MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Leupold vs Vortex

WildWill

So I got a new rifle for Christmas a Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 and I'm in the market for a new scope. All of my other rifles are topped with Leupold scopes and I've always used Leupold for all my optics for about a decade. But last March I bought a pair of vortex binos and my brother got a vortex diamond back scope for his 308. I've been extremely impressed with both of them quality glass with the best warranty in the business but I've never had a complaint about my Leupolds either. I went scope shopping today and found a Leupold 3x9 50mm and a vortex 4x12 50mm there was only a 10 dollar difference in price between the two. I know this is a big Leupold site so I may already know the answer but my question is if it was your rifle which would you choose?

Leupold rifleman 3x9 50mm and the vortex diamondback 3.5x10 50mm it's not a 4x12 my mistake

I own several Leupold and Vortex scopes. Specifically, I own 2 Viper HSLR4-16x44 and a plethora of Leupy's with my latest being a vx3i 4-14x40 CDS-SF. I'll compare those scopes as they list for similar price ranges. The Vortex is a great scope, clear glass- even at low light, and it doesn't lose zero on my heavy-recoiling Tikka. Now, my VX3i- it's a Leupold. It's rugged, dependable, crisp, and qualtiy optic. I notice two things that tip the hand to Leupold in my opinion: 1. I prefer the reticles in the Leupold scopes. I find my Vortex reticle to be too thin/faint in certain lighting conditions, while the Leupold is about perfect. 2. In shooting situations where your target is in the same direction as the sun in early morning or late evening, the Leupold beats the Vortex hands down in clarity. Vortex makes a good product, but if I look for the right deal, I can usually find a comparable Leupold for a similar price (especially if you buy from Schmalts on this site).

As for the warranty- I can't figure this out... As far as I can tell, and in every experience I've had, Leupold's warranty is just as good as Vortex. I think the latter does a better job of marketing it. Anyhow, that's my take on Leupold vs. Vortex. Have them both, like them both, but the win goes to Leupold as to slightly higher quality when comparing similar models, IMHO.

I have both and prefer the Leupold. Both should do the job and will get you back on the road if you need warranty service. If you decide to go with Leupold give Schmalt from this site and Predator optics a call and I bet he will be able to give you a great deal on a Leupold scope.

I have/had both and like them both. I also had to use both warranties. I would say Vortex has a better warranty, but Leupold has better quality. Also, now that I have set my rifles up with the CDS systems, I see very little Vortex in my future. Just my $0.02.

I own them both, no more vortex for me. Its a great warranty but on all three pieces I have they have all been in for repair. I have around nine leupold products that have bever been sent in for work. Leupold has a great warranty that you'll probably never need, they're just a better built optic imo.

Last edited:
I'm usually a Vortex guy.
With that said i'm really NOT impressed with the Diamondback line!
The Crossfire II has better glass for $100 less.

And i have both to compare side by side. When i addressed this to Vortex directly, they just sent me a link to Youtube, and exclaimed what great scopes they make.

Get the Leupold and don't look back!

Leupold all the way. Go with the company that makes product here if you are comparing the two.

Thanks for the responses guys. I headed back to the store today to get a scope still hadn't made my mind up. When I got there they had sold out of the Vortex diamondbacks that were on sale. So I got the Leupold I've never been let down by them yet so I know I'll be happy with it.20180107_161746.jpg

Did you go with the Rifleman which you described earlier in the thread or another model. Either way I think you will be happy with it's performance. Have fun with your new purchase. Let us know how the new rifle shoots.

Both are quality outfits. I will never again purchase a Leupold product again, however, due to their lack of customer service. You can search threads on here for more info and to see who picked what side.

I believe to to simply be a matter of taste/preference.....I have a Viper on my rig and a Crossfire on HPs. I prefer the sight picture I get vs similarly priced scopes and absolutely LOVE my Viper. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

Both are quality outfits. I will never again purchase a Leupold product again, however, due to their lack of customer service. You can search threads on here for more info and to see who picked what side.

Not a matter of "picking sides". mtmuley

Did you go with the Rifleman which you described earlier in the thread or another model. Either way I think you will be happy with it's performance. Have fun with your new purchase. Let us know how the new rifle shoots.

Yes I got the Rifleman and at 169.99 it was a deal I couldn't pass up. They had a nice vx1 3x9 40mm for the same price that I considered too but I really prefer 50mm on my hunting rifles.20180107_173901.jpg

I got good groups with my my Vortex at 200 yards, but I never knew where the groups would be. I finally replaced it with my old standby VX1 3-9x and got bullets to land in the same spot more than two times in a row.

Attachments

• 32960D72-21B6-4C7C-A33C-1B54EC34545A.jpg
    32960D72-21B6-4C7C-A33C-1B54EC34545A.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 3,883
They're comparable companies. Both with glass fitting the $. More $, better glass.
I have my vortex nocs and Leopold scope. Both are great. Personal preference, imo.

I love my Vortex Viper 10x42 binos, but I spent $200 in ammo, gas, and gunsmith time trying figure why the hell my gun couldn’t shoot.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back