PEAX Equipment

Any new fitness goals for the 2018 season?

Better you than me...Burpees suck. they are the most irritating exercise anyone ever came up with. Had to do some of them when I ran a spartan race last summer:W: Certainly would not be my first choice as an exercise.

They suck but they work! I run/lift before work, then do the burpees in the evening. I have already been noticing an increase in my endurance and strength in the morning.

55.3 miles for this first week of 2018. 11,247.7 miles since I started my original goal in 2011 of being able to run 6 miles in 60 minutes.

I had a great beginning in 2017 with my BQ, but ended up with my fewest miles running since 2012. My tentative goal for 2018 is 2,020 miles which would be my best ever by a whopping 1 mile.

2018 55.3 mi
2017 1773.2 mi
2016 2019.1 mi
2015 1912.7 mi
2014 1851.3 mi
2013 2016.6 mi
2012 1357.3 mi
2011 262.3 mi

That's amazing. I started running last year with a simple goal of 500 miles before turning 50, and ended up logging 820 by my Nov 4th marathon, which didn't include treadmill miles or any walking. I took a break after finishing the marathon and haven't done much since, and have gained almost 10 lbs! Maybe me looking at your numbers will get me motivated again.

Thanks for the comments on my miles. It helps me not weigh 500 pounds if nothing else!

I post on a running site as well, my numbers aren't very impressive there. There are lots of folks logging 100+ mile weeks!

For as much as I run I really haven't gotten that much faster but at 49 I did set new personal records in both the half marathon and the marathon.

Not sure if I have any more records in me, maybe I can beat my half marathon PR of 1:36:13 this year, I think that's my softest one.

npaden, I'm glad I logged every single mile last year after reading your log. Definitely motivated me. I've lost around 5-6 weeks to laziness after initially recovering for 2 weeks in Nov. I'm putting my running shoes back on right now for my first '18 run and will start knocking out the miles again. Once I get started, I'll keep it up, it's just the getting started part that's hard.

I lost 35lbs over the first year we moved to Helena. When you are a flatlander, you don't have much of a choice here :)

Over the next year I worked on endurance and a little strength. I'm currently spending this year working on strength, while not putting the weight back on. I mix in a lot of interval elliptical workouts and burpees in with lifting. September will be here soon!

Continuing with 5/3/1 barbell program, rucking, sprints, running hills and playing hockey.

The only thing I care to change at this point is my diet. Time to dial back on the sweets a bit, and keep up with the lean game meat and veggies.

How's everyone doing on their goals so far?

I ended up with 224.5 miles for January and have 13.6 miles so far in February. 24 miles planned this weekend with a 16 miler Sunday.

72 days until Boston for me!

Iv'e hit an all time low for 10 years. Gained 15 pounds since Thanksgiving and am lucky to get out and run a 3 mile trail run once a week. Man boobs are out of control, I disgust myself.

How's everyone doing on their goals so far?

I ended up with 224.5 miles for January and have 13.6 miles so far in February. 24 miles planned this weekend with a 16 miler Sunday.

72 days until Boston for me!

How old are you? Crazy miles. My motivation is tanking. Maybe turning 52 that low T crap has some merit.

How old are you? Crazy miles. My motivation is tanking. Maybe turning 52 that low T crap has some merit.

I'll turn 50 in April so not too far behind you.

Having something to motivate you is for sure a key for me. I use all kinds of tricks but in the end you just need to get out there and do it whether you really want to or not. I listen to audio books while I run and that helps me look forward to it a little more if I'm in the middle of a good book. Having a training plan that tells me what I'm supposed to do every day helps too. I find keeping a streak going helps me as well. Right now I'm on a mini streak of 35 days and 256.5 miles.

Down 62 pounds since the close of spring bear. Aiming for another 60 then I'll just be big. Blood pressure ideal and heart rate below average.

Hoping to be a sexy as Cushman for bear camp

Last edited:
My goal, take the next breath....
Waking up tomorrow will be icing on the cake.

You have a finite number of heartbeats in your lifetime .
You raise your beats per minute exercising, and that just gets
You closer to death, faster...

I'm assuming the finite number of heartbeats comment was tongue in cheek, but I've actually heard some folks really believe that.

Generally speaking, someone who exercises regularly will have fewer heartbeats in a day that someone who doesn't.

