priced draw, but that isn't always the case. Most, but not all those tags go to those with PPs, and those who don't draw a tag then go into the Random Draw for the remaining 25% of the tags in each unit. Doe tags are done in a separate random draw where everyone has a chance since no PPs are used. You can apply and draw 2 tags in the initial draw and then get another two in the second draw if any are left in the areas you want. After that second draw any that are left are sold online first come first serve to both residents and NRs with no preference given to residents, but one person has a max of 4. If you want to hunt private lands, you need to look at the top "Public Access" section on the G&F website for the WIHAs and HMAs that might be in a unit you apply for.

Last edited:
I didn't see where you mentioned if you have any points or not. Area 29-1 takes a few points to draw unless you go with the special drawing, and 29-2 is only valid for private land, so you couldn't hunt the national grasslands with the 29-2 tag. Good luck in your search

Topgun,

Thank you for your honesty and reply concerning ranchers in Wyoming. While I could understand why ranchers want antelope gone from their land, I also understand why many would be reluctant to allow so many non-resident hunters onto their land. And with the surge of interest in antelope hunting, I understand how demand causes price to increase.

I'd also like to thank you for your explanation of the draw system in Wyoming. I think I finally have an understanding of how it all works.

As for the other, as you point out, this forum does discuss all of the abovementioned zones in some capacity. I notice that you have given many replies to hunters seeking advice for Wyoming antelope hunts in the eastern portion of the state and what appears to be very sound advice. I have contacted all of the county seats of the respective areas I mention, some are more helpful than others, but lists of landowners who do trespass fees don't seem to exist. I am hoping that some kind soul might direct me to a rancher I could contact or possibly point out areas that I should consider or avoid. This is all very new to me. For example, if I had to choose between 6 and 7 for a buck which zone appears to be more favorable to non-resident public land hunters. Where should I venture to? Which walk in zones are worth it, which are not? Based on my analysis if I want a buck and a doe, I will be hunting 6 or 7 for a buck and then 9 for a doe. I also wonder if 103 is worth hunting from a public land hunter's perspective, given that there is the possibility of hunting Camp Guernsey, a couple walk ins and scattered sparse BLM. In your view, does it make sense to hunt 6 or 7 for a buck then 9 for a doe, or do I just go to 103 and hunt both?

Thanks for your explanations. They are appreciated.

I didn't see where you mentioned if you have any points or not. Area 29-1 takes a few points to draw unless you go with the special drawing, and 29-2 is only valid for private land, so you couldn't hunt the national grasslands with the 29-2 tag. Good luck in your search

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I do have 2 points for antelope. I was holding out for 29 for a doe tag, but I see it is private only deal now and I don't have private land in Wyoming anywhere as of yet, so 29 is likely off the list. Thanks again.

You do realize that millerpaul17 is a Wyoming resident? I'd pay attention to what he has to say. When it comes to ranchers it's best not to generalize. Some want nothing more than a good visit and the landowner coupon that comes with the license. It takes some effort but they can be found.

You do realize that millerpaul17 is a Wyoming resident? I'd pay attention to what he has to say. When it comes to ranchers it's best not to generalize. Some want nothing more than a good visit and the landowner coupon that comes with the license. It takes some effort but they can be found.

How do you know he is a resident? I couldn't see that he was.

Unfortunately my experiences agree with top gun, while there may be an odd landowner that allows buck hunting for free, I would not count on it unless you are around for a few weeks before hand to knock on a whole heap of doors. Again just my experience but it has led me to not even try anymore and just stick to public land.

He might be a resident, but I've also not missed a season out there since 1998 and am out there for 2 months every year and do know quite a bit of the ins and outs. The problem if you're a NR is because there really are very few ways you can have contact with a rancher unless someone tells you who to contact since the G&F and a lot of the C of Cs don't have lists any longer. If I was a NR I sure wouldn't spend a bunch of money on tags and drive a long way not knowing where I was going to hunt and then drive all day trying to get permission when a lot of the time the ranch owner isn't anywhere to be found. I'm sending the OP a PM on where to apply for and he should at least get the buck tag and do okay where I'm sending him.

Last edited:
How do you know he is a resident? I couldn't see that he was.

Unfortunately my experiences agree with top gun, while there may be an odd landowner that allows buck hunting for free, I would not count on it unless you are around for a few weeks before hand to knock on a whole heap of doors. Again just my experience but it has led me to not even try anymore and just stick to public land.

Thanks for the back up! The guy said "out here" in his post, which means he lives somewhere in WY.

Don't ever bank on landowners giving access, it can happen but plan for public. Even if a unit is marked hard access check out the Walk-In-Areas (WIA). But beware that not every WIA allows antelope hunting, check the G&F pages. To go further into the WIA talk, they're open at different times and not a guarantee that a WIA open this year will be open the following. The regional access managers will be able to answer you if you want to make damn sure that a particular WIA will be available.

Don't ever bank on landowners giving access, it can happen but plan for public. Even if a unit is marked hard access check out the Walk-In-Areas (WIA). But beware that not every WIA allows antelope hunting, check the G&F pages. To go further into the WIA talk, they're open at different times and not a guarantee that a WIA open this year will be open the following. The regional access managers will be able to answer you if you want to make damn sure that a particular WIA will be available.

You raise a good point. Certainly private land is a benefit, a huge one. I feel very thankful that the state of Wyoming makes WIHA's available for non-residents. This is a huge opportunity!

Thanks for your input.

Take this for what it's worth as I'm no expert nor have I been in the units you reference . We have hunted 2 limited access units over the last 4 years. up until last year 1 could be drawn with 0 points and the other was a leftover until September. We have filled all our tags every year. So with 2 points I would venture to say pick a unit you can draw and be on point with your shooting and you should not have any problems

Take this for what it's worth as I'm no expert nor have I been in the units you reference . We have hunted 2 limited access units over the last 4 years. up until last year 1 could be drawn with 0 points and the other was a leftover until September. We have filled all our tags every year. So with 2 points I would venture to say pick a unit you can draw and be on point with your shooting and you should not have any problems

Thank you Mudranger1! I appreciate the confidence. I’m really looking forward to my first Wyoming adventure!

I would not worry much about the relative number of tags as long as there is accessible land which holds pronghorn. One way to get a warm, fuzzy feeling is to look at recent harvest rates. If tags are mostly being filled then either all those tags are paying to get on private land or pronghorn are on accessible land.

I would not worry much about the relative number of tags as long as there is accessible land which holds pronghorn. One way to get a warm, fuzzy feeling is to look at recent harvest rates. If tags are mostly being filled then either all those tags are paying to get on private land or pronghorn are on accessible land.

You raise a very valid point. I have gotten that warm fuzzy feeling a couple times, but then I second guess myself. There’s a pretty steep learning curve here but I’m piecing it together little by little.

Go to the county GIS webpage and look up some landowners names and call them before you apply. I have had great luck over the past 29 years gaining access that way. I call before I apply then after I draw the tag to touch base and let the landowner know I have the tag. Not every landowner will give access and yes some will charge for the privilege but access can be found via phone calls.
If you call mid morning you may get the wife, ask her if the family allows hunting, most often they will give me the ranchers cell phone number or I ask a best time to call without interrupting dinner or lunch.

That being said, private land is not a necessity to get a nice buck unless your tag is private land only. Look into public accessible lands in areas your pondering, the hunt planner map on G&F webpage shows the public lands in the state and private lands enrolled in public access. HMAs and Walk in areas can change from year to year and unfortunately are not released until July.
The hunt planner also shows the drawing odds from this past year and harvest stats from 2016, 2017 is being calculated from harvest surveys right now.

Back