Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Any new fitness goals for the 2018 season?

Come join me. I can see it from my house. I want to know what the view looks like from the top.
Good on you living in the Madison Valley. The Sphinx and Helmet are a worthwhile trek (awesome views of your house for sure) ... don't forget your bear spray. We have a photo of a nice cinnamon-colored bear from our hike. 'Think it was a black bear, but it was minding its own business browsing so just snapped a quick photo and departed the area.

Going to try to get in good enough shape to run 10 miles through a Tough Mudder this summer. We'll see if it'll result in me being in the best shape of my life or ending up in a wheel chair for this year's hunting season.

I'm pushing to see if I can handle the Ridge Run this year. I've done it 4 times (last time in 2004), but with a new career (2005), then a bulging disk, then kids - needless to say I'm not in the best shape.

The sign-up / lottery is May 6 - so my goal is to keep working at it and hope to feel ready by then (run is in August). I'd like to surprise a good friend of mine that went through some crazy health issues (and surprise me too).

Going to try to get in good enough shape to run 10 miles through a Tough Mudder this summer. We'll see if it'll result in me being in the best shape of my life or ending up in a wheel chair for this year's hunting season.

Tough Mudders aren't that bad....there are so many obstacles and waiting in line to go through them that it you don't end up running more then 3/4 a mile at a time at the most. They are fun but I could do without getting shocked by wires while crawling through the mud!!!

I've done a couple Spartan Races up at Bigfork, MT. They are similar to Tough Mudder. Embrace the suck! If you have the want to finish then they are a piece of cake plus someone will almost always offer help. Those types of "races" are always filled with good people.

65lbs lost as of this morning. Damn I miss destroying most of a pizza after a night of beers (I still sneak a piece when offered just not like I used to)!
Being fit enough to ski and hike in the winter is having a positive impact on my social life as well...skiing = hot springs after.

Awesome job, Grant! I wish I was going to be in bear camp this spring to put on some miles with you. Archery elk?

Been back on a steady diet of no sweets, and I catalog everything I eat in the My Fitness Pal app. Helps a ton. I really only need to lose like 10 lbs. I try to stay in shape do to my job and my family health history. I strength train 3 nights a week but I am going to pick up the cardio as soon as my new shoes get here. I also hate burpees, but have found that if you do it to music, then it is a little more motivating. For the burpee haters (like me) try the songs Thunderstruck, Roxanne, and Beat It (Michael Jackson). Every time you here Thurnder or Thunderstruck its a burpee, Roxanne is also a burpee every time and every time you hear Beat It, that is a burpee. Its around 100 burpees if you get them all in. Killer workout by itself! All this will be happening on a rotational bases for me.

Ok curently I'm reping around 115200 heart reps a day. I plan on keeping that going until hunting season, even then I hope to keep my reps up.
I'm also currently taking in aprox 16 breaths a min. doing that 24 hours a day for a total breath count of 23040 breaths each day. I've also been blinking my eyes about 17 times a min. and keeping that up for about 17 hours a day for a total blink of around 17340. Planning on keeping this up indefinitely.

npaden- Good luck. I remember when you started running. I think you got me started on runkeeper! I was running a lot at the time. I logged some serious miles in those days. I ran Boston in 2011. I haven't run much since 2015. Tore my meniscus on 2015 elk hunt . This was the first body part that betrayed me!

I plan on getting back to running soon. My best days are behind me. If I can run 15-20 per week, I will be happy! Keep up the good work and I will be living vicariously through your Boston exploits. If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up. One of the best races I have ever ran.

Been back on a steady diet of no sweets, and I catalog everything I eat in the My Fitness Pal app. Helps a ton. I really only need to lose like 10 lbs. I try to stay in shape do to my job and my family health history. I strength train 3 nights a week but I am going to pick up the cardio as soon as my new shoes get here. I also hate burpees, but have found that if you do it to music, then it is a little more motivating. For the burpee haters (like me) try the songs Thunderstruck, Roxanne, and Beat It (Michael Jackson). Every time you here Thurnder or Thunderstruck its a burpee, Roxanne is also a burpee every time and every time you hear Beat It, that is a burpee. Its around 100 burpees if you get them all in. Killer workout by itself! All this will be happening on a rotational bases for me.

amazing how well thunderstruck (and burn it to the ground) work.

Progress reports?

I'm down nearly 70lbs total since June 2017. It could be more but I've been spending a lot of time socializing and skiing which leads to hot springs and more socializing.

