Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle Accuracy

CaseyM

I'm so close to finalizing my decision to buy an Alpine Mountain Rifle but I'm interested in seeing some accuracy targets. Whos got some some proof?!

Pretty sure Randy posted a range test of this rifle here awhile back. mtmuley

The rifle isn't in the 2018 lineup so I'd pick one up quick. Great rifle.

I bought one and I personally have had a hard time getting it dialed in, but there again it's partly the shooter too I think. I love the look of it, I love the weight of it. I have a Leopold scope on it as well :) I plan on spending more time this year again trying to get it dialed in. Randy did reply once saying his was a tack driver, but I did not ask how long it took to get it to that point. I'm hoping it's just me, but I really did not think it would be this hard to get it dialed in. Would not get rid of it though.

All new rifles will shoot great at common hunting distances. The only things that affect accuracy are the shooter and the bullet/load that the rifle is shooting. If a gun doesn't shoot, change the load or practice.

Watch the most recent (I think) Fresh Tracks Nevada mule deer hunt with Mike Spitzer. He dropped a mule deer at something like 450 yards. Perfect shot.

Randy has said over and over that his rifle can outperform his shooting and I believe him (no offense). I've seen Randy's target pictures. Was just hoping others had pictures too.

Howa Alpine 6.5 man bun I picked up from another member. This group is one of many. Buy one if you can.

C720C643-27D0-43DD-9D1C-8337414A3FB4.jpg

Matt or Randy. Is Howa taking the Alpine Mountian Rifle out of the line up?

I just bought the package gun in 7mm-08 on 12/28, took a while to ship but I made it out to the range for barrel break in this weekend. Mine shoots great, just my feeling after shooting 20rds through it for barrel break in. Even with a freshly clean bore, the last 10 shots went into about a 2" group, most shots were touching. I haven't had a chance to shoot actual groups with a fouled bore.

Would be a shame if Howa took these rifles out of production. Mostly all I see in stock anywhere are in .243, less interesting than 7mm-08, .308 or 6.5 man bun.

2016 was first year I hunted with my Howa Alpine. used 180g Trophy bonded tips. was just about an 1" MOA. I knew I could do better so I switched to 165g Trophy bonded tips this year. I was very happy with the results. I love this rifle and my only complaint is the safety isn't as nice as a Kimber/sako/Remington/LAW. but it does work. trigger is very nice. here is my proof. top group is my first 3 shot group. shot in bullseye is adjusting for elevation. the two shots to the right are from my Dad's 30-06target.jpg

forgot to say, the above group was shot back to back with only about 10-20 seconds between shots. not bad for a light contour barrel and shooting prone off sandbags made from old blue jeans. also my first time shooting prone ever. I think it could shoot better with a good shooting bench and rest.

Good thing I bought one while I could.

I reload but was hoping to use Hornady Superformance GMX in it. It grouped absolutely terribly for the 3 rounds I shot. I'll have to do more testing, but has anyone else used this ammo in their Howa Alpine Mountain?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back