Before I started exercising regularly my resting heart rate was somewhere between 65 and 70 beats per minute. Let's take the low end of that and say 65 x 60 minutes x 24 hours in a day. That's 93,600 heart beats.

Now that I exercise regularly my resting heart rate is 55 beats per minute. That's 3,300 beats in an hour. I typically exercise about 1 hour a day on average. On my easy days my heart rate doesn't even hit 140 but if I'm working hard it can get up to 170 maybe even 180. Let's say 160 on average for that hour. That's 9,600 beats in that hour. Almost triple what it beats while I'm at rest. If you add up the 23 hours at rest plus the 9,600 during exercise that gets you to 85,500 beats in a day with the 1 hour of exercise.

And that's if you exercise 1 hour every day. Most folks don't exercise every day so they will have even fewer heart beats on those days.

The difference is actually more than that simple calculation shows because when I actually do exert myself now my heart can handle it way better. The entire reason I started exercising was because my heart was about to pound out of my chest when I was out hiking in the mountains, now my heart rate barely goes up on a hike in the mountains. This is true on everything from walking up a set of stairs to loading a 50 pound bag of dog food in the truck.

With that said I don't believe that you have a finite number of heart beats even though I can show that you end up with fewer heart beats per day if you do exercise instead of the opposite.

There have been LOTS of studies that show that regular exercise does indeed improve your odds of living a longer life although that's still not why I exercise.

My main reason is that I just feel a lot better and I don't feel like I'm about to have a heart attack anymore when I'm humping up and down the mountains hunting.

Oh well, I very long winded response to what was probably a tongue in check comment, but I thought it was interesting to do the math on it.

My 2 cents. Nathan

I don't have any fitness goals other than spend more time at the gym. January was good; 27 days of both lifting and cario. Added 7,600 situps off a med ball and 7,500 push ups. I hit 50 this year and it would be cool to bench 315 before then. I think it is within reach. I plan to keep drinking beer.

That's great on the situps and pushups! I keep meaning to get into a routine doing those but can't seem to get it going.

Um yeah Nathan,
Main Entry: humor
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: comedy, funniness
Synonyms: amusement, badinage, banter, buffoonery, clowning, comicality, comicalness, drollery, facetiousness, farce, flippancy, fun, gag, gaiety, happiness, high spirits, jest, jesting, jocoseness, jocosity, jocularity, joke, joking, joyfulness, kidding, levity, lightness, playfulness, pleasantry, raillery, tomfoolery, whimsy, wisecrack, wit, witticism, wittiness

Keep it up npaden! I'm no where near your level but i just had a set back. I was at 2 miles a day but I ended up tearing up my shoulder doing shoulder presses. Now I'm doing physical therapy trying to avoid surgery instead of my routine. Good luck with your goals!

The last 24 months have been rough. Stress from work/family life led to some pretty severe anxiety issues that essentially derailed my fitness aspirations. I was up 45 pounds from 2014.

As my health has improved between my ears I've been able to regain focus and motivation to take care of the rest of myself. From an exercise standpoint I'm not where I need to be yet, but I'm doing 15-20 minutes of yoga to start my day most mornings (I need to improve my flexibility as well as my core strength). I've also started some kettlebell routines a couple evenings per week. As it gets a little warmer out up here on the tundra, I will start running again and have the goal to be doing sub 50 minute 10k's by mid summer.

BUT, all the exercise in the world wasn't going to help me until I addressed my diet. As I worked during the day I seemed to always have something in my mouth... chips, beef jerky, twizzlers. And I was drinking a ridiculous amount of soda to wash down all of that junk. Then I'd usually have lunch at a nearby fast food joint. I've been able to cut out 99% of my snacking and I have brought my own lunch from home every day for the last 6 weeks or so. I am drinking a lot of water during the day and have probably cut 500-700 calories every day just in fluids. I allow myself to eat whatever on Saturdays, but I've found that over time, my desire to binge on crap on the weekend has diminished as well.

I don't weigh myself often, this has resulted in some weight loss (5-7 pounds probably). But I can tell my body feels worlds better after giving up all that sugar. I had bad knee and hip pain... all gone. In fact, my joints felt better within 48 hours of giving up soda.

This week will be a bit test to my routines as I am traveling on business. If I can make it through the next 3 days without completely falling off the wagon, I'll be in good shape (pun intended).

Back