I hurt my back in a foolish Crossfit AMRAP (as many reps as possible) of power snatch lifts and resistance band pullups (I'm still not strong enough to get them without help) so I've been demoted to strictly light cardio as instructed by my PT friends. Purchased a set of BC crosscountry skis which should be useful up until bear opener.

So how did the marathon go?

I have just started to get back into running, and now that I have drawn my Montana tag I will factor in some long walks with a weighted pack, coupled with push up's/sit up's I think I will be ok.
I have never run a marathon, but I just watched the London and was tempted to apply next year, but this year 360,000 applied and only 41,000 were entered, I can only hope I get a wildcard entry through my running club if I decided to try it.
Never run a marathon, just 1/2 marathons.

Cheers

Richard
My goal last year was to qualify for the Boston Marathon and this year I will be running it.

Still can't really decide if I want to run it easy and enjoy the course and the spectators or if I want to try to push myself and try to run another qualifying time.

I'm training hard enough that I should be able to run another qualifying time if I want to.

Ok ladies. BHA is having it's annual Hike to Hunt Challenge http://www.mapmyfitness.com/challenges/bhahiketohunt/. I see some of you are already on the participant list and holy crap these guys are getting after it!

Update on goals: Down 100lbs since Memorial Day 2017. It's taken a lot of time to lose the last few pounds due to a combination of losing my coach and an extremely painful skiing accident that wrecked my mobility for about 2 months. Plus I slacked off a lot in May and ate too much pizza and tacos. Getting after it now with a lot of cardio and will be transitioning back into the gym soon. I can tell I'm losing mobility and upper body strength from slacking on my workouts and that needs to change. My typical day is a 4mile trail run with about 800 feet elevation gain that occurs in 2 large hills. I've peeled about 4 minutes of my trail mile and hover at sub 12:00 pace which the fit guys say is a good pace and I should be adding distance. I don't think I'd enjoy "running" on flat ground so I have no idea what my pace would be. We signed up for the 2019 MT Spartan Race Beast (half marathon obstacle course).

So how did the marathon go?

Cheers

Richard

Sorry, I missed this until Mthuntr just bumped this back up.

The Boston Marathon went great. It was cold and rainy and we ran into a headwind pretty much the whole way but really it wasn't that bad.

I ran a 3:28:15, an average pace of 7:57 per mile. That was good for 7,443rd place! LOL.

I was pretty happy with it though, that was fast enough to technically qualify for next year (I needed to run a 3:30), but the way it has been going you need to beat the qualifying time by 2 or 3 minutes to actually get in. I enjoyed it but not something I can do every year since I'm a C.P.A. that is a pretty busy time of year for me.

I think I would like to run it in 2025 when it is on my birthday so that gives me a long term plan to stay in decent enough shape to be able to qualify for it 7 years from now.

I'm still trying to figure out my next short term goal. One that I'm thinking about that would be a pretty good challenge would be to run a half marathon fast enough to use it as a qualifier for the New York City Marathon. For my age group that would be a 1:32 which would be just under a 7:00 pace. That would be a 4 minute PR for me so about the only chance would be doing it on a downhill course.

Ok ladies. BHA is having it's annual Hike to Hunt Challenge http://www.mapmyfitness.com/challenges/bhahiketohunt/. I see some of you are already on the participant list and holy crap these guys are getting after it!

Update on goals: Down 100lbs since Memorial Day 2017. It's taken a lot of time to lose the last few pounds due to a combination of losing my coach and an extremely painful skiing accident that wrecked my mobility for about 2 months. Plus I slacked off a lot in May and ate too much pizza and tacos. Getting after it now with a lot of cardio and will be transitioning back into the gym soon. I can tell I'm losing mobility and upper body strength from slacking on my workouts and that needs to change. My typical day is a 4mile trail run with about 800 feet elevation gain that occurs in 2 large hills. I've peeled about 4 minutes of my trail mile and hover at sub 12:00 pace which the fit guys say is a good pace and I should be adding distance. I don't think I'd enjoy "running" on flat ground so I have no idea what my pace would be. We signed up for the 2019 MT Spartan Race Beast (half marathon obstacle course).

Mthuntr, 100 pounds is AWESOME!! Great job on sticking with it. Avoiding the gain after you get where you want is tough, but after a while your bodies metabolism should be it sorted out so it isn't so hard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back