Yeti GOBOX Collection

Load Testing/Bullet Questions

IMR 4350 is pretty much the industry standard powder for 30-06.

I've had decent luck with RL19 in 30-06 as well, and RL 22 with 180 grain pills. Anymore, I try to stick to IMR 4350 with 165's since my rifle likes it.

I've never put much stock in the "most accurate" powder reccomendation in manuals. mtmuley

Best powder will give good balance of speed and accuracy.
I like Reloader 17 in the 30-06.

Some "experts" are starting to look at velocity nodes as the key. They claim once they find the velocity node for a given bullet and barrel they can get the same accuracy/precision results from multiple powders as long as they are all loaded to the same velocity. Seems like the key is working with an appropriate powder and tuning velocity and COL, but not worrying so much about which of the several appropriate powders you choose. I am too new to vouch for the truth of this viewpoint, but I will be keeping my eye on it as I progress in my learning.

Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to roll with the 4350. The only thing is that in the only manual that I have (Hornady) it doesn't list the loads for it. It does list it for other weights, but not 165s (Which I'm pretty set on at this point). Like I said above, Nosler does list it for 165s, but I'm thinking about starting with Hornady bullets. Should I just start low with the Nosler data and work my way up?

VikingsGuy - How about those Vikes?!?! I even cheered for them last weekend in the ice shack with a bunch of Vikings fans. Not sure how I feel about this upcoming game, but I think I still want them to pull it off.

VikingsGuy - How about those Vikes?!?! I even cheered for them last weekend in the ice shack with a bunch of Vikings fans. Not sure how I feel about this upcoming game, but I think I still want them to pull it off.

It was fun being in the stadium with my son, but frankly if we don't win Sunday the moment will definitely be tarnished. We caught a break, the kind of break that seems to be reserved for the Patriots and Packers, so that was a pleasant change. Hopefully we can be the next Red Sox, Cavs or Cubs -- I still remember being a 3yr old in tears watching the vikes lose to the chiefs in SB IV on a little black and white TV with dad (and so many heartbreaks we shared over the following 47 years).

It was fun being in the stadium with my son, but frankly if we don't win Sunday the moment will definitely be tarnished. We caught a break, the kind of break that seems to be reserved for the Patriots and Packers, so that was a pleasant change. Hopefully we can be the next Red Sox, Cavs or Cubs -- I still remember being a 3yr old in tears watching the vikes lose to the chiefs in SB IV on a little black and white TV with dad (and so many heartbreaks we shared over the following 47 years).

I bet. You know, it's never too late to switch to the Packers. Hudson is just a short half hour drive for you ;)

In all seriousness, I do hope they at least make it to the superbowl. All of my Viking fan friends are pretty respectful (most of the time) and I'd love for them to have their team have a bit of a Cinderella story to talk about.

I really hope that this isn't a dumb question, but I can't find an answer anywhere in the Hornady manual or the interweb. Are the powders that are listed in the Hornady manual listed from most to least accurate?

Another question that I would like to throw out there is this: I see that there is a lot of people saying that IMR 4350 is a great 30-06 powder and it's even the most accurate powder for 165 grain bullets in Nosler's online load information, but it's not listed in the Hornady manual. Would this be because they found the other IMR powders to be more accurate than this one or something? I can't really swing buying a bunch of powder right now, so if anyone has any powder recommendations for 30-06 with a 165 grain bullet I would definitely appreciate it. I'm sure that eventually I'll have the opportunity to try different loads with different powders to see which my gun likes best, but I would really like to start with something that I can get decent groups out of off the bat.

In my Hornady manual, IMR 4350 is listed for 165, 180, 190 and 220 gr bullet's. You don;t want to work up loads with all the expensive bullet's, work up with cup and core inexpensive bullet's and when you find a load you like try your high dollar bullet in it. Probably have to re-zero the rifle a bit and group could be a bit bigger but as long as it's about 1 1/2", go for it!

In my Hornady manual, IMR 4350 is listed for 165, 180, 190 and 220 gr bullet's. You don;t want to work up loads with all the expensive bullet's, work up with cup and core inexpensive bullet's and when you find a load you like try your high dollar bullet in it. Probably have to re-zero the rifle a bit and group could be a bit bigger but as long as it's about 1 1/2", go for it!

Just me, but this isn't the way to go about it. Different bullet types aren't plug and play for just any powder charge. Especially if you are a novice loader. mtmuley

I picked up a pound of H4350 and a box of 165 gr Hornady SSTs. Seems like I should be able to find something decent with that combination.

I'll check again, but I could've sworn that there wasn't anything listed in the Hornady manual for IMR 4350 at the 165 gr bullet mark. I probably completely missed something and will look again and find it.

I have found that IMR 4350 and H4350 loads vary about 1 grain. Google is your friend in loading also.

Just me, but this isn't the way to go about it. Different bullet types aren't plug and play for just any powder charge. Especially if you are a novice loader. mtmuley

I'll echo mtmuley. Developing loads with cheap bullets and then swapping them out for premium with the same charge is a dangerous move. A Hornady 165 Spire point bullet will have a completely different bearing surface than a Hornady ELD.
I've heard of several guys doing this with Nosler Ballistic Tips and Accubonds but don't recommend it because you only have 1 life to play with.

Don't overlook Sierra bullets either... more cost effective than Nosler and slightly better than Hornady and definitely accurate. The 168 HPBT is the mil spec bullet for sniper rounds so.....

Also, if IMR-4350 doesn't shoot, try IMR-4064.

PM me your email and I can send some more load data to you....

Don't overlook Sierra bullets either... more cost effective than Nosler and slightly better than Hornady and definitely accurate. The 168 HPBT is the mil spec bullet for sniper rounds so.....

Also, if IMR-4350 doesn't shoot, try IMR-4064.

PM me your email and I can send some more load data to you....

Mil-Spec is just shorthand for minimum specifications that work for the intended purpose...often the cheapest when it comes to military purchases. The 168 HPBT is not a bullet that should be considered for hunting.

Mil-Spec is just shorthand for minimum specifications that work for the intended purpose...often the cheapest when it comes to military purchases. The 168 HPBT is not a bullet that should be considered for hunting.

Agreed the 168 MATCH KING bullet isn't for hunting and even states that on Sierra's page.

Just trying to iterate that you don't need to spend 1+ bucks a bullet to get a quality, solidly constructed and accurate bullet. I don't think the paper or the animal is going to know who made the bullet that just punched the hole.:)

Are half grain increments going to be alright for my first ladder? Thinking 55-58. 30 rounds total. Should I start lower? 58.5 grains is max in the Hornsby book.

I usually start in 1 grain increments and then bracket the map st accurate load with .5 grain increments, and then .3 if I’m still not where I want to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

I totally agree. Are people really so poor that they can't spare an extra $20? You should be able to sight in a rifle after 50 rounds in the worst case.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back