Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD 15x56

kestump

I am researching/comparing 15’s with the intent to buy a pair in the near future. Was curious if anyone has gained experience with the Leupolds, or had a chance to look through them, or could point me in the direction of a good review of them? Thanks!

I've used them for all of 2017. Very nice. Obviously, they need to be used on a tripod.

Thanks for the info guys. Randy, can you confirm that they are threaded for use with a screw in type tripod adapter, and don't just come with the strap on adapter?

Thanks for the info guys. Randy, can you confirm that they are threaded for use with a screw in type tripod adapter, and don't just come with the strap on adapter?

They are not threaded for a screw in type adapter. Or, at least mine are not.

I have been looking at them pretty heavily as well, there are some threads over on rokslide also fyi. I have heard people confirm both with and without the treaded tripod adapter, so I wonder if some early release models didn't have it?? Haven't got to put my hands on them myself. I'm trying to decide if they could replace a spotter, at least for spotting game. I know I would much rather look with both eyes vs just one.

I'd love to compare them side by side with Swaro 15x56... Hopefully Leupold has put together a package that can compete with alpha glass.

I have been looking at them pretty heavily as well, there are some threads over on rokslide also fyi. I have heard people confirm both with and without the treaded tripod adapter, so I wonder if some early release models didn't have it?? Haven't got to put my hands on them myself. I'm trying to decide if they could replace a spotter, at least for spotting game. I know I would much rather look with both eyes vs just one.

I purchased a used set of the Meopta's based on some of the info available over on Rokslide. They're still on their way to me, but I would still like to compare them to the Leupold's if I can ever find a pair to look through. Pretty hard to find anyone that has them in stock locally. I bet your guess on the threaded tripod adapter is correct.

I purchased a used set of the Meopta's based on some of the info available over on Rokslide. They're still on their way to me, but I would still like to compare them to the Leupold's if I can ever find a pair to look through. Pretty hard to find anyone that has them in stock locally. I bet your guess on the threaded tripod adapter is correct.

No doubt you will like the meoptas. I have only looked through their 10x binos but they were right on par with my zeiss. Great piece of glass!! I have a coupon to use up with leupold so would like to go through them, might end up upgrading to a new gold ring spotter instead. Too many good choices in todays optics world!!

I find that hard to believe any came without the threaded hinge for a tripod adapter, Maybe some guys don't know you have to unscrew the cap that covers the hole....

I find that hard to believe any came without the threaded hinge for a tripod adapter, Maybe some guys don't know you have to unscrew the cap that covers the hole....

I would agree, seems like poor marketing to some extent. Especially if big fin doesnt even know about the cover!?!?

I would agree, seems like poor marketing to some extent. Especially if big fin doesnt even know about the cover!?!?

Reason I say this is by design the hinge pin is threaded to assemble the two halves on every binoculars I have ever seen. I'd be baffled as to why they not allow that style of tripod mount unless they were worried about the weight hanging off one screw, but spotting scopes hang off a 1/4-20 most of the time. I'd really like to hear the reason for this if true.

Last edited:
Back