Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle Accuracy

Although I must say that H.S Precision in 300 Win Mag would be hard to beat for an all around, do it all, rifle in North America.

Not for sale. I saw you coveting such when we were deer hunting in November. On second thought, everything can be had for a price.

Glad to see it's going to stay in your closet for a while. Gareth's rifle fund has been growing for the past year and a half. I asked him what he is getting when he has enough saved up and he said a Howa. As happy as he was to shoot his buck, I think he was a bit jealous that Timothy got to kill his deer with your rifle. :)

Matt, nice looking rifles in your catalog. If you can give an update in awhile, or now, I'm curious how your PRS style rifles do for you. I have 3 sons (and myself sometimes) who shoot in the PNW club series of PRS. I'm glad to see manufacturers coming out with more rifles of this type. There seems to be a steadily growing number of shooters and I'm just curious how this segment works for Howa. Also, is that flag painted APC a factory Howa option or custom?

I'm sad to hear the Alpine Mountain Rifle is being discontinued. Frankly, it was the only thing in the Howa lineup that held any appeal to me and I'd kind of hoped they might eventually come out with a long action version. I'm just one guy, but if I could make a recommendation, I'd offer the Alpine mountain barreled action for sale. Even if it wasn't weather-proofed, it would be a sweet action for folks looking to build a mountain rifle (or a youth rifle). Everything else in the Howa lineup is just too durn heavy!

Matt, nice looking rifles in your catalog. If you can give an update in awhile, or now, I'm curious how your PRS style rifles do for you. I have 3 sons (and myself sometimes) who shoot in the PNW club series of PRS. I'm glad to see manufacturers coming out with more rifles of this type. There seems to be a steadily growing number of shooters and I'm just curious how this segment works for Howa. Also, is that flag painted APC a factory Howa option or custom?

great questions!

1. all of the howa heavy barreled rifles perform awesome. i have used quite a few in various calibers, chassis and stocks are easy to come by. The new Howa Bravo is probably my favorite offering thus far, I have the 6mm creedmoor initial samples in hand and will be testing those in a bravo in the coming weeks, this will be a killer option for matches. The HCR is getting a lot of use/attention in the match world and fits the bill very well.
[video=youtube;HKdsx5rOk0A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKdsx5rOk0A&t=[/video]
howa bravo vvvvvv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YodSm5-CcQ&t=
howa apc-flag riflevvvvv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HbnI3MNvrY

2. the apc in american flag is a limited edition run and is only available as a complete kit, and all of these are considered howa "factory" rifles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZiSS2WtJMA&t

Last edited:
I'm sad to hear the Alpine Mountain Rifle is being discontinued. Frankly, it was the only thing in the Howa lineup that held any appeal to me and I'd kind of hoped they might eventually come out with a long action version. I'm just one guy, but if I could make a recommendation, I'd offer the Alpine mountain barreled action for sale. Even if it wasn't weather-proofed, it would be a sweet action for folks looking to build a mountain rifle (or a youth rifle). Everything else in the Howa lineup is just too durn heavy!

Agree with all the above. The long action would of been a plus. But Id love to see the barreled action with cerakote available. Then you could drop it in a McMillion Edge stock or whatever you'd like.

Time to call around and see of any of the gun shops in town have access to an Apline Mountain Rifle before its too late.

The non-Cerakoted version of the barreled action is available. Look at any of the models that have the 20" #1 barrel, excluding the Minis. It is available as just the barreled action but you'll likely pay as much or more as one with a stock.

The non-Cerakoted version of the barreled action is available. Look at any of the models that have the 20" #1 barrel, excluding the Minis. It is available as just the barreled action but you'll likely pay as much or more as one with a stock.

Is that true? If so, that's good to know, though it raises another issue: the relative cost of barreled actions as compared with finished rifles. That's not specific to Howa though...

Are you asking me if it's true? The barreled actions below look a lot alike. Brownells shows blued lightweight barreled actions for $434 and Cerakoted for $532. Add a McMillan EDGE for about $650 and you're in the ballpark of the $1070 Sportsman's Warehouse shows for the Alpine. With a stock pattern you can pick as well as length of pull.

Howa_Ranchland_Black_High_Res-1024x350.jpg

Howa_Alpine_Mountain_High_Res-1024x350.jpg

Howa_Youth_FoxWood_Hero_Image.jpg

Are you asking me if it's true? The barreled actions below look a lot alike. Brownells shows blued lightweight barreled actions for $434 and Cerakoted for $532. Add a McMillan EDGE for about $650 and you're in the ballpark of the $1070 Sportsman's Warehouse shows for the Alpine. With a stock pattern you can pick as well as length of pull.

View attachment 78798

View attachment 78799

View attachment 78800

I guess I was thinking someone might confirm, but it does look like you're right. That's good to know. Thank you!

Guess I waited too long also. Why was it discontinued.? thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back