6 points in wyoming, unsure what to do

Perhaps I am missing something (I hope I am). You've helped me in the past.
I look at the non resident cow/calve type 6 tags and see that the first 20 units have more 1st choice apps than tags. Actually most of the unit do.
I look at the random non resident and see the same scenario 90% of units drawn out with many 1st choice apps being left out in the cold.
Please explain how the odds are better than what I am seeing. I'd like a tag. :)

You're right to a certain degree. Cow tags are definitely getting tougher to draw but they still have decent draw odds in a lot of units.

I don't know what you're looking at because you can see below that the first two units had 32 and 176 tags and there were only 5 and 34 first choice applicants. There are many units like that and if you then look in the leftover draw there were still tags left in a lot of units that then went first come first serve. The unit I hunt didn't sell out of Type 6 tags until right before the season started.

Demand Report - Non-Resident Cow/Calf Elk State of Wyoming Date: 2/27/2017
Nonresident Draw Wyoming Game and Fish Time: 11:25:37 AM
Fiscal Division Page: 1
Hunt Hunt Total First Choice Second Choice Third Choice
Area Type Description Quota Applicants Applicants Applicants
---- ---- ----------------------- ----- ------------- ------------- -------------
003 6 COW OR CALF 32 5 1 0
006 6 COW OR CALF 176 34 10 0
007 6 COW OR CALF 288 493 18 0
008 6 COW OR CALF 16 21 1 0
009 6 COW OR CALF 24 25 21 0
010 6 COW OR CALF 32 74 11 0
011 6 COW OR CALF 8 6 9 0
012 6 COW OR CALF 24 71 13 0
012 7 COW OR CALF 12 21 5 0
013 6 COW OR CALF 16 62 30 0

Last edited:
TG, unfortunately we're on the same page. Look at the stats you posted. Only 3 of the first 10 had tags after the first choice. And 1 of those was by 1 tag. So essentially 80% were drawn as first choice with others not getting their first choice from this small sample. Of those not drawn, access is probably extremely poor.

Maybe you can explain this to me:
I see there were 493 1st choice in unit 7 all vying for 288 tags. Who or what are the 152 tags available in the leftover draw in this same unit that 791 folks are applying for...? :confused:

I really feel like a guy kind of has his head up his ass the first few days or even week in a brand new unit.
Amen brother!!
...I may print this out and use it as mental preparation for my hunt this year...a week long...with no scouting :)

I also agree with Flatrock's statement. A non-res can only do so much research behind a keyboard & over the phone, but I've been relatively successful in figuring out a lot of things pre-boot to the ground. However, nothing beats real boots on the ground.

Now to get the tags. Can someone explain post #24?

Maybe you can explain this to me:
I see there were 493 1st choice in unit 7 all vying for 288 tags. Who or what are the 152 tags available in the leftover draw in this same unit that 791 folks are applying for...? :confused:

Those would be tags that were leftover from the resident draw. Obviously all the NR tags were drawn but not all the resident tags were.

ok, so if I were to put in for a tag with zero tags left over for a NONresident (and did not draw my first choice), but there were some available for residents, do they go to the next in line NON residents in the same drawing?
Thanks for your patience and explanations.

ok, so if I were to put in for a tag with zero tags left over for a NONresident (and did not draw my first choice), but there were some available for residents, do they go to the next in line NON residents in the same drawing?
Thanks for your patience and explanations.
the NR draw is In February and R draw later. So if there are tags leftover for R draw u then would have to draw that tag in the leftover draw which I think is mid summer.I think I’m right on this? Someone correct me if not!

Do you put in for the 2nd draw on the first app. draw? I assume so...

You're way overthinking this entire draw situation! I'm not going to argue with you about NR cow/calf tags, but you are wrong. Like I said earlier, there are a ton of tags that go in the initial draw to other than first choices, as well as the second draw, and then there are a lot of leftovers that go on a first come first serve basis. If you can't see that looking at the stats on the site like I mentioned I don't know what else to say! He was correct in regards to your question about all those tags offered in the second draw during the summer. The resident draw is months after the early NR draw and that's where those tags came from when the second draw announcement was posted. No you don't put in for the second draw during the initial application period for NRs in January because nobody, including the G&F, has any idea what will be left after the draws. You have to wait until after the resident draw in June and everything is then complied by the G&F to put out the list of what's still available for the second draw and then you apply for that draw during the short open window they give you.

Last edited:
Easy TG. lol- you've been helpful to this point, don't ruin it. :p
I was not wrong in any of my statements. And where I was unsure, I've been asking questions. In reference to my last question, I did not know if you listed on the initial drawing if you wanted to be included in a 2nd drawing based on one's choices not drawn. I do understand now and thank you for explaining this. No further schooling is needed. Thanks to all.

Her you go, I hope this helps. It really should not be that hard to understand, but it is...thank you WY game a fish... :)

[video=youtube;YVIhSwSuDpA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVIhSwSuDpA[/video]

I'm confused by the cow tag conversation. Can somebody tell me if it is the same/similar as the antelope doe/fawn draw? I'm somewhat familiar with that.

Another video

[video=youtube;lDKG0W9vWgA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDKG0W9vWgA[/video]

I'm confused by the cow tag conversation. Can somebody tell me if it is the same/similar as the antelope doe/fawn draw? I'm somewhat familiar with that.

Here's the timeline for the elk draw.

1. NR cow/calf draw in February.
2. R cow/calf draw in summer. June I believe.
3. Whatever cow/calf tags are leftover after those draws, they go into a leftover draw. NR and R go in together and there is no differentiation between the 2.
4. Any tags that are leftover after the leftover draw are available on a first come/first serve basis.

For the antelope draw, the NR and R draws are held at about the same time and I THINK that they do the resident draw first. If there are any tags leftover from that draw, they are put into the NR pool. Then whatever tags are leftover after that, they go into the leftover draw. Not 100% on that though.

The draws for cow/calf, as well as doe/fawn deer and doe/fawn antelope are all handled the same way. The only difference is that the first elk draw is done in February after the early January application period for it. Then the second draw is held during the summer along with the deer and antelope second draws with the initial draw for the latter two being in June.

Here's the timeline for the elk draw.

1. NR cow/calf draw in February.
2. R cow/calf draw in summer. June I believe.
3. Whatever cow/calf tags are leftover after those draws, they go into a leftover draw. NR and R go in together and there is no differentiation between the 2.
4. Any tags that are leftover after the leftover draw are available on a first come/first serve basis.

For the antelope draw, the NR and R draws are held at about the same time and I THINK that they do the resident draw first. If there are any tags leftover from that draw, they are put into the NR pool. Then whatever tags are leftover after that, they go into the leftover draw. Not 100% on that though.

I think you missed a step between 2 and 3. Unless I'm mistaken, after the resident draw, all leftovers go to NR's who applied unsuccessfully in the initial draw. THEN, if there are any left over still, they go into the leftover draw where NR's and R's can apply. This is not at all obvious by looking at the WYG&F website. I was confused on this a while back (regarding antelope leftovers), then someone corrected me.

Last edited:
Back