Load Testing/Bullet Questions

Did you shoot 55.6? Were the 3 shots that grouped together at 55.3 consecutive shots or just part of the 5 shot group? Did you chrony the shots?
If you have time I’d recommend reshooting 55 and 55.3gr and also measuring your distance that lands. Seating depth IMO really is what helps shrink groups and create consistent loads.

If I remember correctly there were two consecutive, the low one, then one more in the group. I'll eventually definitely do some more experimentation on the loads and see if I can get a distance from the lands. I'm pretty sure there's a decent jump in my chamber judging by the length I measured with the SSTs a while back. I shot 54, 54.3, 54.6, 55, and 55.3. Ending at 55.3 as that was max. I'm sure I could go farther as I saw no pressure signs.

Unfortunately I don't own or have access to a chrono... at some point I'll make the investment.

Last edited:
50 may seem like a lot of bullets, but when I work up a new load I may try 3 or 4 powders with each bullet and will typically run 4-5 different powder weights. All told that matrix uses up bullets pretty fast - 4 powders x 5 weights x 5 shot group = 100 rounds in a work up. That is not unusual for me. Then you add in the fact that with Hornady's ELD-x I wasn't sure if my gun would like to 178g or 162g bullet better it gets out of hand pretty quickly. I has me thinking I need to move to an acreage where I can have my loading bench on one wall and shooting bench on the other...

More of a note for me than anyone else since I forgot my reloading book at home. I got to head over to a friend's house and chrono this years' hunting load. With Winchester brass, 55.3 gr H4350, 178gr ELD-X I'm getting 2716 FPS with a SD of under 10 with 5 shots. The SD of course opened up a bit after my first 5 shots to 16, but I'm still pretty proud of that!

I haven't read this whole thing so may be repeating something. Most group's like those just above are generally shooter error. I doubt you can fine tune a load enough to bring those so called flier's in. I think another thing he'll find is shooting three shots then putting the rifle up till completely cooled might help some. For a hunting rifle, three shot group's are fine. How many shot's do you think you'll get before Bambi's had enough of the noise and depart's. It's possible that the guy's barrel was not stress relieved and heat is causing it. About all you can do is cool the barrel out well before taking the 4, 5 and six shot's. In the end though I suspect your gonna find this to be shooter error. He should have someone that shoots well shoot the rifle and see if the same thing happens!

How was your max determined? By the book or some other means? Looks like it needs more powder to me. Have you tried a different primer? I’d stay with 3 shot groups also.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back