Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Is stainless worth it?

There are a few things that you can do to prevent rust.

1) Do not buy browning blue

2) Oil your gun nightly while hunting

3) Do not store a gun in the case while hunting

4) Do not store a gun in a case while in storage

5) Solo Hunter gun cover while hunting

Really, if you are hunting in the west you do not need to worry about it as long as you take care of your rifle. If you are hunting near the coast (PNW, AK) or in a wet jungle, then that story would change. I would still protect the action (Solo Hunter Gun Cover) and oil the rifle even if it is stainless. Depending on the grade of stainless, a gun can still rust

All good advice, but especially #5. I love those Solo Hunter covers. It protects your entire rifle/scope and you can pop it off in a second when it’s time to shoot.

Is your reasoning for aesthetics only or is there an issue that I am not aware of?

Just too much shiny for me. Although I saw a 700 CDL Stainless Fluted with a silver scope that was nice looking. Not my style, that's all. mtmuley

Just too much shiny for me. Although I saw a 700 CDL Stainless Fluted with a silver scope that was nice looking. Not my style, that's all. mtmuley

SF CDL's are the bomb for looks....I can conjure a Silver scope with Walnut shoes.

I have one 'bright' Lupe on a BBZ #1...looks ok, would look better with black offsets.
7MM by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152360342@N02/, on Flickr

I hunted with a stainless rifle for 10-15 years, and then switched back to blue/walnut about 5 years ago.

My stainless never rusted, but my blued/walnut hasn't either. My blued gun has spent plenty of time in the rain too, including a week on Prince of Wales on a May bear hunt. It's going back again this May also. One good cleaning and oiling after hunting season, and it's good to go.

I MUCH prefer the feel/look of wood and blue.

I wouldn't buy another wood/blued gun ever. Stainless/synthetic is so easy to maintain....but if u don't mind the maintenance and or the look go with blued

I have a model 70 extreme weather 7mm, by far the best rifle I've ever bought. Easy to care for, and is deadly accurate! It's been on two horseback moose hunts in northern BC, snow, rain, in a scabert. I'd never buy another blued gun!

Back