Caribou hunt 40 mile air

How do you have a hunt booked with them in 2019? I didn't think they took app's until December for the following yea. Thus you'd been applying in December 2018 for a hunt the fall of 2019.

How do you have a hunt booked with them in 2019? I didn't think they took app's until December for the following yea. Thus you'd been applying in December 2018 for a hunt the fall of 2019.

I don't have a hunt booked with them I've just talked to them and it sounds like theres a good chance to go with them. That's also why I asked if anyone new any other flight companies

I flew with 40 Mile Air on a sheep hunt. They are professional and organized. You fly with enough air taxis in AK and you'll eventually experience the other end of that spectrum. One thing to keep in mind, they're one of the bigger operations going in the fall. I flew at a time when they were also picking up / dropping off caribou and moose hunters in a couple different GMUs. They handle chaos well, just keep in mind they are busy.
Ya that's what I kind of figured that's why I was curious if theres any other airfare company that you guys know about or would recommend
Thanks

I flew with 40 mile air last year 2017 on a caribou hunt. I don't know how to post a link to it, but go down to hunting other areas, go to Alaska and you will see my write up.
Great company to fly with.

I found it that is awesome! I bet that was one of the coolest hunts! Looks like quite a bit of trees, more than I was expecting anyways.

My son and I used 40 Mile Air for a drop hunt in 2010. Can't say enough good about the pilots, staff, and hunt area they put us in.RSCN0568.jpgRSCN0567.jpg

I don't have a hunt booked with them I've just talked to them and it sounds like theres a good chance to go with them. That's also why I asked if anyone new any other flight companies
It's tough to get into their rotation. Past customers get first dibs each year. Then the flood gates open to everyone else ONLY if there are any spots open. For example, this year past customers filled all the spots and no one new could apply.

It's tough to get into their rotation. Past customers get first dibs each year. Then the flood gates open to everyone else ONLY if there are any spots open. For example, this year past customers filled all the spots and no one new could apply.

Right that's what they said to me. They told me if I call by a certain time I should be able to get on with them but I know that's no for sure deal. I take it you don't know any other credible air services to hunt the forty mile heard?

Sorry I do not.

The process is very simple with 40 mile, just extremely tough to get into their rotation.

40 Mile accepts calls from repeat customers starting on December 1 for hunts the following fall. I believe they accept calls from new customers starting on December 15 for any spots that remain available.

You could also try Jim Cummings at Golden Eagle Outfitters, he flies out of Delta Junction and runs a reputable outfit, just a lot smaller operation in that area than 40 Mile’s (they run a pretty big operation out of Kotzebue I believe). I have flown with Jim, and wouldn’t hesitate to do so again.

The reason I use 40 Mile over and over is because their setup is perfect for me. I’m a meat hunter, and if myself or my hunt partner tags an animal early in the hunt, 40 Mile picks it up and stores it in their chilled boxcar in Tok until we fly back out, which is often several days to many days later. My partner and I can continue hunting without worrying each day about keeping the animal already down cool and clean in the field.

40 Mile accepts calls from repeat customers starting on December 1 for hunts the following fall. I believe they accept calls from new customers starting on December 15 for any spots that remain available.

You could also try Jim Cummings at Golden Eagle Outfitters, he flies out of Delta Junction and runs a reputable outfit, just a lot smaller operation in that area than 40 Mile’s (they run a pretty big operation out of Kotzebue I believe). I have flown with Jim, and wouldn’t hesitate to do so again.

The reason I use 40 Mile over and over is because their setup is perfect for me. I’m a meat hunter, and if myself or my hunt partner tags an animal early in the hunt, 40 Mile picks it up and stores it in their chilled boxcar in Tok until we fly back out, which is often several days to many days later. My partner and I can continue hunting without worrying each day about keeping the animal already down cool and clean in the field.

I don't think Jim takes many/any caribou hunters anymore unless its a draw tag on the north side of the AK range. He doesn't have his 206's there to fly in/out to the 40mile area, and its pretty much just him now. The "caribou" operation is now based out of Kotzebue. Jim is usually booked a year or more out for the few slots he has.

Wrights out of Fairbanks flies all over the place. I would look into hunting the Porcupine heard, its also doing very well.

There are a number of other air taxi's in the Fairbanks to Tok areas besides 40 Mile. Just an FYI, 40 Mile has a monopoly on "their" area and are very protective of their strips, and rightfully so, but there are other options.

What do you mean theyre protective of their strips? if its theres then nobody can use it right? I guess im not following you.

Also thanks for the advice on the porcupine herd. Do you have to draw a tag to hunt that herd or is it like the 40 mile herd where you can just buy one?

What do you mean theyre protective of their strips? if its theres then nobody can use it right? I guess im not following you.

Also thanks for the advice on the porcupine herd. Do you have to draw a tag to hunt that herd or is it like the 40 mile herd where you can just buy one?

Other transporters will not use their strips our of courtesy. It takes time and lots of energy to make those bush strips. The other taxi's that fly that way don't have as many strips to chose from, so landing near where the caribou are may be difficult.

The Porcupine herd is an OTC tag, the 40-Mile herd is registration with quota/limit so it could close early. Extremely unlikely that it would, but its managed differently. Both tags are OTC, but one requires you report harvest/no harvest or face stiff fines. The other still requires reporting, but no fine. One or two of the areas where the registration tag is available can close early at times.

Back